Chapter 10 Part I

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 10 Part I

(continue after landing)

The rest of the flight went peaceful and uneventful. Seulgi didn't come out the bedroom until landing. Sooyoung was busy with her own stuff. And I was way too deep in thought to notice anything around me. After the plane stopped and we got out, there was a car waiting for us. Guess what? It was an Audi again! Either Seulgi or Sooyoung must love this car brand to no end! Seriously, why is it always Audi? It's a good car, I don't have objections. It's just that... Why Audi? 

We got inside the this time black Audi. It was the same model as the one we left in Seoul. Our sitting positions did not change. Sooyoung started the engine and drove off. Turned out we came to Tokyo, Japan. What are we gonna do here, I wonder. Seulgi said we were leaving for business so I guess we're here exactly for that. But why is Sooyoung with us? Maybe she's working with Seulgi? Perhaps. I can't say for sure. This is maddening - not knowing things. But I'll figure them out, somehow.

- Sooyoung, speed up. - Seulgi suddenly spoke. It startled me. Sooyoung did as told. I was trying to figure out why did Seulgi request such a thing. I looked out the window and searched for something there. And I saw it. A black SUV was following us. It speeded up to catch up. - Joohyun, don't look. - I obeyed right away. Seulgi must want them to not know we figured them out. - Sooyoung you see them, right?

- Yes. A black SUV with tinted windows. How long have they been on our tail?

- Since four minutes ago. On the next crossroad roughly turn the car to the right and step on the gas. Contact Yerim, ask for directions. We have to lose them. - Seulgi instructed Sooyoung and then turned to me. - Joohyun, tighten your seatbelt and hold onto the door for dear life. Don't move and try to seat still and quiet.

I tightened the belt's hold around myself and grabbed the door's armrest. The atmosphere changed from a relaxed quiet to a tense serious. I did not like the transition. It was too sudden. My insides stiffened. And my mind flooded with stupid questions. Who was following us? Why were they following us? How are we gonna lose them? Will we crash? Who's Yerim? So many questions and all are left with no answers. I can guess forever and never find the truth. This is so frustrating! I hate being in the dark all the time!

As the crossroad came, Joy did a harsh turn and speeded up. The black SUV made an even more rough turn due to not expecting such a trick from us. And also increased its speed. Now they know we spotted them. They tried to catch up, but Sooyoung was an incredibly good driver. Despite the busy streets, we still managed to keep our followers at a safe distance.

Sooyoung pressed a call button on the panel and after a few rings someone picked up.

- Sooyoung? - a girly voice filled the car. Does this mean that Sooyoung is the owner of the car? Probably.

- Yerim, listen. - Seulgi talked instead of Sooyoung, who did another harsh turn. I was feeling carsick. I better calm down. Don't want to throw up now, do I?

- Seulgi? - the girl on the other end of the line named Yerim sounded surprised.

- Yes. Now, listen. Track this car. You'll see some SUV following us. Tell Sooyoung the directions so that we could lose them. And our final destination better be the base. Got it? - now Seulgi was talking business. I haven't heard this tone before. I must say, it's very alluring.

- Yes. I need forty seconds before I can track you. Wait. - the line went silent.

Our pursuers were as close to us as before. They won't be easy to escape. I hope, whoever Yerim is, she can help us. Judging by Sooyoung's hard face, she was having trouble trying to keep up the speed. The street kept on getting busier as we drove through it.

- Soo. Next crossroad take a turn. Then after two buildings turn left. There'll be a straight. Use your car's advantage in speed there.  As you reach the end, take a right turn. There do a zigzag path, first turn to the left, second to the right and so on until you are on a straight again.

- Got it. Keep in touch.

Sooyoung followed the given directions. I felt like I was in a movie. Two cars driving the city streets at crazy speeds. A person on the phone giving directions. And the main actors, the couple. Gosh, it felt so surreal. Yerim was right, on the first straight Sooyoung managed to distance us from the pursuers. And then came the said zigzag. Oh. My. God. I would never agree to go through it again! It felt so bad! I thought I would throw up each time the car skidded and I shut my eyes close each time we almost bumped into something. Thankfully, Sooyoung got to the second straight sooner than I threw up. My poor stomach was so mad at me...

