Beating Hearts

Beyond your eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days went by, Jessica had been a little anxious about the kiss but didn’t show anything. Instead, she had been doing her roll perfectly by ignoring the matter in front of the girl, who by now, was acting a little shy from time to time when she was in front of her. It wasn’t easy but she knew that she had to do it because she wasn’t ready for a straight up confession. That’s why she was glad that the exams were taking almost all of their time, as for they almost never left the library for their own good. Also, they had been really busy choosing what college and career they wanted to pursue, so it was one more thing that ease Jessica’s worries.

They were now at the basketball court, sitting near the bleachers while eating their lunch before the complaints started. Sunny and Yoona had opted for taking each of the Empousa’s sides just to prevent the love-struck girls from turning their lunch into a battle field once again. Next to Sunny was Tae, and Fanny was beside yoona. Thanks to Tae’s murdering glares at Baek, he decided to sit between Fany and Yuri, so the poor Taecyeon had to sit right next to the grumpy midget.

“God, these freaking tests are going to be the death of me.” Taec yelled at the top of his lungs while raising both of his hands to the air. "Well, I have to study hard if I want to become a pediatrician."

“Ugh, and it’s barely starting. Have any careers in mind?” Yuri asked with a tint of irritation thanks to her sleepless nights, as it was April now, they only had two months left before all this madness ended.

“I want to pursue music like Sunny, so I’ll be applying to Seoul Artspool Conservatory and Seoul National University.” Taeyeon said calmly before taking a bite of her sandwich. Everyone was surprised but they knew better that she had a beautiful voice, so they all smiled in satisfaction for her choice.

“I want to study music as well! I had been thinking about it and the thing I enjoy the most is singing. I don’t know where I’ll apply yet but I’ll give my best wherever I choose.”

“Both of you have awesome voices, like I could hear you sing all day and I’ll never get tired of it.” Sunny said with such tender eyes. “In the future, I’ll be showing off to everyone that I was friends with you two.” She laughed when Tae threw her a napkin for being a clown. 

“I think the three of you will be on top of the world. You might even write some of the hits in the future. Imagine Baek and Tae singing your songs and turning them into one of the best in Korea Sunny.” Yoona was now staring off dreamily with a drumstick in her hand, which made her look quite funny if you may ask. Yuri pushed her lightly and she woke up from her thoughts. “By the way, I want to study Culinary Arts.” Yuri looked at her with round eyes. “I just love food that much and I want to create tasty dishes that people enjoy. I’ll be the best one out there, believe me.” She smiled proudly and everyone began to congratulate her.

Yuri seemed a little bit nervous, clearing a couple of times to give herself a little push. “I-I want to study Kinesiology, my goal is to become a fitness trainer and then open my own gym.” She said looking down at the polished floor. No one was uttering a word and that was actually eating her alive.

“You’ll be one of the best fitness trainers out there.” It was Fanny’s husky voice. Yuri couldn’t help but to raise her head and stare at the beautiful eye smile in front of her. “I’ll be a regular customer at your gym, so I look forward to it!” Yuri swallowed a lump in before approaching the girl to engulf her in a tight hug. Everyone was staring at the scene, Jessica smiled a little before focusing back on her grapes.

“Thank you Fany.” She kissed her forehead with so much love that Fany blushed without knowing, though it didn’t go unnoticed by everyone as she was furiously red.

“Oooh, Hwang’s blushing!” Taec began to make fun of the girl.

Tiffany moved away from Yuri and grabbed her cellphone to check herself on the front camera. She gasped when she saw her face, even her ears were as red as her strawberry juice. She put down her phone and her eyes met Jessica’s, the girl was munching on a grape while staring back at her. “You’re opening your heart for our Yuri.” Baek said and Jessica broke their eye contact by moving her eyes towards him. They both shared a look before the boy looked back at the frozen girl. “One can fall without knowing.” He whispered.

Tiffany saw the way Jessica’s mask fell a little and noticed a little sadness in her expression, feeling pain in her chest. “I can’t fall for her.” Those words left her lips with so much determination, making everyone turn to her. Yuri wasn’t affected by it, in fact, she was waiting for it. “She knows it.” She simply said, her eyes focusing on the blonde’s face but she wasn’t looking back, she just kept on playing with an apple.

