CHAPTER 45: Who Am I?

Reset: What Kind of Lover?


 

Medication has continued even after arriving to Korea. Preparing for their world tour, the boys kept practicing to perfection.

 

Tired getting everything done, all were lying on the floor panting.  “I’m so tired.” Murmured the members. They all felt the same but they had to practice more. Seungcheol might have want to call it a day but there are lots to do.

 

“We can do this!” hyped Seungcheol with his panting and poor lungs. “One more time! We will not go home until everything is done well.” clapped his hands to call his babies nearly napping on the walls.

 

“Hyung. Can we have 10 more minutes of rest? Besides, look at you. You look more exhausted that we are.” Asked DK lying flat on the floor.

 

Seungcheol sighed as he looked to the other members who were expectant of his decision. “Alright. But we need to finish this sharp, alright? We cannot slack out. There a lot of people who are expecting a lot from us.”

 

“Got it!” shouted the other hyper members.

 

“30 minute break!” The leader announced.

 

“Thank you, hyung~” answered the rest even Joshua and Jeonghan said it lazily.

 

Jeonghan crawled to rest on Joshua, who has now, bulky arms. “This seems nice.” Touching and fixing Joshua’s muscles as if it was a pillow before he laid his head on it comfortably.

 

“Ya. Am I a pillow?”

 

“You just made yourself one.” And after he closed his eyes, Joshua could literally say he had fallen asleep due to his soft breathes escaping from his slightly open mouth.

 

Actually, Joshua fell asleep as well because Jeonghan’s soft breathes was inviting him to sleep.

 

30 minutes have passed, the boys discovered that their 95 line had fallen fast asleep. It seemed deep based on their soft snores.

 

“Our oldies had fallen asleep.” Hoshi shook his head not knowing how to feel.

 

“They’re cute.” Said Seungkwan beside their performance leader.

 

“Should we continue?” asked Mingyu who was dying of enviness seeing his hyungs comfortably sleeping.

 

“We should call them up.” Said Wonwoo.

 

Minute passed and no one moved. “Who’s going to wake them?” asked Dino.

 

The boys contemplated. Minghao pouted with this realization. “They act like they’re kid most of the time. I didn’t know waking them up is such a hard task to do.”

 

“I agree.” Said Vernon out of nowhere.

 

“I mean, we could have woke them up fast right? But why do they still look powerful? I’m scared.” Dragging the air with his teeth tight.

 

“Now that you say that. I think our respect for them is still there.” Jihoon joked.

 

“Ya. What if they can hear you?” Jun whispered.

 

“They’re beasts sometimes.” Murmured DK.

 

“No. Most of the time.” Added the poor Dino, who’s experienced most of the hell with his three oldest. Everyone agreed.

 

“Then, we should wake them up altogether.” Mingyu recommended.

 

“Hana, deul, Seth” the boys whispered with synchronicity.

 

“Hyungdeul!” everyone called immediately. The two jolted in surprise but Jeonghan? Nah, he’s still perfectly sound asleep.

 

“What’s with the call?” asked the frowning Seungcheol.

 

Here comes the beast. They were frightened.

 

“Sorry hyung. You fell asleep.” Defended Hoshi as he positioned himself at the back of Wonwoo for defense.

 

“One is enough.” Grunted Seungcheol.

 

“Uh- Joshua hyung and Jeonghan hyung had fallen asleep too.” Added Jun with a smile. He’s afraid but he’s okay to deal with the punishment or whatsoever later.

 

“Then, you should tap us. Not shout at us!”

 

“Sorry.” Everyone bowed.

 

“Jeonghan isn’t waking up.” Joshua was still tapping the sleeping beauty but no reaction was done.

 

“Then put him on a comfortable spot. We will do one last run and we’re good. I think, I cannot do it anymore today.” Admitted Seungcheol.

 

DK went to fix their towels on the side while Mingyu carried their sleeping angel to the corner. Jihoon made sure Jeonghan had blanket on because he surely knows Jeonghan couldn’t keep with cold temperature.

.

.

.

“Hello, Eric. This isn’t going as smoothly as we perceived. Jeonghan’s organs are failing. We need to proceed to the transplant.” Stated Troy who was pretty nervous looking at the findings of Jeonghan’s general examination at his board in his apartment. “Nothing is getting better.”

 

“I see. Then, your decision is mine. Have you found what’s causing the trigger?” asked Eric.

