Sooyeon

Beyond your eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Monday came, two girls were death nervous as for they didn’t know how to approach Jessica to give back her clothes. The rest of the weekend they couldn’t help but think and dream about her; so the mere thought of talking to her was nerve wrecking for both of them.

They decided to wait until school ended to approach her and thank her for saving them once again. Meanwhile, all they could do was stare secretly, though Sunny saw all of that; she saw the way Fany looked at her dreamily while sighing from time to time. And as for Taeyeon, she would steal glances with a pair of soft eyes and even realized the way Tae would bite her lip with nervousness. Sunny knew well what that meant, she also knew that falling in love with Jessica was a huge mistake that was bound to hurt them but

still she couldn’t do anything for as the heart chooses who it loves.

The classes ended and everybody began to leave, only Jessica and the trio remained. The three friends were acting as if they were still getting ready to leave but suddenly panicked when Jessica stood up.

“J-jessica, w-wait a minute please!” Tiffany said while hitting herself mentally because of the stuttering. She took the bag that she had been keeping carefully and approached the girl who was watching her with that emotionless face, her frame standing near the door. “This is the hoodie that you lent me the other night.” Her arms were shaking when she handed over the bag to her, the latter stood there for a couple of seconds before reaching out for it. “Thank you so much for helping us, we would’ve been lost without you. You literally saved our lives and I’ll be grateful all my remaining life for that.” Tiffany looked deeply into her eyes and felt as if she was held captive by those dark orbs. She suddenly woke up from her trance when Taeyeon approached as well, making Jessica stare right at her.

“I also want to thank you for helping us, for hearing us and do what you did. We only give you trouble but you still came to our rescue. I also owe you my life and I will be eternally grateful for everything you've done.” She said as she gave Jessica her white shirt neatly folded.

“They are both right Jessica, you saved us and we owe you our life. Thank you for everything, there are not enough words to tell you how much I appreciate what you did.” Sunny then pulled her two friends slowly. “The only thing we can do to help you is to not get in your way again as you told us last time, so we promise you not to give you any more troubles.” The three of them picked up their bags and were about to leave when a voice made them stop.

“…you need to let them in…you know, start living.”

“Do you want to know about me?” Spoke Jessica making the three of them look at her. “Do you want to know what I was and what I am now?” She walked and stood in front of them. “You saved me even though I did everything for you not to, I think I owe you that much.” She was staring at Sunny earning a nod from the three of them who were too astonished to even talk. She then walked past them. “Follow me then.” The three girls were trailing behind the beautiful Empousa, leading them to the old science lab and opening the door for them. “Come in.” She said and in cue the three walked inside, inspecting the dusty room, but their view changed as they heard some noises and noticed Jessica arranging three chairs. “Sit down.” No words were exchanged as they sat down and watched Jessica getting a chair for her as well.

Jessica sat down and stared at the girls in front of her looking at her carefully, but not afraid. She sighed before moving her eyes to the floor, she was remembering things that she wanted to forget. “Well, you know that I’m an Empousa. I told you that I was different and I didn’t lie. As I said, to create us the Goddess Hecate combined together dark magic, animals, bronze and a ghost. For that reason, the Empousas didn’t have any memories, they only knew what they had to do, but barely any feelings were inside them. They were ghosts, so when Hecate chose them, no memories stayed with them. But I have them, from when I was human…” Their eyes got round in surprise with a few gasps, yet Jessica remained unfazed. “Hecate let me keep some of my memories with me, so that’s why.” Jessica looked outside the window. “My name was Sooyeon, I was born in Baekje one of the three kingdoms in Korea. Back in that time, North Korea didn't exist although I don’t remember the year,  I only know that we were at war with China back then.

I had one sister, a mother and a father. My father had some trading business and my mom was always taking care of my sister as she was really sick, but no matter how much remedies they gave her she only got worse. I remember that she got sick while growing up because she wasn’t born like that.” Jessica furrowed her eyebrows as if she was in pain. “My father had to pay the remedies by trading, working twice as hard we barely saw him. My poor mother would watch over my sister day and night, saying that if we prayed to the deities with love they would cure her, but it wasn’t enough…love wasn’t enough and she died. I loved my sister so much, she was the one who lightened up every situation. Every time I reminisce, I can feel the same pain over and over again, as if I was reviving that moment in a repeating pattern…” Taeyeon was looking at Jessica and she wanted to hug her with all her might because Jessica looked like a l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter