Chapter 6

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 6

(continue from where we left off)

Many different scenarios ran through my mind. Many questions popped up. But it all vanished once Seulgi tagged at my hand. I got out of my thoughts to realize that we're already standing next to my dad. And his eyes are burning in fury. I felt like he wanted to rip Seulgi apart right there and then. Why though? Didn't he choose me over something else? Why is he so mad now? After an intense stare down with Seulgi, my father averted his gaze towards me. I stiffened. His hand rose in the air and tried to reach my cheek.

- Mr. Bae, - Seulgi's emotionless cold as ice voice gave me goosebumps. - Do not touch what's not yours anymore.

Every word felt like a ton of pressure. So overpowered and commanding. My father was mad, his face became red, but he took away his hand. I guess even he can't disobey such an authorative tone. When he looked at me again, I set up a stone face. I do not have any feelings towards this man anymore. Selling your own child, what can be worse than that? Seeing rejection in my eyes completely broke him. Father turned around and left without saying a word.

- Thanks. - I said. Not sure why, not sure what for. But I said it nonetheless.Seulgi only nodded in return.

We walked to a nearby table. I took two glasses of wine from the waiter. One for myself and the other for Seulgi. I offered it to her, but...

- I don't drink alcohol at all, Joohyun. And I suggest you to not drink it either. It destroys your brains and your body. My work requires brains and I love my body so I don't drink this poison.

Seulgi leaned back in her seat and disappeared in her own mind as always. I guess she doesn't want to talk to me much tonight. Is she giving me time for myself or did I do something that made her upset? Guess I'll find out once we get back home. My eyes wandered away into the space filled with people. And then I noticed the familiar looking dress. And the person locked eyes with me.

- Irene!!! - a piercing scream startled everyone in the room, except for Seulgi. She only left her thoughts to observe the scene unfolding before her. Wendy ran towards me and just as I stood up she engulfed me in a tight hug. - You have so much explanation to do! I missed you!

- I missed you too. - a smile involuntarily sneaked up my face.

- My parents told me you're leaving abroad! Is it true? And they said some personal driver dropped me home! Irene you never had a woman as your driver before! And I tried to call you! You weren't picking up! I also called your mom! She's said you're busy packing! I wanted to come and help but was rejected! What the hell happened that day?! - Wendy spitted the words out so fast! She was gasping for air.

- Calm down, you idiot. Yes, it's true. I'm leaving to get a better education. - I was about to say more, but got interrupted.

- But you're in your last year of university, why would you suddenly fly off? - Wendy whined.

- Because my dad said so. Then my phone broke and I still haven't gotten a new one. And I was really busy packing. Also now I have a babysitter of a bodyguard who follows me everywhere I go. - I nodded at my kidnaper with a scoff.

- Hi, there, - Wendy's eyes bulged out of its sockets. - Whoa... This is your bodyguard? - Wendy looked at me with disbelief. Seulgi didn't have any reaction.

- Yeah... - I raised a brow at my best friend.

- But she's smokin' hot! - Wendy aggressively whispered in my ear. Now it was my turn to look at Wendy in disbelief.

- Stop crushing at my bodyguard, Wendy. Sit down and let's talk. For I'm not sure when we'll see each other again.

Seulgi was there but I doubt she was interested in our conversation. She seemed to be deep in thought. What is she thinking about all the time? Don't people usually try not to think about anything during their free time? And play on their phones or something? Well, that's not the case with Seulgi.

- Does your bodyguard even hear us? - Wendy cautiously whispered.

- She does. Why?

- Well, her eyes are so blank that I think this is just a body bag in front of me. Like, look at her. It's as if she isn't even here!

- I think you are right, Wen. But I can assure you that she hears every single word we say.

- Really? - my best friend gasped overdramatizingly. - So she heard me? I'm sorry.

We stopped talking. I turned my head to look at Seulgi. She's as quiet as ever. It honestly very scary when the person is so good at observing. She seems like she hears nothing when in truth she knows it all. But I wonder why she has to 'be gone' in order to observe? Or is she multitasking? Like thinking about something and taking in  the surroundings. You never know...

- Hey, Rene. - Wendy patted my shoulder. - Your parents are walking this way.

I turned around and saw my parents. They were indeed making their way over to out table. What does my father want now? Is mom aware of what he's done? With Wendy here I can't know for sure. I felt Seulgi come back from her thoughts. It surprised me, I have accustomed to her presence already.

- Hello Mr. And Mrs. Bae! - Wendy greeted the politely. My mom gave her a hug and dad simply smiled.

- Joohyun, darling, come here! - my mom called oh-so-lovingly. It made me believe she was innocent. Maybe she was. I don't know. I looked at Seulgi and she nodded in return. I guess I can give my mom a hug. - I missed you. - she whispered in my ear and then let me go.

- Seulgi, can we talk? - dad wasn't furious this time. But I felt something off about him.

- What for, Mr. Bae? Did the transfer not work? - Seulgi's tone was different from that possessive one of the first encounter with my father.

- No, it did work. - something was battling inside my dad. Thankfulness and hatred. Why is that? And what transfer are they talking about? Is it the one I was sold for? Well at least now I know that dad got what he wanted.

- Then I don't see any reason for the two of us to talk, Mr. Bae. - this answer caused my father's eyes to darken. He was getting angry. Just how easy is it really to make him loose control? I never thought that he was that easy of a man.

- Joohyun, come over here. - this was more of a command rather than request.

- Mr. Bae. - this tone of Seulgi's is by far the scariest. It sounded so powerful and authoritative. But at the same time threatening and frosty. I swear that both Wendy and I got scared. - Don't do something you will regret. - It was said slowly and calmly but it felt nerve wrecking and torturous. 

- Joohyun, come over here. - this time dad was more demanding. It made me flinch.

- Last warning, Mr. Bae. - despite the threat Seulgi showed no emotion. You'd expect such words to be said through clenched teeth or in a growl like manner. But Seulgi was absolutely calm. How does she do that?

- Joohyun, get away from that person! - dad raised his voice. I saw guards coming out of the crowd. What is going on? Is he trying to get me back? Why is Seulgi so calm? Why does she do nothing?

I didn't move an inch. Father was about to say it again, but Seulgi stood up. She looked me in the eyes as if to say that it's gonna be alright. And then looked at my father. He looked so determined, but he didn't look like he'd won. No he was still feeling afraid. Scared of the woman beside me.

- Joohyun, move away. - father hissed at me. I shook my head no. He was overflowing with fury. He looked mad. - Farewell.

 

The next thing I heard was a loud, deafening, terrifying... gun shot...