Chapter 15

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 15

(continue from where we left off)

Deafening silence filled the room. I threw a deathly glare towards Kazou. I tried to stay calm and mask my emotions but it was hard, very hard. Past memories were rushing through my head and anger was boiling inside my heart more and more with each passing second. My captor though, was as still as a stone. He did not have any internal battle within him. Only the coldness of a ruthless mafia leader. His calmness made my struggles intensify. I wanted to beat the life out of him so much!

- It's been a long time since our last meeting. - the old man smiled dryly. - Maids! - two women rushed into the kitchen and cleaned the mess I created. Once they were gone Kazou continued. - And under such incredulous circumstances! You, young lady, love to get into trouble just as much as your late brother.

- Don't speak of him. - wow, I sounded quite threatening!

- As you wish. - the old man curtly nodded and turned around to leave. - Follow me.

Since I had no choice I followed him. We didn't walk for long. A few turns later we reached an elevator, got in and went upwards. We arrived at a perfectly white and clean floor. It was so bright and shiny. I've never been in a whiter space than this one. What's this place? It's giving me a bad feeling...

Kazou led me through the creepily clean hallway and there was only one door in the end. He glanced at me and then turned the doorknob. Inside was some kind of super developed research room. One bed for a patient with lots of things attached to it. Then there were stands of monitors, one big medical table, three study tables filled with documents, flasks and other scientific stuff, seven chairs, a huge sliding wardrobe and some sort of a coffin covered with white sheets. No windows were attached and everything was stupidly white. So damn sterile.

- What is this place? - I asked feeling quite creeped out.

- Don't worry. It's not for you. This room was made for me. - Kazou looked around and sighed. - Your brother used to work here.

- Huh? - this took me by surprise. Did he really?

- Of course you don't know, Irene. He signed a non-disclosure contract to keep his mouth shut. Though he failed to do so in the end. - Kazou sat on the bed and motioned for me take a seat as well. I pulled a chair and sat down. - I think it's time you know how and why your brother died.

My breath hitched in my throat. My heartbeat increased immensely. Anxiety and undying curiosity took me over. I was almost too eager to know. I mean, father never told me how Sehun died. I thought it was a hurtful matter and never brought up the question. Now I'm kind of regretting it. I caught myself thinking that I can trust Kazou in this one. He won't lie, I just know it.

- As you know, - Kazou woke me from my thoughts. - Your brother was a doctor. An incredibly smart and skillful doctor. I hired him to help me with my health. Sadly, I was quite a sick person. Different diseases threatened my life to end way too soon. I was only fifty five yet it felt like I was over ninety. Sehun performed miracles on my body prolonging my life and curing a few diseases along the way. But it wasn't enough. I was still dying and Sehun wouldn't be able to stop it, not with medicine.

Wait a second! Kazou was already fifty five when he met Sehun? But now he looks no older than sixty. How is that possible? I only noticed, but... Kazou looks exactly the same as the last time I saw him, which was five years ago. My mind felt like jelly trying hard to still and work properly. I was buffering... Not knowing what to think or what to derive from the newfound information. Sure, I knew that Sehun was Kazou's doctor, but I never knew just how bad everything was.

- That's when we both decided on trying to find an alternate way to heal me. Sehun used his connections in the world of healthcare and got some interesting information from the rumors that circulated in between the people of highest positions. A rumor saying that there was a person able to save you from dying. It was sort of a joking matter, yet Sehun thought there was some truth in it. And so I granted him with whatever resources he needed to figure out if the rumor was indeed real. Guess what, after a year of exhausting consecutive work, Sehun had a result. He finally found a way to contact someone, who would be able to lead us to the mystery person rumored to defy death.

So that's why Sehun was never home for a year. So busy with his work, he had no time for his family or anything in general. Father was getting impatient and angry at Sehun for always being away and having only one excuse - work. Big brother never told us anything about what made his work so time-consuming. We knew literally nothing. One day dad had enough and got into a horrible argument with Sehun. They were yelling at each other for an hour before Sehun grabbed his belongings and stormed out of the house. Father was so mad that he forbade Sehun from coming home, saying that he was no longer wishing to see a son who puts work before family. As for me, that period of my life made me feel empty and left out. I felt heartbroken for days, weeks! Dad was more rude and rougher than normal. Mom was getting headaches and her nerves were always at peak. In the end it all led to mom collapsing from stress and dad finally coming to his senses...

- Me and Sehun made a phone call. And were told a place to go to alone and unarmed. My personal bodyguard of that time threw a scandal at me, trying to persuade me to at least take him. But I couldn't risk it, the chance of my life getting saved overpowered any possible threat. I was already dying, there was nothing to lose. Only something to find. We came to the said address. There was a person waiting for us. A very beautiful woman. Her name was Tiffany Hwang. She asked us questions and we gave her honest answers. After the interrogation she put us in her car and gave us blindfolds. We were brought to some house. It was a simple yet quite impressive house. There Mrs Hwang gave us contracts to read. Those were extremely short, but clearly stated the conditions of future cooperation. I asked for warranty and was told that everything shall be successful. I took her word for it. After that I went through an examination there in that empty, soulless house. Sehun gave all of my medical data to Tiffany. When she got everything needed, she brought us back to the original meeting place. And vanished form our sight. We've never seen or heard from her ever since.

Kazou sighed certainly swayed away by the memories. He stood up and went to one of the study tables. There he took a cup and filled it with water from the sink. I guess it was filtered for Kazou to drink from it. He returned back to his seat, still fazed for some reason. He left me at such a cliff hanger, how could he?! I have enough hangers as it is and he just adds another one! Ugh... I shifted in my chair for a more comfortable position. Tiffany Hwang, that name did sound familiar, but I had no idea where and when I could have heard it.

- You know, Sehun was feeling tricked. Mrs Hwang disappeared on us, but I kept my faith. your brother almost gave up when one day, he received a phone call from an unknown number. He picked up and was told a place to go to at midnight. Throwing aside any planned meetings we went there. And a new face made an appearance. A woman, with the most empty expression I've ver seen. She was dressed informally in jeans and a sweater. Her pitch black hair and piercing icy blue eyes added to the intimidating image. I swear, it was the first time I saw your brother drool and looks disoriented. - Kazou laughed a little. Now I'm getting a feeling that Kazou might not have been the one to kill my brother. He seems to have cared about him a lot. Like a father...

- You didn't kill Sehun, did you? - I interrupted. I felt like I had to say it.

- That's right. It wasn't me. It was that woman. The one and only named Kang Seulgi. - Kazou looked at me with a rather expectant face. 

Me? Oh, my world has just came to a stop. I didn't breath, my mind froze, my eyes emptied and my heart dropped to the pits of my stomach. Kang Seulgi killed Sehun. The Kang Seulgi killed him. The person I fell for is my brother's murderer. I fell for the person I swore to resent for the rest of my days. Though I thought it was Kazou, now it didn't matter. How could she do this to me? I bet she knew who I was when she... Why did she keep it? Why?! And why did she 'chose' me when she was the person who killed my brother?! Why'd it had to be her?! And why does it have to be me she falls for?!