Chapter 14

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 14

(continues somewhere some time later)

I woke up with an awful headache. I felt like it was going to crack in two. And my eyes were not seeing things due to my sight still being blurry and the place I was in being dark. While adjusting to the darkness and suppressing the headache I recollected the memories of my second kidnaping. How long was I out? And where am I? Silly questions... I'm probably at the place Kage's boss lives in. And about the time, what will me knowing it change? Nothing. Any sort of questions seems useless at the moment. I guess the only important ones are how am I gonna survive this and how am I gonna escape.

Since I'm in a nice king-sized bed and unharmed in my own clothes, they don't mean to do bad things to me... yet. I hope they won't change their mind. I wonder if the door is locked. Also where's the light switch?

I stood up from the bed and felt dizzy so I set back down. The second time I stood up, it was okay. Reaching for the wall I walked along it and soon reached some curtains. I decided to open them. The view that opened to me was breathtaking. I was in a skyscraper, probably at one of the highest floors. I could look over Tokyo and it was mesmerizing. Also it was dark outside, means right now is night time.

Then I turned to look at my room. And it was very decent. Wow, this man must be super rich. Probably more than my father. Does he have cancer? Like my mother? Cuz Seulgi gave something to my father, something connected to mom having cancer. So one of my guesses is that she can cure cancer...

But this doesn't quite add up to her being able to move after getting shot... Only if... Only if the sniper did not kill her. It means that Kage never intended to kill her. He knew the sniper would let her live, but it will be enough of a distraction to kidnap me. Why would he kill her, he needs something from her! Silly me, how could I miss it!

Now, is there anything else that I missed? Think, Joohyun, think! What else is there... The car chase! Seulgi said it was a warning, a warning meaning that someone will come for her soon. Were those guys also sent by Kage's boss? If they were, Seulgi knew something would happen. She knew and did nothing to stop it! Why?! Why did she let them get me and why did she let them shoot her? What's the point?

This is confusing. As always. Why is everything connected to Seulgi so freaking complicated?! So now I know that Seulgi wanted to meet Kage, wanted to let them take me away and wanted to get shot. How delightful! I should get out of this room. Don't wanna sit here and die of boredom.

I walked towards the door and tried the knob. Apparently, it wasn't locked. Why do all of my kidnapers leave the door open? I escaped into a hallway. There were two ways for me to go, I chose the left one. Soon I reached a staircase. So this is a penthouse. Nice, more places to hide. If necessary.

Reaching the lower floor I saw the local kitchen to the left. I was quite thirsty so I went there. It was a very expensive kitchen. What else did I expect? Nevermind. Anyways, I drank some water and since I'm the victim here, I also took a peek inside the fridge. And there was something really yummy, so I took it. That was sundae. I love it!

After satisfying my hunger and thirst I went to the living room that's attached to the kitchen. And relaxed on a black leather couch. I wonder when's someone gonna come and get me. This is a penthouse of a very rich man. It means there must be hidden cameras and tight security. So the owner of the place must already know of my awakening and presence. Why isn't he here yet? Or maybe he will send Kage instead? Doesn't really matter to me.

A few minutes later I heard heavy footsteps. I opened my eyes to see Kage walking towards me. Seeing me glare at him made the man stop and sit on a chair opposite of the couch. It was a comfy chair so he better sit there the entire time he's here.

- So you're the infamous Irene Bae, huh? - Kage started. Why's he calling me by that name? Does he not know my other name? - You've done something incredible, Miss Bae. You made an emotionless person feel again. Kang Seulgi doesn't feel. Doesn't get attached. And certainly, she never smiles. Never. At least not during the years that I've been monitoring her. An absolutely untouchable person, a person that can bring almost anyone down and a person who has the greatest power in the world. And you got that person wrapped around your finger! Aren't you wonderful?

For some reason what Kage was saying right now did not make me feel any better. I would say it made everything worse. It made me accept the fact that I'm the reason behind Seulgi's recent troubles. Just as both Sooyoung and Yerim predicted, I endangered Seulgi's life. But I shouldn't blame myself much. Seulgi knew the consequences of me staying with her and of her getting attached to me. So I won't blame myself. I can only blame myself for getting kidnaped for the second time! What did I ever do to deserve such a lifestyle? Forget it.

