Chapter 10 Part II

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 10 Part II

(continue in the evening)

The evening came sooner than expected. Being lost in your thoughts makes the time fly by so fast. I honestly broke my mind thinking of that one question that both Sooyoung and Seulgi told me about. Nothing came up. I had way too many variants and a feeling that none of them was right. But I also thought of the question that Sooyoung hinted me towards. And there I had a better progress. And I came up with a question : "Have you lost your memories?"

I didn't know if my guess was right or wrong. But it's all I could come up with in such a short time. What makes me wonder now is whether Seulgi will answer it or not. And if she will change the ten questions condition she set earlier. I think she won't change it though, she isn't that type of person. I believe her words.

- Joohyun? - I heard a knock on the door. - Can I come in?

I stood up from my bed and walked towards the door. For a moment I hesitated. I wasn't sure if I was ready for a talk yet. But the next moment I gathered my wits and opened the door. There stood Seulgi in plain black sweatpants and a white shirt. She looked as mesmerizing as always. I stepped aside so that Seulgi could come in and then closed the door. In the room that Sooyoung gave me, there was a table with two fluffy chairs, so we sat there.

- How was your day? - I was honestly surprised. Seulgi was fiddling with her fingers. That's weird. Is she nervous? Well, her face isn't nervous for sure. So why does she do that with her hands?

- It was good. I explored the garden. It was very beautiful. Sooyoung found me there and we had a talk. Then I walked around the house and it's very spacious. I think I like this house. It's done with taste.

- I see. - Seulgi nodded. - I promised to give you ten questions tonight. But I thought of an addition. For each of your questions I get one for myself. So you ask me and then I ask you. Do you mind the change?

- No. - this news only made me feel happy inside. Seulgi is finally taking interest in me. I'm glad. - I don't mind at all.

- Good. - Seulgi took a long pause. I think it lasted a minute. She was thinking about something. And I was getting nervous. The suspense was growing on me. - You can start, Joohyun.

- Okay... Who is Sooyoung really? - tonight I shall find out as many things as possible. And the main question is going penultimate.

- Sooyoung... Nice question, Joohyun. I look forward to talking to you more and more. It's very enjoyable. - Seulgi stopped fiddling with her fingers and put both her hands on the chair's armrests. - Sooyoung is many things. She's a professional racecar driver. She's a shareholder in Audi AG. And an owner of one of the most expansive car showcases in Asia. Basically, she's an expert in cars. That's what Sooyoung is.

There was another pause. Seulgi gave me time to let the words sink in. I expected Sooyoung to be a racer due to the skills she showcased today at the chase. I expected that she might have an obsession with Audi brand, turns out she's a shareholder. And she owns car showcases? That's awesome. All these things also explain how she pays for this estate and owns a private jet. However I still can't quite put Seulgi into the picture. I see nothing about her that could explain why these two are friends. A multimillionaire Sooyoung and a weird but kinda average Seulgi. What is it that gets Seulgi to the level of Sooyoung?

- And about who she is... - Seulgi continued her speech. - She is a friend of mine. I think `friends` is the best way to describe our relationship. Sooyoung is two years younger than my current age. She has a sister three years younger than herself. Sooyoung is very passionate. To an extent where once she laughs others will laugh as well, just because her laugh is too contagious. And that works with every emotion she feels. Sooyoung is also a savage. She will throw jokes or humiliate you at any given chance. 

- She seems like a fun person to be around. - I sincerely commented. Sooyoung does seem outgoing and cheery. But she also got that weird something in her. And that something makes Seulgi and Sooyoung similar. 

- She is. - Seulgi nodded her head. - What's your favorite color?

- Purple. - this was an easy question. I honestly didn't expect Seulgi to ask something so simple. - How did you and Sooyoung meet?

- In middle school. She tried to bully me and I kicked her . 

Wow... This was unexpected. Who would've thought that they met through a fight? I believed that people could never become friends if they hated each other to the extent of fighting. Guess I was wrong.

- Joohyun, what do you feel towards me? - another surprise coming my way! Seulgi stiffened and straightened her back. Wow, she really is nervous. What the hell?

- Attraction. - my answer was completely honest. I do not hate Seulgi nor do I love her. I can't say I like her because I don't know many things about her. But I certainly feel attracted to her. Seulgi relaxed and leaned back in her seat. Gosh, was she always this easy? Something must be wrong, she can't be like this, right? Or I completely don't understand this woman...

- Third question? - Seulgi brought me back from my hectic thoughts.

- How old are you? - I asked expecting an immediate answer, but... Seulgi was silent. Completely silent and already drifting off to that complicated brain of hers. Is this such a tough question to answer?

- Currently I am 24. - Seulgi said after what seemed like forever. - Let's leave the topic of my age for another time.

-  Okay... - I didn't know what else to say. And what could I say? She answered my question and I have no idea why she delayed it so much. Seulgi is such a hard mystery to solve! But what surprises me is that if Seulgi is 24 then Sooyoung is 22. How is Sooyoung so successful at such a young age? She's either a heir of some super rich businessman or I don't know how she got what she has.

