Chapter 21

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 21

(next morning)

I woke up with a surprisingly light head and bright smile plastered on my face. I felt excited. The determination to succeed in the deal was making my blood boil, but in a good way. I quickly did my morning routine and went down to the kitchen. Sooyoung was already there cooking something that smelled delicious. Sometimes I wonder if she was a super nice and caring landlord who makes breakfast and cleans the house for those living inside. 

- Good morning! - I smiled brightly at Sooyoung and she stared at me weirdly.

- What's gotten into you? - she asked with a brow raised and a spatula in her hand. She looked rather ridiculous. I should mention that she also wore a pink apron with white puppy dog face on it. 

- Nothing, I'm just happy. - I shrugged and peeked at what Sooyoung was making.

- Yah! - Sooyoung slapped my nape with her spatula. - Get your nose outta my food!

- Was the thing clean? - I asked worriedly.

- Lucky you. It was. Now go somewhere else and don't interrupt me when I'm cooking. Write down a note so you don't forget.

With that I bowed slightly and skipped to the living room. That's where I saw Seulgi. She was furiously typing something on her laptop. I don't mean that she's angry. She's just so fats that her fingers seem like shadows. I guess that's what an IT specialist should look like when they work, right? Anyways, I cam closer and sat next to her. Seulgi did not tear her attention off the laptop. When I've seen the literal kilometers of code running down the screen my head felt dizzy. Yeah, I'm definitely not gonna be a programmer, ever. 

- Good morning. - I said cheerfully and Seulgi looked at me. Then she smiled and my heart skipped a millions beats. I noticed that her fingers were still typing while her sight was definitely fixed on my eyes. How does she do that?! Blind typing is more impressive than I expected.

- It is indeed good. How was yours sleep, Joohyun? 

- It was nice as always. I don't think there's anything special about the way I spend my nights. The only thing I do is sleep like a dead. Though I do get dreams quite often. - I took a pause and glanced at Seulgi's running fingers. Seriously, how can she type while talking to me and holding my gaze?! - What kind of dreams do you have?

- I don't have dreams. I haven't had them for years now. - with that Seulgi turned her attention back to the laptop. Did I touch a nerve? Most likely I did. - What do you dream of, Joohyun?

- I don't really remember. Some stupid dreams probably. - I said nonchalantly.

- A smart person shouldn't have stupid dreams. However if they do, then something is wrong. It's either they aren't at ease or something/someone around them is tense. Stupid dreams aren't supposed to come to smart people. I don't really appreciate dreams, Joohyun. I think that fantasizing and living in a dream reality you created in your mind is bad. Instead of living in the real world and facing real problems people lock themselves in their fantasies and persuade themselves that everything is fine, that there are no problems. I hate such people. I hate people ignoring and running away from reality. - Seulgi's fingers halted to a stop. She closed her laptop and looked at me. - Try memorizing your dreams next time. Something interesting might come out of it.

- How do you know so much? - I was once again blown away by Seulgi's uncommon knowledge.

- I observe alot. If you look into things more carefully you'll see that knowledge is everywhere and those who seek it will get it. But so little people want to know more that the information is hidden. But for those who seek, it will always open up. You're the seeker, Joohyun. Just look and you'll see. - Seulgi stood up and looked down at me. - Let's go for a walk after breakfast. Shall we?

- Yes.

So as promised after breakfast me and Seulgi went out for a walk. The house we're staying in has lots of greeneries around so we simply moved along the empty streets. This is a good neighborhood. I like it here. In a few minutes we reached a small park and stepped onto endless track of it's small roads. And some time later Seulgi broke the icy silence.

- I'm sorry for letting Kage take you. - Seulgi was wearing a white shirt that was flapping in the wind and black skinny jeans ripped at knees. She kept her hands hidden in the jeans pockets. - I won't let him do that ever again. This I promise.

- Don't blame yourself. - I replied softly. - I didn't get hurt. And you got me back. Everything is alright. Though I would appreciate it if we wouldn't get to meet Kage anymore.

- You're worried more about Kage rather than Kazou? - Seulgi looked at me curiously. Wow, Seulgi's been showing more emotions since yesterday's deal. I like this sensitive side of hers. It's amusing and for some reason alluring as well.

- Kazou doesn't seem to be as crazy as Kage. So yes, I personally dislike him more. 

- Hmm. - Seulgi hummed and my heart swelled with adoration. - I suppose you know that I save Kazou's life a while back. Do you wonder why I did that?

- No. - I honestly don't. He must be one of Seulgi's experiments. And for some reason I don't feel anything about this. I don't feel disgusted or scared or freaked out. I just accepted this part of Seulgi. And so it doesn't bother me anymore. Though I think that it never actually bothered me. I was only curious as to why she did what she did. But I guess the answers will come as I get to know Seulgi more. Like she said, I have to look carefully and the knowledge will come up.