- I did not wrap anyone around my finger. - I said as coldly as I could. Seulgi's an awesome teacher of cold tones.

- No? You didn't? - Kage was playing with me. Why is he acting like a moron? Probably because he is... - I don't believe you. You see, if Kang did not feel anything for you then she would leave the moment I said you'd get killed. But she stayed. Even though she said that she doesn't mind me killing you, she stayed. It means she cares.

- Wouldn't it be dangerous to steal something from her that she values? - I asked. Inside I was feeling both stupid and happy. I could've of guessed this on my own if I thought harder.

- Oh, yes. It is very dangerous to steal anything from a fierce tiger. I had to do something risky. But it's working out so far, don't you think? You're here with no chance of escaping. The building got extremely tight security that even Kang Seulgi won't be able to go through. No matter how much of a genius she is, she won't get you out of here alive. And the only way is giving the boss what he wants.

- She won't. - I said and felt that it's absolutely true. No matter anything, Seulgi won't fulfill Kage's boss' desire.

- You're incredibly sure of it, Miss Bae. - Kage had an evil smile on his face. - What if Seulgi really doesn't care for you? Do you know what would happen to you then? - I shivered. Kage put his elbows on his knees and stared at me with intensity. - Nothing pretty would happen to you, Irene. And the end of your path would never be bright.

I wanted to ask `why wouldn't you let me go then?` but stopped myself. This question is very simple to answer. And I have already answered it myself. So I just sat there thinking of things I could never get an answer for. Such a useless thing to do, trying to guess what's gonna happen to you. You never know until it happens! Maybe when you know the people who affect your future, you may have a chance. But when you're in complete darkness, you can never know for sure what's awaiting you.

- Why are you silent now, Miss Bae? - Kage smirked. I hate him. - Cat got your tongue? Don't worry, Kang will definitely show up. The boss is sure of it. And he knows the lady quite well. I wonder how. The master still did not tell me what is it that he wants from the Kang. And all these years that I've been spying on her, I wasn't able to figure it out. It's maddening, Irene. Very maddening when you know nothing.

As if I don't know! I've been in the dark since I got kidnaped and my darkness doesn't seem to lighten up at all! Even when Seulgi gave me answers, it was still dark, but getting kidnaped for the second time made the blackness even darker! He doesn't know about Seulgi's `gift`, well that's the least of my problems when I'm around her! There are so many things that I don't know, but wish to. How dare he talk about the unknowing being maddening when he isn't in such a deep darkness as I am? Well, lets assume he's just less patient than me...

- Do you, - Kage's eyes sinfully sparkled. - Perhaps know something? Do you know what my master wants from the Kang?

Kage stood up and slowly walked towards me. Every step he took made my heart beat slower and slower. I was feeling scared again, but did not show it. Then he stopped right in front of me and crouched down. His face leveled with mine. And I saw his eyes up close. There was nothing good inside of them. They were dark, very dark brown. Almost black. And he had small cuts over his left eyebrow. Up close he was way scarier than from far away.

- Kang has feelings for you. Did they blind her enough to reveal the secret to you? - Kage cupped my face with his hands. I shut my eyes. This is disgusting. - Tell me, what is it that Seulgi has that everyone wants? Tell me! - Kage yelled at me and abruptly stood up. - You're also infuriating, Miss Bae. No wonder Seulgi chose you. If only boss didn't tell me to not touch you! - the man pulled at his own hair, turned around and left.

I released a breath that I perfectly knew I was holding. I don't want Kage to come back. He scares me. I felt an urge to cry. Where did it come from? Seriously, Joohyun? Why would you cry? Don't be a weakling. Weaklings don't survive around Seulgi. Remember that! Once I calmed down I went to get some water. I'm very thirsty.

- Irene Bae... - an very slow, old voice called out from behind.

The glass fell from my hand and broke after hitting the floor. This voice. I know it! I know it so well! This old man! I know who he is! He's the one who's after Seulgi?! No way! Why does it have to be him?! Why?!

I slowly turned around hoping that my ears have fooled me. But to my disappointment they didn't. As I turned around I saw that old man. The only person that was able to terrify my father. The only person that made him bow. The only person who killed my older brother. That one and only bastard whom I hate more than anything! Kazou Kin Hayakawa, the owner of the most powerful mafia group in Tokyo.

And I am his prisoner...