- Great! - Yerim's cheerful voice filled the car. I've noticed Sooyoung relax her shoulders a bit. That's interesting. - They are far, so you got the time to disappear! Behind the second building to your right get into the underground parking.

- Okay! -Sooyoung exclaimed rather excitedly and sped up once again.

Just as Yerim said there was underground parking. For some reason it wasn't closed. Probably due to someone hacking it or it simply wasn't closed. Anyways, we got inside.

- Seulgi knows where to go next. Contact me anything happens. - the line was cut.

- Turn left. - Seulgi began her instructions. I wonder where are we going. - Now to the right... Again, left. we need to get inside that elevator. - Seulgi pointed at the car elevator in front of us. Why? Sooyoung seemed as lost as me, but still followed the commands.

Sooyoung drove the car in. Seulgi pressed button '-2' and we moved downwards. Once we reached the minus second floor Sooyoung drove out and Seulgi instructed her on where to go next. I a span of thirty seconds we reached an empty set of parking lots. Sooyoung parked the car and we got out.

- Follow me. - Seulgi said and walked away. Sooyoung and me followed skeptically, something felt weird. Are we gonna change cars? Or will we simply leave the building on feet?

First guess was right. We walked towards a white SUV. And guess what, it was Audi again! White Audi Q5. I swear to God, this is some extremely weird liking towards cars. Anyways, we got inside and Sooyoung got us out of the parking lot. The rest of the ride was peaceful and no one followed us. We arrived at some fancy house. I would even say estate.

- Whose house is this? - I asked Seulgi once we walked in.

- It's mine. - Joy said nonchalantly and walked away.

- Don't mind her. She is in a bad mood. - Seulgi explained and offered to take my coat. I gladly gave it to her.

- Who is Yerim? - I decided to test my luck further.

- Not yet, Joohyun. Not yet... But, good question. Though, I'm still wonder when are you gonna ask me the right question. That one question that I desire to hear so much. But you just don't ask me it. I don't know why.

What is it that Seulgi wants me to ask her? I really have no idea!

- What are we gonna do today? - I asked not really minding Seulgi's previous statement.

- You'll have a right to ask me ten questions tonight. Until then you're free to wander the estate. I have some business to attend.

And with that I was left alone once again. I think that if I were my before-kidnap-self I would be offended. But now I don't actually mind. I'm learning to enjoy the peace and quiet of loneliness. Don't know if it's a good thing or not. But that's what I'm feeling.

Since I had the freedom to do whatever wherever I went to a garden behind the house. It was really beautiful. Full of flowers, cute bashes and thin trees. It looked domestic and very comforting. Then I saw a big swing made of white leather under a fancy wooden gazebo. Three or even four people could sit on it. I decided to take a ride. Just as I sat down, my body sank in and relaxed. Gosh, it was so fluffy and soft and comfy! I closed my eyes and drifted off to dreamland under the warm sunlight and clear sky.

- I'm sorry. - a voice startled me. I opened my eyes and saw Sooyoung sitting beside me.

- Huh? - I made a quizzical expression not really knowing what she was apologizing for.

- For being harsh towards you when we arrived here. - Sooyoung explained while I only nodded. - It's just that this place has many memories. Mostly the bad ones.

- Why? - Sooyoung caught my interest.

- People died here. My best friend died here. In some sort of way, Seulgi died here as well. My parents also died here. I'm surprised that I haven't sold this place or burned it to ashes. I guess something still holds me, I'm still attached to this damn estate. You know, I even love it. Despite anything, I love this place. Yet it makes me so angry, frustrated and sad. It's my controversy. I want to get rid of this house yet I want it to stay forever. It's so conflicting. So forgive me for acting in a weird way, this place has effect on me. I get even more impulsive than I normally am.

This was way too much information to take in. What does she mean Seulgi died here? Who killed her best friend and parents? And why didn't she sell it? I'm unable to understand... Maybe she just cherishes the last memories of her parents that are sealed inside the house. I don't know. Seulgi becomes more of a mystery with each passing day.

- Joohyun, do you know what significance memories have?  - Sooyoung looked me right in the eyes for the first time. It felt overwhelming. Those eyes weren't calming as Seulgi's. No, they were full of pain and chaos. They were distracting and scary. They were full of desperation and need. What must have Sooyoung went through in order to have such hurt eyes? I'm dare not imagine.