 

“Not too close. I saw his journal. He also admitted me some things he’s guilty about like the drive of having… you know. But he is too conservative. I can’t force it to him.” feeling troubled. “I guess I should figure out around the muscles and nerves around it.”


“That’s too many to start with.”

 

“One more thing, Eric, I think he’s confusing his love from one to another. Poor them.”

 

“I think the boys can handle that. Let’s focus on finding out the cause real quick.”
 

“Got it. There is something around his ears, shoulders and chest. I also found rashes on his fingertips. Is it usual?”

 

“Finger tips?” recalling that he didn’t focus on that part because the rash normally comes in large amount on his chest. “I didn’t notice that before.”

 

“Apparently, it starts from the fingertips. I know this is kind of hard to see, but all this time, his fingertips are the ones to start spots. I followed the trail and it leads to his heart.”

 

“How about Ye Jun?”

 

“He also has this. It already formed like a mark already. It’s like his blood has gone dry after pricking them. However, the trail leads to his brain, unfortunately.”

 

“I see. How can I miss it?” said Eric.

 

“Well, it appeared to be a blush at first. You can only notice them after the trail of red spots were already established on the other parts of his body.”

 

“I have to be there.”

 

“Can you? We don’t have time. Ye Jun is…” passing a very bad news. “He is failing. I haven’t told Jeonghan yet.”

 

“I will go there whether or not I lose my license.” stated Eric eagerly.

 

“I am with you.” stated Troy.

.

.

.

One moment, Troy received an emergency regarding Ye Jun. Also a call from Seventeen that Jeonghan was deep asleep once again.

 

First, they needed to maintain Ye Jun first. He tried the therapy on him. It only had a slightest effect but he didn’t know how long the medicine would last. He is in critical condition now.

 

“He’s failing.” casually stated by the old doctors who operated him in hopes to figure out something in an experiment treatment.

 

“You did this to him.” scolded Troy.

 

“There is nothing we can do.” defended the other.

 

“Quit your job, then! You are not a real doctor! What you did to him was cruel. I swear if something happens to him and Jeonghan, I will make your lives miserable.” Troy threatened.

 

“You bastard!” grunted the older.

.

.

.

Joshua met with Troy to report what the two doctors did to Ye Jun while Eric wasn’t watching. Poor Ye Jun, he was experimented with too many procedures that resulted to some organ failures.

 

In the room, Joshua met Atty. Bradley. He was hired by the research department specifically focusing on Jacob-Wilhelm Syndrome in UK to investigate about the said anomaly regarding the claim of Eric against the two doctors assigned with Ye Jun and also on both Eric and Troy’s private research.

 

Joshua brought some nurse and managers to testify of the two doctor’s behavior. “Thank you for good work, Joshua.” giving a handshake to both Atty. Bradley and Dr. Troy.

 

“That’s nothing. How’s Ye Jun by the way?”

 

Troy sighed heavily and said “He might not last long, Joshua.”

 

It pierced Joshua’s heart so bad. “Is there anything we can do now?”

 

“I am doing the best I could. Jeonghan on the other side, sadly to say, would be most beneficial on Ye Jun’s generous donation. He’s already wrote his will when he woke up briefly after the operation said Eric. So no need to fight for the organs. Other organs that cannot be used would be donated to whom needed it but Jeonghan is the priority.”

 

“How about Jeonghan?”

 

“We need to take actions as soon as possible. The earlier the better.”

 

“So… you are saying that if Ye Jun d-dies, Jeonghan would-“ Joshua couldn’t continue his words. He was broken too many times today.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Joshua went to Ye Jun and held his hand. “You keep fighting alright. We got you. I’ll treat you once you wake up, so call me. I know you can hear me.” Joshua squeezed Ye Jun’s hand as a sign that he could get his answer by squeezing his hand too. Thank goodness, Ye Jun replied back.

 

“That’s our hyung!”

.

.

.

While sleeping, day after another day, Troy had already reached for Jeonghan’s parents regarding his current condition. They felt worried and at the same time scared not just for the life of their son but also with Ye Jun who has been with him all along since childhood.

 

 “How long would he sleep?” asked Dino so bored, missing the bully of his life. For now, he was making sandwiches for everybody, hoping Jeonghan would wake up and taste his creations.  Dino served his masterpieces to his hyungs during their day off. His hyungs in Dorm 2 were all surprised on how plenty the sandwiches were.

