Chapter 7

Everything I needed, yet nothing I wanted

Chapter 7

(continue right after the gunshot) 

My head swept around, eyes searching for Seulgi and my heart racing like crazy. My eyes locked on the blood coming out of Seulgi's body. Even though she was wearing black, I knew it was blood wetting her shirt. She got shot... Oh my God, she got shot! My first instinct was to run up to her but strong arms have kept me in place. I tried to break free, but it was meaningless. The chaos has already broken out, people were running and screaming. First tears were making their way to my eyes. I was scared. My father who was capable of murder... The person I started feeling comfortable and safe with got shot... I felt so helpless and miserable...

Then I heard one more shot... I shut my eyes.

Then another... I heard the breaking of glass.

And another. And more... And more... And a final one...

I felt energy living my body, my legs felt like jelly. My mind was blurry and I couldn't open my eyes. Arms around me loosened their hold. I tried to open my eyes. I saw nothing but a blurry image. And then darkness consumed me.

My eyes slowly opened. It was dark. The room was dark. I sat up on the bed. It felt familiar. While my eyes were adjusting to the darkness the memories of the gala have flooded my mind. How I met Wendy, how we chatted, how I hugged my mom, how dad behaved like... How there was a shot. Seulgi... It was Seulgi who got shot. Remembering that I quickly stood up and immediately felt dizzy. Shouldn't have hurried. But gathering my wits I walked towards the door that I have seen before. Where am I? This place looks familiar...

I opened the door and stepped out. Blinking rapidly due to bright lights, I managed to recognize the place. I was home. At Seulgi's house. Why am I here? Who brought me here? Is Seulgi alive?! I need to see her. 

So I went to her room and knocked on the door. No one responded, I wanted to walk in, but it was closed. I knocked a couple times more, but with no progress. So I decided to go downstairs.

There was no one. It felt like the house was empty except for me. But why then were the lights ? I was about to go back upstairs when my stomach growled. I guess I'm hungry.

After filling my belly with some omelet and black tea, I felt slightly better. My mood got happier and everything felt nicer. I smiled to myself enjoying the moment of peace. Then I carried my plate to the sink and washed it. Just as I turned around, my heart almost jumped out of my chest.

There, leaning on the arc frame, was Seulgi. Alive and well. Not even a scratch on her mysterious face. Eyes just as cold and wondering. Expression as void and calm. Nothing's changed. She was staring at me. Observing. What does she find so interesting about me? And why is her gaze so captivating?

My reaction wasn't what I'd expected. I thought I would cry or run to her and ask how she is, how she survived, does anything hurt. But I just stood frozen in place under her intense gaze. I felt so calm. How does she do that? How does she manage to calm me down by simply being calm herself? My list of questions seems to grow everyday...

- How are you feeling? - Seulgi broke the silence first. I was brought out of my thoughts.

- I... I'm fine... Good. I'm feeling good. - my speech was an absolute nightmare. Why couldn't I talk normally? Why'd I sound like a complete idiot?

- You're feeling good. - Seulgi repeated as if she were a doctor writing down her patient's condition. - I'm glad. He held you very tightly. I thought he'd leave bruises. Anyways, we're leaving tomorrow morning. Due to last night's events we couldn't leave today.

There was a pause. A waiting pause. What was it for? Was it for me? Or was it for her? Seulgi only stared expectantly at me. I felt slightly self-conscious. There were things I wanted to ask her. But it seems like cat got my tongue. After a few minutes of utter silence Seulgi spoke again.

- Do you have questions, Joohyun? - I couldn't understand what she wanted me to say. Did she want a 'yes' or a 'no'? Her facial expression gave away nothing. Nor did her body language. But I felt like she asked it more because of me rather than her. Does that mean she cares? Or is she simply being polite? No, polite isn't the right word. Is it tolerant? I think it suits better in this case.

- Yes, I do. - there was no point in lying. And since Seulgi despises liars, I better avoid doing that. 

- You can ask me. But only three questions are allowed. Choose wisely, Joohyun.

Three questions? Why three? Nevermind... but which ones shall I choose? Clearly after tonight any questions about the gala are gonna be left behind. What matters to me the most? I need to think...

Is my father dead? Do I really want an answer for that? 

How did Seulgi survive? I'm afraid she won't answer this one. But I can give it a try.

How is Wendy? Does that really matter now? I'm leaving all of my past behind. Does knowing her condition matter to me enough? I can't decide...

Is my mother alright? Same situation as with Wendy. 

Who died? This is a good question. It gathers all the previous ones. But it doesn't answer whether they are alright, it only says if they are dead or not. Still better than nothing.

- Who died? - the first question left my mouth. Seulgi thought for a moment before replying.

- Those who tried to kill me. - what a snake! She didn't specify! I just wasted my question on nothing! How dare she?! My fuming didn't seem to affect her though.

- Who tried to kill you? And please specify. - I blurted out without thinking much. This outburst surprised me. But the 'iceberg' in front of me stayed emotionless.

- Your father's men. - relief filled my body. Wait what?! I still care for that bastard?! No, no, no. No, I don't. It's just that I was worried about my mom and Wendy. I really hope mother doesn't have anything to do with my selling. - Though it was your father who wanted me dead. But he ran away. Last question, Joohyun.

- How have you survived the gunshot? - the last question seemed like the only thing that really mattered. I want to know the truth. 

- Finally, a good question. - the words are supposed to sound cheerful, but said by Seulgi, there is nothing more than monotone coldness. - But still not the right one... The bullet didn't hit any vital spots. The shot wasn't fatal.

- But! But you were bleeding! Enough to be seen on black clothes! You were shot in the stomach! How could you even stand?! I'm not even talking about killing everyone afterwards! How?! - I'm getting braver day by day. 

- You don't have to know yet. Go to sleep, Joohyun. We have a tiring day tomorrow. - Seulgi turned around and was about to leave.

- Wait. - I called out spontaneously. Why did I do that? - Thank you... And sorry for yesterday.

Seulgi looked at me with interest. She looks so attractive whenever she's into something. Then she nodded and walked off. Gosh, this was embarrassing. Why did I say that? Because I'm grateful? Or is there another reason? I don't know. This is so frustrating! My life is becoming more and more of a puzzle every single day! I have so many questions yet I can't ask them! But when I get a chance, I ask something entirely different from what I planned! This is extremely frustrating! 

Not knowing anything about the game you got yourself into... That might me a good thing as well as a bad one. Not knowing anything might be a blessing, yet it might be a curse. Which one is it for me? Is my unknowing a good thing or a bad thing? It has to be something, right?...