Chapter 5

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 5

(time skip to the day of the gala, which is five days later from the previous chapter)

For the past five days my life's been normal. I would cook us breakfast. Then Seulgi would disappear into her office till late evening. And once she's done with work she'd cook us dinner and we would have a small talk. Honestly, I would get bored easily, but those midnight talks kept me entertained.  

Seulgi says that after the gala we will leave the country. She has some business overseas. I don't quite understand what her job is. She only says that she's a programmer. But why would she need to travel in that case? I guess another secret to be discovered has been added to my waiting list.

I am honestly feeling anxious. Today is the day I say goodbye to my past life and welcome my new one. Today I see my best friend for the last time. Today I see my family for the last time. Today I breathe in Seoul's air for the last time. My future is so uncertain, I have no idea what it's gonna be like. 

I realized that I lost control of the flow of things. And the only way to get it back is to handle Seulgi, to earn her trust. She promised me the world, so why not get it? I only need to tame this hideous beast of a person. 

I've been thinking about it for a while. Controlling Seulgi can never be a direct thing. It has to be done indirectly, through various manipulations. I have to adapt to her likes and dislikes, I have to learn them. I need to know every part of Seulgi's mind, her every weakness, her every strength. In order to manipulate someone like Seulgi, you have to carefully press buttons and act a certain way to make her see things the way she wants to, not the way they are. I have to be great with words and persuasion. I have to be great at acting and moving the way she'd enjoy it. There's a lot of work for me. But I love it. It makes my life exciting.

 

I put on the last touch of makeup and leave the bathroom. Tonight I look gorgeous. Seulgi took the dress I bought from the car the day she kidnaped me. It still surprises me how'd she know it was mine. I'm wearing a black dress with a v-cut on the back. Seulgi said it perfectly showcases my curves and natural beauty. I guess she was right.

I walked downstairs. Seulgi was already waiting for me at the door. She looked y. Very attractive. In those tight black pants, black turtleneck and black blazer. Now she looked more of a person to kidnap someone. I guess I'll never let it go...

- You look beautiful, Joohyun. - Seulgi stated the obvious. Honestly, I don't know how to feel about her complimenting me. She says it so monotonously that I can't take it seriously. It's as if a robot is talking to me. But that's Seulgi's normal demeanor. So no surprise there.

-  Thank you. You look great as well. - I said with a smile. Seulgi just nodded her head. Now that I think about it... Seulgi doesn't smile. She never once did it for the past five days. I wanna see that smile...

 

I stood at the door outside waiting for Seulgi to get a car out of the garage. What cars does she have? She told me she likes fast ones. Does she have a sportscar by any chance? A car showed up and it was a white Audi R8. A beautiful sportscar. I always wanted one, but dad didn't buy it for me. He said that I ain't that good at driving. He was right by the way. 

I hopped inside and Seulgi drove off. The entire ride was silent. We arrived at my parents' mansion. Still as gracious as ever. I'm feeling excited to see my father's and mother's faces. What would they say to me? Would they ask for forgiveness or act like nothing happened? 

And Wendy, of course. I am looking forward to our last hangout. Bet she would cry like a baby. I have an entire legend prepared to tell her. I am leaving overseas for a better life (education). I broke my phone and haven't bought a new one yet, that's why I was out of reach. I was too busy packing my things to leave the house. And lastly, Seulgi is my personal bodyguard/driver/babysitter who follows me wherever I go.

Seulgi took my arm and led us to the entrance. Before coming in, she gave my hand a loving squeeze. That was unexpected. Such care and emotional support. I didn't think Seulgi is capable of that... I looked her in the eyes and could've sworn, I saw something warm in them for the first time! But then she looked away and we walked inside the mansion.

 

Once the blinding lights hit my eyes, I felt a shiver run down my spine. The first thing I saw was my father's deathly glare towards none other than my 'date'...