CHAPTER 43: The Court’s Decision, the New Doctor & King Arthur

Reset: What Kind of Lover?

 

 

‘Fear’ is on fire with just the shooting. The art was about to come. The concept was really compelling with their theme which is ‘in order to live life fully, you feel the pain before the gain’. Their dancing were still in the making of perfection. People were making a very impactful performance, including their expression which they took longer mastering than the actual choreography.

 

The shoot was almost done, the other kids rested in their van after their turn while waiting for the others. Seungcheol and Jeonghan were the people who will do the last frames. Since their turn would take a lot more time, Seungcheol allowed the other members to go home already.

 

Shooting artistic shots was a trial and error for both Seungcheol and Jeonghan. Shooting that last shot earlier than expected would be nice since they were tired. The last shot was Jeonghan’s dramatic scene with the smudge of the lipstick. His look was done quite longer than an hour, the lights took many experiments before deciding if it is perfect, and now, Jeonghan felt that he had but one take to finish it all. Redoing everything would be of great hassle if it wasn’t perfect in their first take. Burdensome but he made sure he prepared for it perfectly.

 

“Good work, everyone!” shouted the director at last.

 

Seungcheol, who was watching, remained mesmerize with Jeonghan.

 

 “Let’s go now?”

 

“Not wit this, Cheol. Help me clean.” Said Jeonghan.

 

In their surprise, the lipstick seemed to be water resistant. It was too late to ask for the make-up artist since they were gone long after trying removing the make up with water. The two giving up inside the bathroom said “It’s hard to remove.” They both groaned.

 

“My lips and cheeks hurt.” The other whined.

 

Seungcheol sighed in hopelessness. “Let’s go out with you like that. No one will see anyway.” Completely giving up.

 

“I want to go to a café first before going home.” The younger pouted.

 

“Then, we have to remove your skin.” Seungcheol joked and chuckled. “I never thought ladies would manufacture this thing (referring to make up) close to being a tattoo.” Still trying to remove some with water hoping that some would still get removed somehow.

 

The scene between them was kind of like when they were trainees as Jeonghan remembered. He chuckled making Seungcheol a bit surprised. “What’s up with you?
 

“Nothing. It’s just that this is like the old days. I miss you!” he said adorably and it made Seungcheol smile while continue removing the stubborn stain on Jeonghan’s cheeks.

 

“Fine. Let me treat you later.” Seungcheol added still with a sweet smile on his face.

 

It delighted Jeonghan. “Thank you, hyung!”

 

Seungcheol was surprised but it felt kind of sweet. It relieved him.

.

.

.

Meanwhile, Joshua was seeming disappointed over the phone. “That cannot be.” slightly racing his voice after a few conversation saying “I cannot let them touch him!”

 

People who hear became disturbed.

 

“I know.” Answered the other man on the phone. “I’m sorry.”

 

“They should say that to you. You’ve done nothing wrong.”

 

The other chuckled although in pain. “Well, I am a fool but I did not regret it.”

 

“No. They are the ones who are foolish! I am worried about Jeonghan, Dr. Eric.”

 

“I will send my research partner for the meantime. He’s a friend. Jeonghan knew him, although, I doubt he remembered. Please take care of him.”

 

“I see. He can be trusted, right?”

 

“Yeah. But he’s under probation like me. Although not as heavy as my case.” He chuckled.

 

“Why so?”

 

“He supports me.”

 

Joshua chuckled. “He can be trusted then. But what about those old folks?”

 

“It’s the patient’s decision anyway. I will not give up now… Please direct Ye Jun to him too. His name is Troy.”

 

“Got it. Let us bring your license back.” Joshua promised.

 

“Don’t do anything weird, dear friend. Please. I can handle myself. I can still do research.”

 

“Be careful there. I know they will not stop hunting you. I will spy on those doctors who violated Ye Jun. I will gather evidence that will prove your innocence.”

 

“Sweet child.”

 

“Don’t do something stupid, doctor. I’ve seen you experimenting on your lab one time. That’s dangerous.”

.

.

.