- I don't think I appreciate them as much as you do. - I answered truthfully. Sooyoung broke our eye contact and nodded thrice.

- Yes, you don't. I want to tell you. You see, memories make us who we are. Whether we admit it or not. We might not even remember what made us this way, but it was a memory. we just can't find it. Our brain is very close to a computer in this case. In a computer you can search the needed file. It can be hidden on the surface or somewhere deep inside, it can be protected with a password or be open. Our brain works just like that. There's a librarian that runs around searching for a needed memory. Human's brain never forgets what the eyes once saw. You just may store that memory somewhere so deep that you can't reach it.  Most people don't remember what they did or said a second or minute ago. That's how ty their librarian is. All you need to do is train your librarian to search the memories you request. It's not easy, but a very realistic and quite reachable goal. Memories are the sources of knowledge for a person. You can have the knowledge but not remember where you got it. That's because that memory is well hidden. But here rises a question... Why do people forget things all the time? There's many reasons. You think that memory is useless and store in as deep as possible. You think the memory is very sad, why not seal it away so that it wouldn't cause you pain anymore? Or maybe even delete it? Humans can delete their memories but that's even harder than to train your librarian. Don't think I'm crazy, Joohyun. The scientists have proven most the things I said right now. And after meeting Seulgi, I finally understood the deepness of this knowledge. She showed it to me from a side I never saw possible. You'll see it one day as well. Just wait for it. Say, do you now understand why memories are important?

- Not quite. - I furrowed my brows, pushing my brain to work harder. - I understand that memories make us who we are. And without them we would be lost, but not useless. We could still have the knowledge those memories gave us. Is that right?

- Yes, it is. - Sooyoung smiled. She has a very charming smile. - Memories are important because without them you don't have a purpose, you don't know a part of yourself that could never be discovered through knowledge. Memories defined our past-selves. They define our present. But without knowing past and present you won't be able to change the future. It will all repeat itself. All your mistakes will happen again and again. Until you finally remember yourself. That's scary Joohyun. Not knowing who you were and having all that knowledge. It will drive you insane. It will change you. It will born a new you. Imagine having many versions of yourself stored inside one body. All are there but with no connection. They don't remember each other. Or maybe they are erased. And if you don't train your librarian, those memories will never return to you. Miracles aren't real Joohyun. I wish they were, but they aren't. Though Seulgi says that sometimes they happen. When the person deserves such a gift. I don't think I'm worthy of it. So I don't believe in miracles. Do you?

- I... I don't know. - I hang my head low. For some reason this simple question made me upset.

- Don't be sad, Joohyun. It's not like you have to have a defined opinion.

- Sooyoung, can I ask you something? - I carefully said.

- Well, you already did. But sure, ask away. - Sooyoung seems to enjoy talking to me. It makes me happy. As if I just made a new friend. A feeling so long forgotten. So childish. So warm. I love it.

- Why memories? Why did you talk exactly about them? I think you;re too smart to talk about them for no reason at all. Why did you tell me this?

My question made Sooyoung look me in the eyes again. But this time I wasn't lost. I stared back with determination and unwavering desire for an answer. Sooyoung, however, was taken aback by the question. She didn't expect it. Judging by the look in her eyes, she searched for something inside of me. Then she seemed like she was searching for an answer inside herself. Doubting about telling it or keeping to herself. Then she finally made the decision. And I started to feel anxious. The same feeling I felt when Seulgi first answered my questions.

- Joohyun, - Sooyoung's face turned cold stone. - Memories are a big part of everyone's life. And they are an even bigger part of Seulgi's. I told you about memories because you'll need this information to figure Seulgi out. I can't tell you the truth entirely. But I gave you enough hints to start thinking. I believe that you can find out half the story by asking Seulgi one of the questions she so desperately wants to hear. Or you can ask her a question you derive from what I've told you now. It's up to you to decide. This path will never be easy. But I have no doubt anymore. You will succeed if you try hard enough.

With that Sooyoung stood up and left me to search my mind for answers. Once again completely lost in the information given out. I'm starting wonder if they do it intentionally. Telling me things and then leaving to let me think them over. But I don't have time to question their actions. I only have time to find that one question...