- But you are intrigued as to why I save people's life with a price of their most prized possession. I would say, their most loved possession. Actually my first client loved his company more than anything. He's got a second life, but I took his company. It was a family company passed through generations. And he sold it to live longer than he was meant to. In the end he took his own life a few months after receiving it from me. Quite pathetic if you ask me. However I remember feeling disappointment. You see, they all think they'll be happy once they get a second chance. But in fact, after losing what they love most their lives become miserable. And your father is the only one who became happy in the end. However he is also exceptional in the aspect of asking for another person. He had to chose between two people whom he loved. One was dying and the other had to be sold... - Seulgi got lost in thoughts again. Then she suddenly stopped before a playground where three kids were running around like crazy. Their parents chatting on the benches but still keeping the eye on the three. - There were other exceptions before you father, Joohyun. And Kazou was the last one. He was one of my most intriguing clients. After losing the one he loved, he honestly believed he'd get him back. And I must admit, his people did a good job trying to track us down. But the problem was, the person Kazou loved, didn't love him back. It was one-sided. Though that someone was once in love with Kazou, the feelings have passed. And so we decided to end everyone's suffering. We decided that to stop Kazou he had to die. And he did, but not quite.

Seulgi looked at me expectantly. What does she want me to say? And then it all hit me like a speeding train. The person Kazou loved, it was my brother. Sehun died in Kazou's eyes. But Seulgi says 'not quite'. What does she mean?! How can he not be dead?

- I see your mind is a mess right now. - Seulgi's lips tugged upwards a little. - I'll make it easier. Kazou's love became my next client.

- What? - I gasped out. Did Seulgi just say that she gave my brother a second chance?! - Is he... alive?

- What a spicy question. - Seulgi smiled slight again. - I don't know. What do you think? Can a person stay the same after they died? Or will they become someone completely different? Is it right to consider them who they used to be? How much does dying change a person, Joohyun?

I was gaping at Seulgi mentally. In real life I was just staring at her wide eyed. How am I supposed to know, huh?! It's not like I've ever died! Though I did meet three people who came back from the dead: my mom, Kazou and Seulgi. I have no idea who Seulgi used to be so I can't tell if she's changed. Kazou... I'm not sure, but I'd say he changed. Though he remained himself. My mom. I can't tell as well. She surely had her memories, but I don't know if her personality has changed or not. I haven't seen her since the gala. And we all know how that event went down.

- I don't know. - I said not knowing what Seulgi expected from me. But then a thought came to mind. - I guess it depends on the way you die. Does it?

- It actually does. - Seulgi nodded approvingly. - Actually it all depends on how much your brain suffers. If your brain was fractured, then there'll be consequences. But dying also changes you in a way your brain could never. The feeling that comes with denying destiny and overcoming fate is maddening and extremely addictive. It is also overpowering. You have to keep yourself in check to not lose control and go crazy. Though dying once has little effect in comparison to dying twice. The difference is drastic.

- You've died more than once?! - I blurted out with shock written all over my face.

- I guess you can call it dying. In some sense it would be considered that. Don't think that I'm a vampire, they don't exist. At least not in a way you think. I'm mainly human although not quite. But that's a story for another time, Joohyun. There is one question you should ask me though. Think carefully before asking.

My mind felt numb. Completely and utterly numb. What did she mean about vampires existing in a different sense than I think?! And how can she be human when she died more than once?! And why does she say that it's not really dying?! Just who are you, Kang Seulgi?!

- Please let me meet my brother. - I am not sure if this is what Seulgi wanted, but screw it. I want to see my brother. I need to see him. My instincts tell me to inform my parents. But I also know that they've finally gotten a chance to be happy together and I don't want to spoil it. So I just want to reunite with the last family I have let. It wasn't just my father letting me go, it was also me letting go of my life, family and friends. However I don't regret choosing to stay with Seulgi. Life with her is hard, but it's way too interesting and intriguing to pass on.

- Hmm... I guess you can. - Seulgi took her hand out of the pocket and scratched her chin as if a non-existing beard. - Next week we'll meet up with him. I suppose it's time you get some answers. But I have a request. Can you please forget about meeting him and transfer all your excitement to spending the day with me?

Seulgi extended her hand to me and lovely smile glowing on her face. How can I reject such a smile?! It's too cute! Seulgi can be cute! The Kang Seulgi can be cute! I'm pretty sure that my cheeks are red as tomatoes by now. I shyly put my hand in hers and walked down the path further into the park full of trees and morning air. In the day that was awaiting us. Into the time we were destined to spend together. And even though Seulgi defies fate, she can't really run away from it. I'm glad she can't though. Because without it, we would have never met. And my story would have never been born...