Chapter 22 Part II

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 22 Part II

(continues where left off)

- How was your flight? - the blond woman asked staring directly at Seulgi. And the Kang returned it with as much intensity.

- Not enjoyable. But bearable. - Seulgi sipped her tea. - How are things around here?

- Everything is under control. Though we had to get rid of a nuisance. Mr Shik crossed the line.

- It was expected. Everything is cleaned, I suppose?

- As it always is. - the blonde smiled slightly. Seulgi's mouth curled upwards as well.

- Then things are good. - Seulgi put down her cup and dug into the porridge.

- Interesting companion you've got this time, Seulgi. - the blond woman once again destroyed the silence as everyone finished their food and got teacups refilled.

- Indeed. - the brunette beside the blonde commented. I was starting to feel uncomfortable under the two pairs of eyes on me. 

- Do elaborate, Taeyeon. - Seulgi put down her tea cup and placed her hands flat on the table. I looked up at Seulgi, but her sight was utterly focused on the woman at the head of the table. Sooyoung caught my eyes and gave a little reassuring smile.

- Clearly a person of worth. - Taeyeon tore her gaze off me and met Seulgi's sight. I could feel the tension skyrocketing. What is it with these two? They are behaving as if they are rivals and yet they are sharing breakfast and Taeyeon let Seulgi into her home. Then they are most likely doing some business together. So why is there so much challenge in the air? - Strong. Decisive. Smart. Yet a little naive. That needs fixing. Curious, a very dangerous trait. Most definitely daring. And a born fighter. Perfect package to survive in our world. 

- Indeed. - the brunette chimmed in once more. 

- Is that so? - Seulgi rather stated than asked.

- Many would kill for such a partner. So many. - Taeyeon glanced at me. - Better keep her close, Kang. Our work doesn't tolerate attachments. 

- You're one to talk. - Seulgi said and instantly Taeyeon's face darkened and I had chills all over myself. Her persistent gaze turned into a piercing glare. And I could see that Seulgi was regretting her choice of words.

Holy Moly! Did I just witness The Kang Seulgi submitting to someone?! Who the hell is this Taeyeon?! I understand that Seulgi submitted due to respect, not due to fear. But still!

- Relax, love. - the brunette made Taeyeon look away from Seulgi and focus on her. - We payed our price. Seulgi is capable enough to beat the system. But of course, everything has a price. Both pleasure and punishment. And it will catch on no matter how fast you run. That's life.

Silence enveloped the hall. Taeyeon was battling herself wether to give in to the brunette or not. Sooyoung kept on sipping tea, I was staring at the couple at the head of the table. And Seulgi drifted off into the insides of her mind. After what seemed like forever Taeyeon sighed and leaned back in her chair. I stole a glance at Seulgi and she was still deep in thought.

- Do you have any questions to ask, Irene? - Taeyeon called out. She was back to her calm self. And I had so many questions that I couldn't chose one to ask.

- Who are you? - I blurted out before I could even comprehend the question and it's possible consequences.

- Kim Taeyeon, a drug lord. Pleasure to meet you. - Taeyeon smiled her, I guess, signature 'innocent' smile.

Drug Lord?! I'm in the home of a drug lord?! It took my whole being to not give out the storm of emotions I felt on the inside. How can a drug lord look so innocent?! Why is Seulgi associated with such a person?! Was this estate bought with the 'sold drugs' money? Taeyeon must be huge. I wonder is there are any grass fields on this territory. I bet Taeyeon has a farm somewhere nearby. 

- That's a rather poor description of yourself. - Sooyoung commented as she put down the empty teacup. - Taeyeon is way more than just a drug lord.

- Why don't we ask Seulgi? - Taeyeon smirked slightly.

- Everything has a beginning. - Seulgi returned to reality. - Taeyeon is mine.

Huh? I'm dumbfounded. This is getting really confusing. What kind of beginning is Seulgi talking about? Beginning like a parent? Beginning like a teacher? A life savior? An employer? 

- Interesting how it works. - Taeyeon spoke. I didn't bother look at her. I was just blankly staring at the air in front of me. But my ears were catching every word the blond woman said. - You think the answer will solve something, but it only opens a door to much more questions. The deeper you go, the more you want to know. It's a never ending journey. Unless you have mind bounds that won't let you reach the infinite. Every person has a ceiling to their growth, where would you stop?

Now I can clearly see where Seulgi got her manner of speaking from. Taeyeon must have been her teacher. One thing solved. But if we consider what Taeyeon just said, the issue is only opening up. In case I want to know more, there are questions to ask. Each time you get an answer the picture becomes more detailed. But the depth of the picture really does depend on you. I'm starting to get what Taeyeon just said. This is awesome!

- There is no point in stopping while you're alive. Would death be the ceiling or another beginning? - I asked and saw Taeyeon's eyes gleam with excitement.

