Chapter 27 Part I

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 27 Part I

(continues where left off)

I quickly caught up with Seulgi. She didn’t manage to get away far. Thank God.

I increased my pace and reached out to touch Seulgi’s shoulder.

Just as my hand made contact with Seulgi jacket, she twirled around, grabbing both my hands and slamming my back against the wall. All the breath got knocked out of my lungs. Seulgi held my hands above my head. My eyes made contact with Seulgi’s.

And the feelings they surveyed overwhelmed me.

There was longing, there was need for acceptance. There was hurt. There was hope. But most importantly, there was relief.

I tried to give Seulgi a message through my eyes as well.

I accept you.

And it must have been received.

Because Seulgi sealed our lips in a beautiful kiss.

We’ve been kissing a lot lately, haven’t we?

Anyways.

I relaxed into the kiss and felt Seulgi sigh in content. I guess we both can’t keep our emotions at bay when it comes to each other.

We kissed for what felt like a decade. I was really into it. It was so gentle, so fulfilling. It was warm and it was beautiful. I loved that kiss.

But oh well, humans need to breathe. So we broke apart to catch our breaths.

- You’re so beautiful. – Seulgi whispered while her hand gently touched my cheek.

I couldn’t help but blush. Since when is Seulgi such a heartthrob? I averted my gaze.

- No. Don’t look away. – Seulgi’s hand moved my head back up. – I enjoy looking you in the eyes.

Aww. My heart is about to burst.

- We need to go. Sooyoung’s waiting. – Seulgi said and let go of me.

Then she extended her hand for me to take. So I did. And we left the estate hand in hand. Like a scene out of a movie. Seulgi’s hand was cold against my own. But I was only happy to share my warmth with her. I liked having my hand being held by Seulgi. It felt great.

Sooyoung was waiting by the gates. And of course she was driving an Audi. It was a black A7 this time. The back seat was very comfortable, I’ve got to admit.

The drive was quiet. Sooyoung didn’t say a word. Not even a greeting. Me and Seulgi were too wrapped up in the past half an hour of events. So we also didn’t make a sound. Just sat at the backseat, holding hands. Though I noticed Sooyoung occasionally peaking at us from the rear view mirror.

We arrived at some private takeoff lane. Like a tiny airport. Really tiny.

A private plane was awaiting. We climbed aboard. Seulgi quickly excused herself, saying she’s got work to do. I didn’t protest. Sooyoung went to sleep. Which left me with nothing to do. So I decided to doze off as well.

 

- We’ll be arriving at Vancouver in half an hour. – a voice brought me out of my slumber.

I blinked my eyes open. And saw a steward walking away from Seulgi. She still had her laptop on her lap and she was still furiously typing something on it.

Seulgi looked up, feeling my awakening. First thing she did, was smile at me. I melted right then and there. Hat smile was so genuine. It might’ve been not the widest, but the warmness it emitted was enough to melt the coldest iceberg. Seulgi has adorable smiles. In fact, the most adorable smiles I’ve ever seen.

- How was your sleep? – Seulgi question.

- Quick. – was my answer.

- I hope it was enough for you to restore your strength. We’ve got a difficult day ahead of us.

- Where are we going? – I’m being curious again.

- Handling unfinished business. – Seulgi said. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for an elaboration. – The Blakes and I need to have a serious talk.

- What kind of talk? – I blurted out before I even realized what I was asking.

- Sending a rat and also stealing a client. After what they’ve already done last month. – Seulgi listed. – The Blakes have stepped out of the line. And I’m going to put them in their rightful place.

- Are you going to kill them? – I was afraid of what my reaction would be to the next kill Seulgi had to commit. Would I get scared and disgusted again, or would I not be bothered by it?

- If necessary. – Seulgi nodded curtly. – I’m doubting it’d go that far. But I can’t say for certain.

- I understand.

- Good night, y’all! – Sooyoung popped out of nowhere. I jumped in my seat. – Why so jumpy?

- You scared me. – I confessed.

- Scaredy cat. You’re scared of my friendly intentions, but not scared of the Dark Lord that is Kang Seulgi? Girl, you’re weird. – Sooyoung made a face.

- Sorry. – I mumbled.

- How was your sleep, Soo? – Seulgi asked. She’s so polite.

- Fine. Enough to last a day. – Sooyoung shrugged.

- Good. – Seulgi nodded curtly again. – Any news?

- Nope, coast is clear. – Sooyoung turned serious in an instant.

How do they do that?! Switch demeanors by a snap of their fingers? It’s seriously frustrating me. I can’t change my composure so easily. But I want to be able to do that. Maybe I should ask Seulgi for a tutoring session. I can already see how it’d go.

- The car will be there. Yerim is already on target. – Sooyoung reported.

- Good. – Seulgi nodded to herself. – Tell the pilot to switch our course. We’re going to the big airport.

- You sure, boss? – Sooyoung seemed concerned.

- Yes. – Seulgi stated firmly. – We also need an ambulance.

- Will do. – Sooyoung said and disappeared into the bedroom at the plane’s tail.

- Irene, is the gun I gave you still with you? – Seulgi asked. I looked around.