- I'll skip my question due to answering so vaguely. Please, ask your fourth question.

- Who was chasing after us when we arrived? - I decided to leave the matter of Seulgi's age alone for now.

- People who work for a person that wishes to have what your father received. - this sounded as if Seulgi has rehearsed it. Every word was on point, swiftly said. Well, at least this time Seulgi sounded more like herself.

- Why were they chasing us? - because they want what Seulgi has... But I am sure that if they wanted that, they would simply attack or steal it. In that case they were chasing us for a slightly different reason. And I want to know it.

- It was a warning. A warning meaning that we are going to meet soon. Also to see who was with me. And to know where we were headed. I think they succeeded in two of their goals. I received the warning and they found out who I arrived with. Which makes me feel concerned. It's unpleasant they know of your existence. But they don't know of your importance and that's a good thing.

- Am I in danger? - I asked without thinking much right after Seulgi was done.

- You are always in danger around me. One of the reasons you were given so many chances to leave. And one of the reasons why I can't have friends. It's dangerous. - Seulgi was beyond serious. And she looked incredible with that concentrated face! So alluring and irresistible. I almost missed what she was saying! - My turn. Joohyun, are you afraid of being near me?

Am I? No... Yes. I feel both near Seulgi. She makes me feel safe and she makes me feel scared. Things happening around her are also both fascinating and terrifying. What should I say?

- Yes, I am afraid. But I also feel safe. It's confusing. But if I have to choose, then I want to stay. I am not scared enough to run away. Not yet at least.

Seulgi listened to me very carefully, catching every word and understanding whatever I was feeling in the moment. I felt comforted, I felt as if she was trying to ease my burden, to make me feel less scared. It was very nice of her. But it only worked for a few seconds. But there was that feeling, saying it would be alright, saying I would be safe. I wish I could believe that, but I can't. I am afraid that Seulgi won't be able to protect me. No one is able to protect their loved ones completely.

- Your seventh question, Joohyun? - the feeling I got was interesting. It was either reminding and hurrying.

- When are you gonna die? - this question has startled Seulgi. She locked eyes with me the instant those words left my mouth. I thought of it for a while. Seulgi warned me that she would be gone someday. I want to know how soon.

- It's a matter of events, Joohyun. - Seulgi didn't avert her gaze. She kept piercing my eyes with hers. And I couldn't look away. I was frozen. It felt like a crime to look away from those ocean eyes. - But in the most fortunate case, I would die in a span of three years.

I don't know why, but this made me feel vulnerable. Tears escaped my eyes. I sat there seeming strong with a hard face void of emotion, yet tears still fell. I cried due to what my insides were feeling. And they were torn, they were ripped, they were burned. I felt like a whole world has crumbled yet built itself. I felt nostalgia. I felt fear. I felt pity. I felt remorse. I was in a whirlwind of emotions.

But there was a point of peace, a place without chaos, the place surrounded but not filled with the storm. And that place was Seulgi. Her calm face and understanding eyes. The look that said, `don't worry Joohyun, I have nothing to lose`. Seulgi has accepted her fate so thoroughly. There isn't a fiber of her body that resisted her death sentence..

And that broke me even more. But it also made me feel better. It made me feel calmer. I had no idea how Seulgi knew of her death. And I had no idea why I felt what I felt. But now, the only thing I wanted was... I want to be beside her, I want to live that time with her and... I don't want her to leave. I wish for her to stay. I wish that what she said was false. I wish that there was a way for Seulgi to get saved. Maybe she could be. Maybe she couldn't. I don't know... But I'll stick around till the end.

Why was I feeling so attached? Why did Seulgi have such an effect on me? Why did I feel like I understood her, like I knew her for far longer than I really had? So many question and no one to answer them for me... It's frustrating! So maddening! I want to know why do I feel so attached, so involved! Maybe it was because she was my kidnaper and that affected my mind. Maybe because she was manipulating me. Maybe it was simply because I fell in love like a fool!

Or maybe she was that something I always needed but never wanted. Something that could save me, but also destroy me. She was a person that could understand me. The first person ever to make me feel accepted and not alone. Seulgi has become someone I felt attracted to. And there is a reason why. She was everything I ever needed, but nothing I wanted...

And right now I have time. Right now I have chances. Right now I have questions that I need to ask. Right now I have a person to figure out, someone who would become the greatest adventure of my lifetime. There is no point of thinking of the end when it hasn't come yet. What matters is now and I intend to live it thoroughly. I know what I want now. I know what I need. And nothing is gonna stop me from reaching the peak.

I know that Seulgi might leave. But I don't care. I want to know everything! I want to find out the truth! I want to understand our connection! I want so many things! It's strange that I saw my desires only when I found out they weren't timeless. Seulgi said that everything in the world has a price. I wonder... What is she paying for?