“I know.” Yuri answered loudly. They were expecting a heartbreaking sight but she was smiling. “There’s someone better for you.” She ruffled Fany’s hair with her hand while the others quietly watched. “So, tell us. What do you want to study?”

Tiffany looked back at Yuri and bit her lip a little while she fixed her hair. “I want to be a doctor. I want to help and save people.” She stared once again at Jessica. Just like you.

“And you, Sica? What do you plan on doing?” Tae asked with a cold voice and a little bit of uneasiness.

Jessica looked up and remained in silence for a couple of minutes. “I don’t know. I can’t go to college, it’s too dangerous.” Everyone saw the painful look in her eyes. “Though, if things were different and I had the chance, I would choose either being a medical doctor or a craft and fine artist. I think I would like to focus on fashion illustration.” She saw the bewilderment in their eyes.

“Oh, I thought you would say a police or something like that because of your sense of justice.” Sunny was still processing the girl’s words.

“Yeah, I mean, I was expecting the doctor one but the fashion illustrator fits you well. I love how you dress, so I think that’s a perfect option for you.” Baek was flashing her an eye smile and Jessica didn’t doubt in returning it. All of their hearts skipped a beat; Jessica’s eye smile was a sight. She was showing her perfect set of white teeth and her eyes as two beautiful crescents. Even Baek was surprised and blushed.

“Thank you Baek.” She said softly.

“So, what will you do if you aren’t attending college? Are you planning on satying here for a while?” Yoona asked and that was the question that Jessica wished no one could ask.

Tae, Sunny and Fany were looking at her expectantly but she couldn’t open . Thank the Gods that the bell rang. Everyone started gathering their things to head back to the classroom and the answer remained in the air. 

Today was also just another day that they’ll spend in the library having a group study session after school. Jessica was the only one that often missed them because she would disappear all of a sudden. When they asked her about it, she told them that she was busy helping Seohyun with some personal things. Taec was the only that knew what she was doing, he often helped her after their sessions ended. But today Jessica was there, she was helping them with some of the subjects and in the middle of it will often shut down. It was weird to see her shutting down many times in those 4 hours but Baek said that it was normal because of the changing seasons. Perhaps the sun and the heat were really taking their toll on her.

It was already 8 pm when they decided to call it a day, Jessica had left 15 minutes before to see Seo at the infirmary. She needed some blood and after taking it she decided to leave as her friend still had some work to finish before heading back.

She was walking down that lonely hall that led to the entrance, when a voice called her from behind. “Jessica, wait!”

She turned around and saw Tae running towards her with her pair of short legs. When she finally got there, she threw herself onto her arms. Jessica was worried, she thought that something bad had happened to her, and so she embraced her carefully.

“Are you okay Tae?” She asked fast.

Tae was trying to catch her breath for a while, so Jessica’s question stayed unanswered. It was when the midget felt that she could talk that she detached from Jessica’s side.

“I’m glad you didn’t leave.” Tae was smiling at her while her hands were holding Jessica by her sleeves.

“Yeah, I was actually on my way out. But, are you okay?” Jessica had an anxious look in her eyes, trying to inspect every inch of Taeyeon’s body just to see that she wasn’t hurt anywhere.

Tae noticed it and lifted her hand to caress the girl’s cheek, making her close her eyes at the touch. “I’m okay, I just wanted to see you.” She said in an almost audible voice while staring at Jessica’s perfect features. “I need to tell you something.” That sentence made Jessica shiver a little, secretly wishing that it wasn’t what she was fearing but she only nodded in response. “Jessica, I’m in love with you.” Tae’s sincere eyes were staring deeply at Jessica’s unwavering ones. “I’ve loved you for a long time now. I don’t know if you feel the same or not but I-” A sob escaped her lips, tears falling down slowly from her eyes. “I just wanted to tell you this. You saved my life in so many ways that you can’t imagine, you change me and you made my life better. I just want you to know that my heart is beating because of you, because of the l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter