Chapter 8

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 8

(morning of the following day)

I was woken up by the loud noise coming from downstairs. It surprised me how someone managed to create such a commotion. Being my curious self, I went to find out what it was. It couldn't be Seulgi. She's quiet and can keep herself in control. So she wouldn't lash out. It must be someone else. Is it my father? Or it might be someone else. My father isn't stupid to come to his enemy's house after a crashing defeat.

As I was walking down the stairs, the noise started to make sense. It was someone yelling, I would even say scolding. Who could have the guts to raise their voice at Seulgi? Also that stranger has got to be a woman, but quite a loud one...

- Don't feed me that crap! You know you shouldn't have gone there! I freaking knew it! Why did you go, you mindless idiot! - the stranger kept raging, I guess this has to do with the gala. - What if you got shot somewhere else?! Huh?! What if he shot you in the chest?! What'd you do then?! You aren't immortal, God dammit! You're only human and recalling your words, you don't plan to change that! So please explain to me, why in the world would you go to that damn gala?!

I peeked out of the corner and saw a tall woman with shoulder-length black hair. She was taller than Seulgi. She had her arms folded on her chest and her right leg was stomping the floor furiously. Seulgi was standing there completely unaffected by all the yelling. As usual being the emotionally void self. I doubt she's capable of changing her facial expression and demeanor. Can she even smile? Doesn't matter...

- Why have you gone quiet now, huh? - the tall woman sounded victorious yet disappointed. - Is the all-powerful Kang Seulgi finally left speechless? - that sounded so mocking. And Kang? So that's her full name... It suits her. Kang Seulgi... I like the sound of that. - Come on, answer me! What made you do such a reckless and absolutely stupid decision?!  - Seulgi kept quiet. - Was it that girl? The one you got from Bae Ronald? Don't tell me you felt obliged to let her say goodbyes to her family and friends! Cuz if you did, you gotta change that! Seulgi, you cannot have friends, not to mention someone you care about! You know your work field doesn't allow it! She's just a daughter of a rich man with no knowledge of life! She can't fight, she can't create, she won't be able to survive! - Seulgi's expression got even more blank if that's possible. - Do you hear me?! Hey, don't get lost in that mind of yours when I'm talking to you! - the strander got even more enraged. - Oh, my God... It was because of her... Gosh Seulgi, I swear you're the most perfect human being I've ever met, but having a companion will be the end of you! Please, get rid of her! Don't keep her! 

Now I'm even more confused. Why can't Seulgi have friends and people to care for? Isn't she a simple programmer? I guess not. What could her work field be? What makes it so dangerous? And who's this woman? She definitely knows a lot about Seulgi. She knows her well enough to take Seulgi's thinking as an escape of the conversation. This lady intrigues me. Also, why would it be Seulgi's end if she were to have a companion? This is so complicated! Ugh... My brain is itching due to all these questions I don't have answers for. Companion... I think Seulgi and this lady have a tiny bit different understanding of that word. I think it's more valued and intimate than a lover or a marriage partner. Why though? I don't know...

- I can't. She's the one, Sooyoung. - Seulgi finally spoke.

What does that mean?! I am the one?! The one for what?! To fall in love with? I ain't sure. The one to become Seulgi's companion and then her 'end'? I don't want to be the reason for that... But I do wish to become her companion, whatever that means. I have a feeling that that's what I need... But do I want it? I wonder...

- No, no, no... - Sooyoung brought her hands to her head. - She can't be the one! - some sort of panic kicked in... - No way! It's too soon. Are you sure? How can she be the one? Seulgi, how sure are you? - the last question came out as a whisper.

- I am 100% sure. She is the one. I can feel it.

- But, but... - Sooyoung was at a loss of words. - Damn... This is so untimely! Why couldn't it happen later!? - the woman paced back a forth in front of Seulgi. She was holding her head between her palms, trying to make out something to say. She looked so tired and her hair has become misbehaved. - Seulgi! - Sooyoung grabbed the latter by the shoulders. - We can still change it, we can postpone it, we can...

- No, Soo. - Seulgi cut the other woman off. - We can't. I do not wish to. It's time. I'm getting tired. I don't want to be alone anymore, Soo. This is my chance. I'd prefer to die with a smile on my face than live in misery of coldness and emotional void.

Those words have cut my heart in half. It sounded just as monotonously, but I felt it. I felt the pain behind those words. I felt only a tiny piece, but it was more than enough. Just how lonely must Seulgi feel to become this desperate? I felt like crying. These words sure had enormous effect on me. The tears were already forming in my eyes. I wanted to move, to run, to do something. I wanted to cry out, I wanted to shout, I wanted to cry aloud. But all I could do was whimper and let the tears wet my cheeks, feeling utterly helpless. So very useless...

- I understand... - the taller woman gave in. - But still... Can we at least prolong it?

- It's not up to us anymore. It's a matter of time until the undoable happens. But she will become my everything before that. I won't die until she does.

Dang, this is depressing... I had no idea that I have gotten myself into a drama this big. This is such an unexpected blow. Why would Seulgi want me to become her everything? I can't even master up the courage to speak to her. How am I supposed to be something more? I don't know...

- It's time to go. - Sooyoung said after glancing at her watch.

- I'll go wake her up. Wait outside in the car until we come out.

With that Seulgi turned around and walked towards the stairs. But I was already running to my room, wiping my tears with the sleeve of my shirt. I got inside in time. Quickly jumping in bed and covering myself with a blanket. I pretended to fall asleep and turned around so that my puffy cheeks and teary eyes wouldn't be seen.

I heard the door slowly open. I heard the careful light steps approaching my bed. I felt a weight settle down on the side of my bed. And then I heard a voice that both broke my heart and made it flatter.

- I know you heard us, Joohyun. I guess you have many questions running in that smart mind of yours. I can't answer them all. Not yet, Joohyun. But the time will come. And you will know everything. It will break you, Joohyun. But you'll let it. And so you'll get stronger. I wish I could be there to admire that. But I won't. Until that happens though, I'll be here. By your side. I swear. Try not to think much of what you've found out. Your life will be so much easier that way. But knowing you... You will keep on thinking.

I turned around and saw Seulgi's back facing me. She looked relaxed. I'm glad she feels comfortable with me. And I believe everything she told me. But I don't know how to handle it for now. Slowly, Seulgi stood up and turned around. She locked yes with me, and I swear I almost drowned in them. But then, all that deepness was gone. Her icy eyes were back. I will do anything to see that warm ocean again!

- Get up, Joohyun. It's time for us to go.