- It’s in my bag. – I answered.

- Get it in tucked in the back of your jeans again. And keep it as close until we fly away from this place. Understand? – Seulgi instructed.

- Yes. – I said, slightly anxious about having a gun by my side at all times.

- It’s for your own safety. And for protection. If anything, don’t hesitate to use it. Okay? – Seulgi continued to instruct. Now I sensed concern in her voice. She really wants me safe and sound. I’ll take care of myself.

- Yes. I understand. – I said. Determination overtaking my being. I’m not gonna up this time around.

- Good. – Seulgi nodded and went back to her work.

 

We landed softly. The pilot was very gentle. When exiting the plane, I’ve seen Sooyoung give the man some extra cash. I suppose it’s for his perfectly polished flying skills. He really was great, though.

A black SUV was waiting for us. And it wasn’t an Audi! Was the world ending or something? Sooyoung driving a not Audi, had to be the weirdest thing I’ve seen in a while.

- Damn, this car ain’t up for my standards. – I heard Sooyoung mutter from the driver’s seat right before we drove off. Guess she wasn’t driving this SUV by her own free will. Work requires sacrifices, doesn’t it.

We’ve been driving through the city for quite some time. But in the end we finally arrived at a five-storey building. It looked like a normal apartment complex. At least from the outside. When we entered, my opinion didn’t change. It was an apartment complex, with nothing fancy inside. Quite ordinary. Not a place I expected Seulgi to stop at.

But there’s a first time for everything.

Or apartment was on the fifth floor. There were only three apartments on each floor in total. So at least our apartment was spacious. The apartment itself was pretty plain too. Nothing out of the ordinary. Very typical. Me and Seulgi got a room on the right from the door. With a balcony overlooking a small park.

Sooyoung got herself a room to the left with the view of the street we came from.

The third room belonged to Yerim, I supposed. The door was locked and no one got out. There also were no noises heard from the inside. So she might be out wandering somewhere. Her window had to be looking at the square connecting the park and the street. The best view point belonged to her.

Seulgi told me to have a shower and relax for a little while. She and Sooyoung talked about important stuff at the kitchen table.

Strangely enough, I wasn’t bothered with the fact that I was left out of the conversation. I think that sometimes the less you know, the better you sleep at night. This is that situation. The less I know, the better for me. If there’s anything important Seulgi would tell me.

After the very much needed shower, I felt refreshed and ready to take on the world. Seulgi was right, I really needed this relaxation time for myself. While she was still busy with Sooyoung, I decided to roam my new bedroom. I found a few interesting things.

For example, a hidden camera on top of a wardrobe. Another at the corner of the work table. Are these cameras ours or were they someone else’s? This is suspicious. I shall definitely ask Seulgi about these thingies.

My second discovery was a safe hidden behind a nature painting. How cliché. It was opened so I guess there was nothing yet to hide. Would that change once Seulgi completes the job?

Speaking about jobs, what is it that Seulgi does with Taeyeon? Is it partnership? Is it a friendly favor? Or is Seulgi hired by Taeyeon? Or maybe even the other way around. What if Taeyeon is under Seulgi jurisdiction? Then this work is Seulgi taking care of her subordinate. I’m really curious.

I’d have to request a question session with Seulgi once this is over. My ‘questions pit’ got unacceptably deep. But that’s for later. Back to the current subject.

My third finding was a sniper riffle hidden inside the wardrobe. To say that I was intimidated by the metal weapon’s presence would be an understatement. I was still not used to having guns around. And this riffle was massive. I was scared of an inanimate object. Just how much can one person fear guns?!

I’d have to work on this… fear. I can’t have it if I’m to be by Seulgi’s side at all times.

I’m also wondering why is Seulgi letting to come to her missions. Is it because I’m now an important part of her life and she sees no reason to hide what she does? Or is it the fact that I need to see the full picture? What if I run away after seeing everything? Thinking that way, this could very much be a test.

Well, if it is, I’m going to pass it with flashing colors. I’ve never aced tests aside from math in high school. But it is about time that I grow up and start passing the quests life throws at me. I’m an adult for God’s sake!

- Hey, Irene. – Sooyoung knocked, probed the door open slightly and popped her head inside the bedroom. – Seulgi’s asking for you.

- I’m coming. – I said and got off the bed. I was already dressed and ready to move out. Let’s see what Seulgi wants.

- Joohyun. You’re going with Yerim this time. Me and Sooyoung will go together. Watch Yerim’s back and be careful. And, Yerim is in charge of your duo. So listen to what she says. Okay? – Seulgi gave me instructions for the nth time.

- Got it. – I nodded. – Where’s Yerim now?

- She’s ten minutes away from here. – Sooyoung said from behind me.

- Me and Soo are moving out right now. You are waiting for Yerim to come. She has the key so you don’t need to open the door. If anyone knocks, don’t bother checking who it is. Call me right that instant. Understand? – Seulgi took precautions. I guess we’re part of some dangerous game, huh. Damn. I’m nervous.

- Understood. – I assured Seulgi.