JAPAN TOUR

 

Arriving at Japan, Joshua was already on his phone. Hurriedly he opened it and tried to get a good signal. Same as Vernon. Whoever comes with a signal first should call the poor Doctor who has been in Japan for a few hours before they arrived. He was waiting at the airport as of the moment to see the boys and also to take the same ride as them since they booked the same hotel. He’s too excited meeting Seventeen with the photocards on his hands just to make sure he would not make a mistake identifying 13 dazzling boys.

 

“Choi Seunchol, Yoon Jeeyonghan, Hon’g Joshua” Troy was having difficulty pronouncing Asian names. He struggled even though he practiced a lot. “Wen Junhi… Jon Wonwu, Kwun Howshi, Lee Jihoon…” he continued with his cute British accent when suddenly he was startled by a call.

 

“Hello?” Dr. Troy answered.

 

“Hello, Dr. Troy? We will meet you outside. We are here. Sorry to keep you waiting.” Said Vernon. “This is Vernon.”

 

“Oh! Yes! Annyeog hassaeyow!” a little bit over slanging like how Eric first did. “I am a Carat too!” obvious with the postcards.

 

Vernon chuckled hearing the new doctor speak. “Thank you. We will see you in a bit.”

 

Troy need not to search for Seventeen anymore. It was obvious with the crowd pooling in one area of the airport with large cameras ready.

 

“Right here!” he shouted over the phone while waving. “I’m wearing neon green!”

 

Oh boy! It’s actually the first thing their blind members, Wonwoo and Jeonghan, first saw as soon as they came out of the terminal due to the color flashing along with the sunlight.

 

“Got ya!” answered Vernon. He waved his hand and greet him with his gummy smile. “You are easy to spot, Dr. Troy.”

 

“You all look so handsome!” he stated merrily which surprised Vernon. Giving him the thought of, ‘this man is a whole new person from Dr. Eric.’ The boys noticed that he’s looking thin and long. He’s not the captain America type with bulky muscles. His jaw was prominent and his eyes were large deep green in color. He’s jolly, hopefully not as hyper as Soon Young and Jun because they’re sensing it right with his smile. Anyway, he looked like a genius with glasses on. His smile was charming. Fair enough. Despite his vibrant appearance, he appeared messy. Maybe because he hadn’t had much rest.

 

“Thank you! You look-“ thinking of what to say “eye-uh- eye catching.” Vernon frowning his brows for not understanding why he said that. Anyway, the doctor just laughed it out. Then all the boys introduced themselves one by one to Troy politely.

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” said Joshua.

 

“That’s nothing.” He met Jeonghan and said “Jeonghan, I don’t know if you can still remember me, but among all, you are the one I am very familiar with.”

 

And no. Jeonghan didn’t recognize him at all. Not a single memory or familiarity. “Ummm- I’m sorry- I”

 

Sensing Jeonghan became uncomfortable, Troy tried to relax him with stories of him as an introduction. He’s Eric’s researcher. The one who do the lab and the writings. Eric was more on surgeries and patients.

 

“I will be with you while waiting for Dr. Eric to return. Nice to meet you all. Have patience on my Korean. I know some but obviously I am not good.”

.

.

.

HOTEL_

 

Troy had to prepare a new therapy. He brought the device he’s been innovating ever since he and Dr. Eric seemed to have a breakthrough. The device was tested by Dr. Eric many times before Troy do his duty.

 

“This can be painful. I also need assistance from you too, guys.” Troy suggested.

 

“Just pick any. We can carry Jeonghan.” answered Joshua. “By the way, how painful and effective the new machine is?”

 

“I must say, a lot better than the previous one. Although, I must admit that even though this therapy might take shorter time, this experience might be very painful to Jeonghan and to the one who will assist.” warned Troy.

 

“I see. Then, if this machine can help a lot better, might as well we share the pain too.”

 

Troy smiled. “Look how brave you all are.”

 

“Although, other members might as well shout in pain. We share pain, we shout together.” Joshua chuckled, as well as, Troy.

 

“Let me clean myself first. See you in my room. I will set up the machine there.”

 

Joshua nodded.