- Wonderful! - Taeyeon leaned forward and intertwined her hands on the table. - How do you think? What defines the beginning? What defines the end? Would it be a two sided coin or completely different things? Does downfall signify end? But what kind of downfall are we considering then? The humanity drowned in sins? Or the extremely developed technology? But isn't that considered a progress? So one field is weighing down, but the other is up in the clouds. What would outweigh?

Okay, Taeyeon. Not so fast, please! I'm not yet at the level of skill to accept this much information at once.

- It isn't our decision. - Seulgi butted in. - We're stuck in a system. And even if we leave it's boarders, we can only observe. To stand above to system you've got to evolve. But once you do, would the question even make sense? The way your mind changed will define how you view the world. So what would be the objective point of view? Every person has only a subjective point of view. So who gets to decide the rules of right and wrong? 

- Escaping the system is impossible. - Taeyeon took the lead back. Both women had fire in their eyes. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't understand it. The complexity of the things they are discussing... I wouldn't ask myself such questions even if I was dying of boredom. What kind of person do you have to be in order to think that way? - There is always a cycle. A system inside another. Passed one level, now pass the other. But is the end even there? Or would it be another beginning yet again? The illusion of Grand Finalé is so tempting. We all want it to end. Only a few have the strength to go on. At which level will you be content with the things you possess? 

- That's the point of life. You're not supposed to stop. Ever. Life is a never ending journey. - Seulgi finished and I could feel that these two geniuses were finally feeling pleased. They had a conversation with a person who's their equal, who can understand them. The relief that comes with letting out your emotions is exactly what they felt. They've got a weird way of showcasing emotions though. Seulgi and Taeyeon enjoy the process of intense thinking. And that is something I won't ever stop admiring.

- You done? - Sooyoung asked. - Irene's in awe.

- This happens ever time, dear. - the brunette spoke up. I locked eyes with her and they were really warm. Radiating kindness. This woman is like a balance for Taeyeon. The bright side of Yin Yan. They complete each other. A perfect match. Am I it for Seulgi?

- Well, we went away into the lyrics. - Taeyeon's facial expression softened up after the brainstorming she performed with Seulgi. - Let's get back on topic.

- Is he here? - Seulgi asked. My heartbeat increased. I almost forgot that today I was supposed to meet up with my brother! Jeez, these smartypants are pulling me in too easily. I've gotta toughen up.

- He is. - Taeyeon took a napkin and wiped even though it was perfectly clean. Then she stood up. - It's time that we wrap up our lovely breakfast. I've got matters to attend. And you've got plans to be completed. I wish you all a good day.

With that Taeyeon left the dining hall along with the brunette. My gaze lingered a little too long on the door they disappeared behind.

- Interesting pair, aren't they? - Sooyoung asked with a smirk on her face and arms crossed below her chest.

- Very. - I nodded in confirmation. - Who was the other lady?

- Tiffany Hwang. An angel with a temper. And Taeyeon is whipped. - Sooyoung is such a great person to have around. She perfectly defuses any hard thoughts or headaches after a tiring conversation. Like water if you add it to wine. Sooyoung's nickname should be 'dilution' or 'stress reliever'.

- It's time we leave too. - Seulgi stood up. Her eyes locked with mine. - Your brother is waiting.

We left the dining hall and returned to our rooms. There we changed into casual clothes and headed out somewhere afterwards. I was feeling nervous about the meeting. Am I even ready to see my brother after so many years? Well, doesn't matter now. Seulgi already brought me into this mansion. And there is no way back. I should man up. 

While we were walking through the many hallways of the mansion my eyes were seeking for windows. There were many. And the scenery beyond them was breathtaking. The handmade garden was aesthetically beautiful and I couldn't wait to go there. If I get the chance of course. There also were a few hangar-like buildings. And a big tennis court. I wonder what is on the other side of the mansion. By far I've only seen the side where we came from. I wonder who designed this place. I suppose it's Tiffany who manages everything around here. She's done an outstanding job, I have to say.

Suddenly Seulgi and Sooyoung came to a halt. We were at a deadend. Did we get lost? Then I saw Sooyoung do something fishy with the walls and Bam! The wall in front of us slid into another and a hidden passage opened before our eyes. This is really cool! Like in the movies. I know I'm being childish. Let me have my moment. 

Anyways. We entered the hidden hallway and the wall slid back into place. I wonder what was it made of. By sound it was really heavy. We made about twenty steps forward as we reach an elevator. It was rather fancy. Now I felt like I was no longer at a vintage royal-like mansion, but at some high tech skyscraper. We got into the elevator and Sooyoung pressed number 3. That was the biggest number available on the panel. And so we moved down.

The elevator arrive and we were back in same colored and styled hallway as before. There were two doors. One to the left from elevator and one to the right. Also there was a white sofa as if this hallway was a waiting area.

- Your door is on the right. - Seulgi said and my eyes concentrated on the door that stood before me and my brother.

- Good luck. - I tore off my eyes of the door and looked at Sooyoung. She was smiling warmly. 

- Thanks.

I came closer the the door. Inhaled. Exhaled. And pulled the handle...