- Good. – Seulgi said and slid a phone towards me across the table. – Your phone is long destroyed. This is a gift. Use it wisely. Don’t call for unimportant matters. Only use it for emergencies. It has a single contact, which is me. I suggest you no to call anyone else. Take it.

- Um… Thanks. – I carefully took the phone. It was fairly new. I bet it wasn’t used before. I checked the contact list, indeed only one number entitled as Bear.

Cute.

- Sooyoung, let’s go. – Seulgi stood up.

She stuffed two guns at her chest holster and tucked one pistol at her pants. She then put on a black coat and black aviator sunglasses. Sooyoung had a somewhat similar appearance. Except, she also had a beanie on. And a black leather back hanging off from her shoulder.

The two made their way to the door and left the apartment. I heard the lock clicking behind them. Seulgi must’ve locked the door.

Now then, where are you, Yerim?

I’m so nervous. My palms are sweaty. This is my first real mission. And I’m a willing participant. This is thrilling and terrifying. Oh gosh, I’m such a nervous mess.

I decided to look out of Sooyoung’s window. Her door was left opened, why wouldn’t I stick my curious nose in it? Right, no reason to hold myself back.

I pressed my back against the wall and took a peak outside. I’m acting like some spy from a movie. I mean, if you don’t wanna get seen, you gotta hide. I’m doing the right thing, I suppose. And hope. If anyone were to actually see me do this, I’d be red from embarrassment.

I saw Seulgi and Sooyoung walking up the street and taking the right corner. They weren’t in a rush. Behaving as if it was a simple casual walk. They even pretended to joke around, hitting each other shoulders.

They certainly can act. I have to give them that. Seulgi and Sooyoung are professionals at what they do.

For the next few minutes nothing suspicious happened on the street. And just when I was about to walk away, I saw a black limousine stop before the complex’s entrance.

This is suspicious. Very.

- Please, don’t be after me. – I whispered under my breath.

I saw two men in casual clothes get out and opened the door for some man in fancy brand clothes. I could see from the window that he was as handsome as it gets. Why is crime world filled with so many beautiful people?! Is it because the bad guys are sinners, so they’ve gotta be tempting? Well, this is just unfair in respects of the good guys.

He straightened his clothes, swiped invisible dust off his shoulders and entered the apartment complex. My hand clutched the phone almost crashing it. I might be using it way sooner than I expected.

Then I heard the door’s lock clicking and it creaking open. I instinctively got my gun out and slowly walked towards the hallway. I held my gun pointed in front of me, ready to shoot if needed. Thankfully, I needn’t do that.

- Holy ! – Yeri yelped when her face almost collided with my gun. – Get that thing outta my face!

- Sorry. – I muttered. – There was some well dressed man entering the building a few seconds ago.

- Damn it! – Yerim hissed. – We gotta move out. Grab the sniper riffle and go to my room. Fast!

Yerim rushed towards her door. And I dashed to my own bedroom. I took out the riffle. It was very heavy. I never thought the sniper riffles were this heavy. How do snipers carry these weapons around as if they weigh just a couple grams in those spy movies?

I quickly returned to the hallway and from there ran to Yerim’s room. The door was opened widely. I could see Yeri typing something on the computer.

- I brought the riffle. – I reported.

- Nice. Wait by the balcony. – Yeri dismissed me.

She finished typing and pulled out a flash drive, – We can leave now!

Yeri opened the balcony door. There was a downpipe going up to the rooftop.

- Hope you’ve got a firm grip, girlie. – Yeri said and started climbing up the pipe.

Holy. .

I’m about to climb a downspout with a sniper riffle hanging on my back.

Well… .

Don’t look down. Just, don’t look down, Irene. C’mon, you can do this.

I gritted my teeth together and followed after Yerim. My hands gripping the cold still as tightly as humanly possible. I kept my gaze fixed at Yerim’s feet, being careful not to let her hit my face. I bet she wouldn’t mind doing that. But I wholeheartedly disapprove of such scenario.

We got to the rooftop safely, without accident.

- Move your legs! – Yerim snapped at me as she dashed towards the nearby building.

Why’s she so pissy? Little missy is acting pissy. Hah!

I ran after Yeri. But when I saw Yeri jumping from this roof to another, my breath hitched in my throat.

Ain’t no way am I jumping from building to building like some ninja. Uh uh!

- Move it, idiot! – Yerim brought me out of my stupor.

I glanced behind me and saw the casually dressed men enter the rooftop.

Oh , I’m screwed.

Quickly averting my gaze, I gathered whatever it was I considered my nuts and ran towards the roof’s edge like a crazy chicken. With a high pitched yelp I jumped over the alleyway and landed on top of the other apartment complex. My knee shook from the impact of my landing.

- You scream like a girl. – Yerim snorted beside me. – C’mon, we need to run.

And so we ran towards a door. Then down the staircase. We got out on the second floor. And Yerim kicked open some apartment door. Startled screams followed from the local residents. We quickly rushed through the apartment, got out on a balcony and ran down the emergency staircase. Down in the alley way was parked a black motorcycle.

Finally, we’re saved!

Yeri jumped atop the bike. I quickly got behind her and wrapped my arms around her stomach. She the engine and we drove off, only leaving dust behind.

Damn…

What’s next?