 

Therapy session at Troy’s hotel room, the boys arrived on time. It surprised the members after seeing Dr. Troy on his half body, just about to dress up after shower from bath. Unlike his messy image earlier, Troy actually looked like a handsome slim yet fit athlete.

 

“I’ll just get dressed. Feel comfortable.” stated Troy grabbing his clothes.

 

“Doctor KWAK!” shouted Jeonghan in surprise as he giggled.

 

Seungcheol, Jun, Mingyu, Vernon and Wonwoo, who were assigned to monitor the therapy for the night looked at him saying “That was rude.”

 

The poor bunny apologized immediately but in his defense, it’s for a reason. “Sorry, I didn’t recognize you before.”

 

Feeling moved, Troy felt relieved and said “Thank goodness you remembered me.”

 

“How could I not remember? By the way, what’s with the weird clothing in the airport? That’s not how you do airport fashion.” Jeonghan scolded naughtily as a sign of closeness.

 

The boys called Jeonghan’s attention because he might seriously offend his new doctor.

 

“It’s not like you are good at it too, you punk! You ready for the treatment?”

 

Hearing Seungcheol scolding the poor Jeonghan, he explained how and why Jeonghan called him in that name. It was a nickname. He also added that he served as Jeonghan’s psychiatrist during his stay in London. He was the one taking note of every activity and feeling Jeonghan had.

 

Now, the machine was right in front of them. It came with a silicon/ jelly thin mattress with embossed tiny circles; a compact machine, and wirings with needles on it. The machine was really scary. Even Jeonghan backed a bit.

 

“I’m scared.” Said Jeonghan- the bravest amongst all. That’s when people trembled.

 

“That’s the therapy?” said Vernon with his exaggeratedly, as usual, facial expression making Troy feel like he’s being morphed to another dimension.

 

“Close your mouth, son. I can sense a black hole in there.” Advised Troy jokingly.

 

“I think, it should be Chan you called instead of me, hyung.” Whispered Mingyu. Meanwhile, he could feel Seungcheol’s hand locking his arms looking scared as well. “You are staying here. Call Chan, he can help.”

 

“Can we call a friend?”

 

Troy was surprised. “Hey, you are too many people here now. I actually need two or three. Why would you call a friend?”

 

“We are cowards.” Admitted Mingyu cutely, pointing at the two of them (Seungcheol). “I cannot witness this.”

 

“You can close your eyes. I need strong men in best conditions because if this happens to trigger something, I need people who can easily move around and carry things.”

 

Just then, Wonwoo murmured. “They get stuck when that happens.” He sighed.

 

“What do you mean when something goes wrong?” asked Seungcheol worriedly.

 

“I will do a psychological method first before an additional therapy. If that happens, it may trigger some nerves that would result to another attack.” He explained making the others grasp the air.

 

“But, we cannot afford more attacks.” Said Wonwoo.

 

“That’s why I need strong men. I have no nurses here so, you’d be my nurses for the meantime.” Looking at their back with a package still sealed in a very big box, he said “You unpack those. Make sure to be careful. There’s an instrument there. It’s already fixed, although, some were not yet attached. You can look at it by the instructions.”

 

Vernon helped since he’d only be the one to comprehend the instructions completely. For the meantime, Jun, Vernon, and Mingyu were arranging the machine while Seungcheol and Wonwoo were on Jeonghan.

 

The process was meticulous. The boys were asked to go out first for 30 minutes after the doctor conditioned Jeonghan’s mind and body. Disturbance wasn’t allowed. The first stage was designed for Jeonghan to remember details from his past during his sleep.

 

“It hurts!” Jeonghan suddenly uttered as he squirmed a bit. “It hurts, dad. Mom!” the boys became startled hearing pain from Jeonghan’s voice. They became worried while Dr. Troy was monitoring his heart rate at another machine.

 

“Where does it hurt, Jeonghan?” asked the doctor with a tone of a parent, so loving and gentle.

 

“My arm, appa. My arm.” Raising his left hand to show even though he was asleep.

 

“Can you tell exactly where it hurts?” asked Troy without touching.

 

Jeonghan then tried to find out where but then, the pain was getting worst in his memory. He cried. “Appa! Help me. It hurts.” He cried.

