Chapter 16

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 16

(continue from where we left off)

- So, - Kazou brought me out of my raging thoughts. He held an amused expression. - Want to know what happened next?

Do I? Well, my conscious tells me to know the whole story, however my heart wants to hear none of that due to being swallowed by fury and hurt. I wanna know why Sehun had to die. I know that he was shot, right in the heart. But I need to know why. Of course I'm already jumping to all kinds of conclusions and blame most of my suffering on Seulgi. Though, there's something tugging me inside. Something that sees the situation rationally. Unfortunately, or on the contrary fortunately, I can't trust Kazou fully. I knew that there was truth in his words. I just didn't know how much.

- Yes. - I tried to calm myself down and be in somewhat peaceful state. I mean what good am I if emotions rule over my brains?

- Okay. - Kazou nodded, slightly disappointed. Did he expect another answer? - The woman introduced herself as Kang Seulgi. She told me that my life can be saved and she has everything to do so. However, she had one condition. Of course I knew I had to pay, we discussed it with Mrs Hwang. But Kang wanted something quite odd. She said that the price had to be the thing I cherished the most. At the moment I was confused as to what she meant. Then Sehun asked her if she meant my empire. It's true that I love what I created, but Kang knew that it wasn't what I held dearest. She said that she'd claim her price once I receive the treatment. It was weird and strange. She never said what she wanted exactly. But I had a sick feeling in my gut. Despite that, I ignored the off-putting feeling and agreed to whatever she said. That was foolish of me.

- Was it my brother, that she wanted as payment? - I asked. It was a logical guess. Seulgi took me from my father as payment. And I see that Kazou cared for Sehun. Meaning, she might have taken him just like me. But that doesn't explain why she killed him.

- How'd you know? - Kazou looked at me in surprise with newfound interest.

- Just a lucky guess. - I shrugged nonchalantly. Kazou squinted his eyes at me, not quite trusting my excuse. but since he had no proof, he let it go.

- Yes, on the day I received the treatment, Sehun disappeared. - Kazou clenched his fists. - My people had no idea how or when he vanished. All of his things stayed except for his recent research. I hired the best people in the field to find Sehun. Nothing was discovered. And then a month later, I found Sehun shot right in the chest lying on the floor of his apartment in a pool of blood. And in his right fist was a crumpled piece of paper saying 'you didn't love him enough, for you gave him up to save yourself'.

And at that moment my entire being froze for the second time. That phrase was for sure something Seulgi would say. But what Kazou just said doesn't necessarily mean that Seulgi shot him. Though it could still be her. For some reason I was feeling even more confused than before. Right now my brother's killer stood under question mark once again. Just why in the world is my brother's death so mysterious and complicated?! I can't trust anyone, Seulgi certainly played some role in the murder and I bet Kazou did too, at least by selling my brother. Honestly, my hatred for him has resurrected itself and was coming up with more force than before. I mean such a note ain't no joke. Kazou really did kinda sell my brother. But he says that it was a huge mistake... but still did not apologize!

- So how does this prove Seulgi to be the killer? - I asked beginning to feel irritated for some reason. I quickly switched my demeanor back to stoic before my feelings got out of hand.

- Huh? - Kazou looked at me as if I had grown another head. Did he seriously accuse Seulgi without proper proof?! - Oh, that. There was a security camera that caught Kang entering the apartment and leaving in a few minutes after. Exactly during Sehun's estimated time of death.

Kazou had a victorious smirk up his face. That pissed me off, but I hid it. So he thinks he won, huh? What're you trying to do, Mr Hayakawa? What a nice question! Let's debate over Kazou's intentions. The most obvious one would be to distance me from Seulgi. That he managed to do. My mysterious and overly alluring Kidnaper Number One will have a lot of explaining to do. What else could Kazou be trying to achieve? My vulnerability? Maybe my desire to get revenge on Seulgi? Or he might want my cooperation in whatever evil deeds he's planning. He could also simply want to tell me the truth. But why? This is so damn hard! Ugh...

I swear, trying to guess whatever is always tiring my brains out. It's like playing Battleship and never knowing if you hit your opponents ship until the very end of the game. It's also extremely frustrating. I better stop this useless activity before it drives me mad and delusional.

- That could still not be her. - I rationally argued.

- Mmhm... - Kazou nodded. - Well, that's up to you what to believe. There was no one else in his apartment for months. I highly doubt it wasn't Kang. 

- Do you still not feel sorry? - I asked clearly getting that he blamed absolutely everything on Seulgi. Did that note not make Kazou realize his deed? I mean Sehun deserves a 'sorry' at least. 

- About what? Agreeing to let Kang save my life, no. Letting her kill Sehun, yes. I didn't want to admit it, but I cared for you brother way more than I gave credit for. 

- But you cared for yourself more. - I'm behaving like a child. Seriously, Joohyun?! You're telling Kazou to care more about your brother than about himself. I bet you would choose yourself too. Though, maybe not. But it's more likely that you would. 

- Yes, I did. And still do. Humans are selfish and greedy creatures, Irene. - Kazou stared at me with a lifeless look in his eyes. - If I had to chance to change the past, the only thing I'd change would be saving Sehun. But I wouldn't let myself die. I want to live and need to live. No one in their right mind wants to die. Tell me, would you rather die instead your brother? - Kazou sinfully devoured me with his eyes.

- No. - my answer is quite obvious. Sadly, Kazou is right. No one in their sane mind would want to die. And I'm afraid of that. I am terrified of dying. 

- You aren't much different from me, Irene. Yet you still blame me for wanting to live. - Kazou shook his head lightly and smiled.

He's right. Now I know it. And accept it. I get it why father gave me away. I get it why Kazou let Sehun die. I guess Kazou had quite an effect on me, because now I blame Seulgi. I loath Seulgi. I don't understand Seulgi.Why is she playing with such things? Such basic survival instincts? What's the point of taking away a person's most loved possession? And why are those always other people? How many died before Sehun? Am I gonna die too?

Don't be ridiculous! Yeah, I'm being so silly. Letting Kazou sway me so much. I am so weak as of right now. Getting manipulated this easily. Hah! What a shame I am. I need to get away from this conversation. I'm losing and fast. My defenses and awareness are fading away. Kazou is good at this. Way too good. And I'm not experienced enough to resist him for long. I better pull myself together before something bad happens.

- Boss. - a voice startled me. I turned my head to see where it came from. There in the doorframe stood Kage with a rather tense expression. - You have a guest.