 

“Good job, Dino… but why so many? Better yet share half to the other dorm. We cannot finish this. What’s up?” stated Seungkwan looking at the bored boy.

 

“Nothing. It just got into mind.”

 

Meanwhile, Hoshi rushed and eat. “Woah! Woah!” filling his mouth full. “These are good! You made a pretty wide variety! Thank you for making them. I’m starving.”

 

“Enjoy, hyung. You can slow down. There’s plenty.” answered Dino as he wrapped the other batch to be sent downstairs because Seungkwan was right. They cannot finish it all.

 

One by one, the members gather and eat. Praises were bestowed on Dino but none of them fired up his mood.

 

“Hey, don’t worry, Jeonghan hyung can taste these later.” Jun assured knowing how Dino might have been feeling. Of course they were all worried as well.

 

“You are pretty sad, uri maknae.” worried The 8.

 

They didn’t know that even though Dino might appear jolly at times, he had the very right to be worried this time. Hearing Seungcheol, Joshua and Jihoon’s conversation accidentally the last time right after Jeonghan came back home. He was aware that Jeonghan was very sick.

 

Passing by Jeonghan’s room towards the door to deliver his sandwiches, Dino heard a sound coming from his hyung’s door. He became alert. Once Jeonghan opened the door, Dino’s energy got back. “O hyung!” his smile was even beaming.

 

“Good morning!” smiled Jeonghan. “Are those food?”

 

“You have yours. Look for the covered one. I made those special.” giggled Dino. “Will have to deli-“ he wasn’t done talking when people from Dorm 1 came after receiving a message regarding the delicious sandwiches made by Dino.

 

“We are called to eat!” shouted weirdly by the hungry boys. Immediately, Dino gave theirs while he asked Jeonghan to sit comfortably while waiting for his set of meal. Their cute maknae rushed to the kitchen and prepared Jeonghan’s food delicately. And voila! Serving a nicely garnished plate with set of different sandwiches including a pancake sandwich which has full of strawberries and cream just for Jeonghan. Last touch would be a hot brewed coffee.

 

“Thank you. They’re pretty! My boy is growing up so fast.”

 

“Enjoy!”

 

“He’s been lonely without your tease, hyung.” Revealed others.

 

Jeonghan giggled. “I’ll eat well!”

While eating, Jeonghan called Dino and whispered “This is for you.” as he planted a sweet kiss on Dino’s nose. “Thank you, they taste delicious!”

 

Dino blushed but he didn’t utter any disagreement upon Jeonghan’s action. The boys were fazed and said “He really missed your teasing, hyung.”

 

“Oh! Hoshi, I like your new pajama!” Jeonghan immediately praised Hoshi’s tiger print pair of pajamas up to his toes with a literal tiger plush on his slippers. Hoshi sure did like it. His smile was beaming.

 

“Thank you, hyung.” cuddling Jeonghan while the older pinched his irresistible fluffy cheeks.

 

Looked like they’re back to normal. All the members were there at Dorm 2, chatting while eating well. Jihoon, specifically enjoyed the chicken sandwich version of Dino and kept requesting for it. Although some times, Jeonghan might be causing a bit of trouble and panic inside their home, especially when he forgets. Like what was currently happening in their dorm. “Stay away!” Jeonghan shouted nervously from the bathroom. In addition to the sound of breaking glass.

 

The clamour had brought everybody in panic especially Vernon who was fixing his earphones and Dino who just woke up.

 

“What was that?”

Vernon was the first one to run because he had one reason in mind. The mirror. He thought that Jeonghan might have had a confrontation over himself in the mirror. It was really frightening to witness even for him who’s probably seeing it for the second time.

 

“Hyung!” Vernon ran as quick as he could witnessing Jeonghan curved at one side together with the shattered pieces of mirror. It was terrible. Jeonghan was bleeding. “You alright?” As he carefully went by his poor hyung.

 

People gathered and murmured. “What happened?”

 

“Is he hurt?” asked Seungkwan worriedly.

 

“He cut himself.” Vernon reported.

 

“On it!” shouted Jun and Dino getting the first aid kit and pale of water.

 

Seeing how frightened Jeonghan was for no reason that they know, except for Vernon, Seungkwan and the others were worried.

 

“It’s all gonna be fine, hyung.” Said The 8 gently.