 

“Can you identify, my dear?” Dr. Troy asked again looking carefully at Jeonghan’s rate from the monitor with his sweat going down his head.

 

“Here. Here.” The poor man pointing certain areas on his left hand and chest. Also the last one he’s pointed was at his ears, nearly beside the spine and brain.

 

Before Jeonghan could have a possible attack, Dr. Troy needed to stop for safety. At least he had discovered that it started by the arms to his chest and then to his ear.  The moment he woke Jeonghan up, Troy patted Jeonghan’s head gently and said “Good job, Jeonghan.”

 

The boys were not allowed to enter and seeing Jeonghan’s tears made them sad too.

 

“Are we good to proceed, Jeonghan?”

 

Jeonghan was doubting. It’s always been the hardest when Troy leads the therapy. Even though, he knew that it wasn’t his intention to hurt him.

 

“You can do this, kid.” sensing that Jeonghan was already stressed.

 

Seungcheol went beside Jeonghan and said “You did well, Jeonghan. Tell us when you are ready.” Seungcheol smiled.

 

“I want a hug.” Jeonghan uttered with low energy. When the boys saw weariness in his pout, their hearts melted. They, altogether, gave him a very warm hug.

 

 “This will hurt Jeonghan but this will help us discover the nerve. Prepare yourself now.” warned Troy.

 

The scene was nerve wracking. The needles were pierced onto Jeonghan’s fingers, one by one. Dr. Troy made sure it was on the tip of Jeonghan’s fingers and then, he gave a radiation like shock. Of course it hurts. After the hands, another set of needles on his back and another on his chest.

 

Jeonghan was heard wailing.

 

“Hyung. You can do it!” Jun encouraged Jeonghan while help pin Jeonghan’s body on the bed. “I’ll get you ice cream after.” He giggled pretending he’s not hurt in his heart.

 

“I want strawberry.” Managed to utter the flavor of his liking amidst the pain.

 

“I’ll get you different brand and a real strawberry.” Encouraged Jun. “Gelato if you want.” added him.

 

“Thank you. You are the best.” despite wimping in pain.

 

“Me too.” Vernon and Wonwoo uttered.

 

“Five more minutes.” Said Troy.

 

5 minutes was too long enough to endure. Poor Jeonghan, also to the boys’ who were exhausted mentaly.

 

“Done.” Announced Dr. Troy. However, as soon as Jeonghan finished, he vomited all over the floor and also in the bed. Thank goodness, Troy knew about this as he got plastic to cover his place in advance.

 

“One last procedure.” added Dr. Troy sadly while preparing needles, this time to inject some medicine.

 

“This is a very traumatic experience for me.” murmured Mingyu having lost all of his energy from all he witnessed.

 

“He’ll be fine. Put him to bed immediately after cleaning the mess all over him.” as Dr. Troy checked Jeonghan’s physical appearance, whole body. He discovered that Jeonghan needed a transplant as soon as possible. The bruises began spreading from his stomach reaching his heart. He didn’t reveal it yet to the boys because he needed to double check once they could access a good hospital.

 

“Before you go.” suddenly Troy uttered. “I need you here one by one.” while preparing an injection, a shot, Dr. Eric asked him to do for the boys.

 

“Wh-what is that supposed to mean?” asked Vernon frowning his brows in fear.

 

“I gotta give you a shot for immunity purposes… A booster given your tight schedule. Who wants to go first?”

 

“Seungcheol hyung! Please, we are scared.” Jun surprisingly volunteered the poor Seungcheol as he gulped with the pressure and tease.

 

“Lay your stomach on the bed. I need a to see your cheek, Captain.” Smirking as it terrified the young man more.

 

“Can’t it be on my arm?” bargained the younger.

 

A simple “Nope.” was replied. It was fast, although the sudden prick would make you jolt in pain.

 

INJECTION, DONE! Looking for the next candidates as he did the procedure. “Call the rest of the members too.”

 

“Doc, will this be okay with Jun, Hoshi, DK and Dino? They’re hyper enough. By the way, can you double shot Jihoon, he’s kinda inactive.” worried Seungcheol although jokingly. The problem was half meant true though.

.

.

.

In the middle of the night, Jeonghan woke up tossing and turning. His roommate, DK, took notice.

 

“Jeonghan hyung?” asked DK with drowsy eyes. “Is there something wrong? You can wake me up, you know.”

 

Feeling sorry for the poor DK, he apologized and asked him to continue his sleep. However, DK couldn’t help but notice Jeonghan rubbing on his stomach. “Does it hurt?”

 

“I am hungry, DK.” Jeonghan admitted cutely.

 

DK smiled. “You want to grab something outside? You should’ve said so.” The younger man chuckled. Both went outside, also for a light stroll after eating a good and very delicious ramen partnered with ramune which has this strong kick even though it wasn’t a liquor. Back to their hotel room to sleep, Jeonghan was again caught having discomfort in his stomach.  

 

“Hyung. I know you are not hungry anymore. Does your stomach hurt?”

 

“A little. I might have eaten a lot.”

 

“Will call for hot compress.”

 

“I can call. You go back to sleep now.”

 

“I am not sleepy. Besides, how can I leave you in that situation?”

 

“How sweet of you. Thank you… Can I sit beside you?”

 

“Sure. I think tea can help. Let me just get you one real quick.”

 

On the other hand, DK thought he needed some too, but the only person they know who has teas available and open 24/7 for them was Minghao. “You think, Minghao hyung is still awake, hyung?”

 

Jeonghan scrunched his nose as he thought. “Nope. That ahjumma, as much as possible, doesn’t stay late night.” He giggled.

 

“Right. Then can you wait for me. I will go out myself. I don’t want a regular tea, hyung.”

 

Jeonghan understood how choosy, DK’s tongue with teas. He doesn’t like too much grassy flavored on it, but it’s already late. “Where will you get it?”

 

“I saw a café open just across the street.”

 

“Alright. I’ll just wait for the service guy.”

 

DK, while waiting inside a café with his orders saw a firework, surprisingly appeared in the sky that midnight. He called Jeonghan and told him. “Hyung, you okay? Look at the sky. It’s my gift for you.” And then, he giggled with his effortless and timing gift.

 

Jeonghan peak outside as he shoved the curtains and sat on the chair near the window with the hot compress against his stomach. He giggled as he answered. “Ya, you are lucky that that gift chose you. It’s beautiful. Thank you.”

 

“I know.” The other giggled. “Are you getting better?”

 

“Yeah. Just feeling cold. Hold on.” Grabbing the comforter to the place as he watched the fireworks. “Will you take long?”

 

“Not really. They’re preparing it. It looks really good.” Looking at how the bartender made their fancy teas with cool mugs bought by DK for each of them because it’s too KAWAII and Jeonghan likes cute stuffs. It’s a tumbler that preserves coldness and hotness for a very long period of time. Besides the design was marvelous with Bamboo container for convenience.

 

“For King Arthur!” called the waitress. Hearing the name from another line, Jeonghan giggled.

 

“Your majesty.” He teased.

 

DK giggled bashfully because he got busted.

 

“Come here now, King Arthur. I think I need my tea.”

 

“Yup. I‘ll be right there in a few sec.”

 

As promised, King Arthur returned mightily and a little bit off character. The royal blood should be of elegance and great stature, but the one came into their room was jolly instead. Jeonghan’s face became brighter when he saw DK. In addition, it made his smile wider when he saw a cute mug held by DK.

 

“This is my real gift.” DK stated giving the other his cup of tea. They both enjoyed the hot and refreshing drink as they fool around. Their laughter was heard on the other room, which was of Seungcheol’s. And because they chose to have a connected room for emergency purposes, Seungcheol checked on them.

 

“Ya. Aren’t you both asleep?

 

The two were startled and a bit scared upon Seungcheol’s surprise inspection.

 

“Sorry. I got hungry.” Jeonghan smiled.

 

Seungcheol looked at the clock and saw it was already 2 in the morning. “You sleep as soon as possible.” Eyeing on them so fiercely.

 

“Yes~”

 

“Good night.”