 

On the other hand, Vernon made sure he would not touch Jeonghan without him feeling comfortable first. He was careful not to startle the man curved at the corner. “Hyung…” called Vernon gently. As soon as Jeonghan knew that someone was with him, he jumped to embrace the boy without hesitation. He didn’t even flinch with the pain his wounds were causing him.

 

“Let the man out! He’s scaring me. He follows me everywhere!” He said with voice cracking and shaking. He was hell of a scared. The others became more confused. Nevertheless, they alert themselves in case there’s some stranger/ stalker inside their dorm.

 

“Do you know him?” asked Minghao nervously while becoming cautious to the surroundings.

 

On the contrary, while everyone was in panic, Vernon was unexpectedly calm. He talked Jeonghan out of the bathroom first before they could discuss the matter. Also to tend to Jeonghan’s wounds before it gets worse.

 

Jeonghan was still shaking. Minghao was very careful tending his wounds as he observed the frightened angel.

 

Meanwhile, Dino made a hot beverage for him to calm.

 

“Hyung. What happened? Look at you, you are hurt.” as Soon Young helped wipe Jeonghan’s face. Jun covered him with a blanket.

 

“Jeonghan hyung?” called Dino.

 

Meanwhile, the older guessed the position of the voice. He’s gone blind again as he squinted his eyes to hope for some clarity in his vision somehow.

 

“Is there a stranger inside the house? Have you seen him?” asked Minghao carefully.

 

Jeonghan nodded. Members were extremely alerted.

 

“How did he come in?” investigated Jun and Seungkwan. In fact, Seungkwan was ready to call the police but Vernon halted his actions.

 

“He’s right there. He was looking at me through the mirror.” Spoke Jeonghan trembling.

 

Vernon sighed and interrupted saying “Let me explain after I investigate myself.”

 

This time, Vernon’s questions were directed to Jeonghan. “How many people?”

 

“1.” answered Jeonghan.

 

“You don’t know him?”

 

Jeonghan nodded.

 

“Do you remember his face?” asked Vernon calmly as if its not a big deal that strangers could just enter their house.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why are you so calm?” asked Hoshi.

 

“Wait hyung, I need you to hear his explanation.”

 

Jeonghan continued explaining. “He’s looking at me right in the eye so I can remember well.” That statement kind of give the other members a different feel. If it’s not a person, then, its definitely a ghost. “He has black hair, tall and pale. His large eyes never let a stare off me. H-he keeps on following me everywhere.” he added.

 

“Alright, enough hyung. That’s all we need. Now, I need you to calm down. We will never leave your side, alright?” said Vernon. The members became more confused. And later on, Jeonghan loss his hearing, as per usual order according to his sickness. Thank goodness he was able to relax and find himself asleep on the sofa with the boys around him.

 

“Now, listen to me very carefully.” stated Vernon will all seriousness. The members gather around Vernon as he continued “Do you recognize the person he had just said?”

 

“What do you mean?” asked Dino. “We need to find that man as soon as possible.”

 

“No… listen carefully. Black hair, big eyes, tall and pale.” Vernon repeated what Jeonghan had said as if it was a riddle.

 

Slowly, the boys were getting Vernon’s message. “It isn’t true, right?” asked Hoshi in shock.

 

“You mean, he couldn’t even recognize himself now?” Jun argued.

 

“Vernon! Do you know something about this?” asked Seungkwan furiously.

 

Vernon nodded. “I’m sorry. I thought since he hasn’t have that occurrence for a long time, it’d only be a onetime event but-“bowed in guilt. “This is my fault.”

 

Learning that this already happened long before, their hearts were filled with sadness. “Everything about Jeonghan hyung is important, Vernon! Now, what should we do?” said Seungkwan in panic.

 

Dino on the other hand was in a state of shock thinking that it was more than what he feared for. This is terrible.

 

“We should tell the others. Also to Dr. Troy.” suggested Minghao. All agreed.

.

.

.

Seungcheol, Joshua, Jihoon, Wonwoo, Mingyu and DK were extremely shock about the report. It worried them too much, they couldn’t leave Dorm 2. For goodness sake, they should’ve rented a bigger dorm enough to accommodate them all, so they would be all aware of the things happening at the same time. All they could do now is to adjust and assign people for tasks so they could monitor everyone’s health. Moreover, to finish their job in time since the World Tour is fast approaching.

 

Jeonghan woke up but still impaired with vision and hearing. He couldn’t participate in any activities for now.