NA Letters to Once

Best Kept Secret

[Once hello~ what are you doing hehe]

[I’m Jihyo. How did you guess?]

[daebak just by looking at the message]

[hehehe]

“There are Once who know us very well. Maybe those who chatted yesterday aren’t really Once?” Jihyo utters.

“How can we tell? There were those who collected merch. Now, they hate us and wreck stuff. They didn’t know us. They didn’t understand us”, Sana shares.

“Honestly, is there anyone who did? Nonetheless, they were supportive. Not violent. Those aren’t real Once.”

“We have to find where the real Once are”, Nayeon proposes.

Jihyo nods. She’s on it as she says, “That’s why I’m using the premium chat now. Only real Once must be here, right?”

[the reason I came to V+ today is… yesterday, Jeongyeon-ie said there were strange people. so for Once not to get stressed, I came here]

[Once too must be having a hard time. I want to see you soon. We’re gonna have a concert right hehe… on March]

[I really wanna say this to you]

[all 9 of us are never insincere in front of Once. I want to say that we never did not cherish you. There are a lot of things we’re able to overcome because of Once. We wouldn’t be able to do anything if we’re alone]

[there’s a place where only Once is around. Perform happily on stage, talk to each other. I want to do that]

Stage. It’s the place where they are most alive as they can truly express themselves. Particularly, on concerts. As they know, they are surrounded only by Once.

[ah Chaeyoung is still a bit sick today too. But she’ll get well soon!! Don’t worry. It’s alright even if we’re sick]

[today’s opening… as yesterday is black, today is white!! It’s a hint kekeke]

[Once, can I go eat? Hehe. I’ll be right back]

Yesterday was a dark masquerade. They had to carry something external to them and put it on for a cover-up. Like how they were given the task to carry the burden of setup dating.

Falsity is difficult. Tzuyu had to tame her frankness. She almost slipped when she suddenly went off track her speech, “I want to confess to our company’s Park Jinyoung PD-nim….”

Sana, Jihyo, and Nayeon’s eyes widen. They were caught off guard. Tzuyu about to spill something… What is it? Do we know of it? We thoroughly discussed the plan, right? This isn’t the proper place and time!

But they were able to breathe when Tzuyu continued “Our JYP father, we love you! Thank you!”

How much longer can they put up with the mask? Tired and done, they intend to rid of it. To be cleansed off the mess and be free.

So today, they are in white. Nothing covers their faces. Nothing covers their true selves. And along with the dress, they each have a set of white wings as that of the heavenly angels.

For Twice, the stage is a place of sincerity and great happiness. Thus, in contrast to yesterday’s dark masquerade, today is a bright paradise.

It’s an ideal place with Once. But with many other platforms such as the chat, Jihyo also takes such opportunity to convey sincerity. Which, may include expressing temper.

Back to V+. Among hundreds of comments that have come up, the leader is triggered by one that she felt the need to speak up.

[ah right. On the day of MAMA, I didn’t come out in the middle. just saying this to some attention seekers that are oong-aeng-oong]

A new Korean word that has a negative connotation for it being a feminist slang. Meaning, those who are muttering around; talking too much rather than listening.

This is the natural effect, unfortunately. Fake or true, this is the burden of celebrities’ dating. People will talk. It’s just that in real relationships, parties involved could care less. They’re cool being linked to each other.

While in setups, it must be extra annoying if not other sorts of negative. Always on their toes, having no idea when and where their names would appear next. One could be dragged whenever the other has something unfortunate.

Such as the case of Jihyo and Daniel a month ago. The lone man unfortunately had a crude breakdown while Jihyo had to appear graceful in public.

Since they are just setup and without a fair communication to anchor their ship with, being mindful of the other is plainly nonexistent. So when it sinks, it’s time to save the self.

The drag was traumatizing for Jihyo that to be identified as Daniel’s worried girlfriend, it disgusts her. She wouldn’t let the comment pass.

“Either there are non-Once in this premium chat OR just oblivious. Wanna know what really happened? Fine”, Jihyo types and hits send.

[I was just sick]

[kekekekekeke]

Laughs, “Of course! I was worried sick—FOR MYSELF.”

[oh I’m sorry that people might be excited about a new gossip to talk about. I couldn’t do anything with my body being sick]

Had those ‘Once’ listened more instead of mutter, they would have understood Jihyo and behave accordingly.

Sana snoops from behind, curious about what her partner is amused of. Hands on stomach, lips by the ear whispering “They just want to know how much of a sweet girlfriend you are.”

The leader pans to the other and says, “It’s Jihyo’s Sana who knows it best.”

Jihyo’s Sana. Yesterday in the waiting room, Jihyo was talking to the Twice TV camera. Two others were seen in the frame. She shared, “Jeongyeon-ie is over there.”

Jeong was on the phone, busy reading that she didn’t bother. Jihyo then shifted to the other one saying “By the way, who is… this?

Me?” Came up close and uttered, “Jihyo’s Sana imnida~” Then caresses the back of Jihyo’s head.

Upon recalling, Sana turns red and cracks up.

Sana’s Jihyo in January 2019. Jihyo’s Sana for January 2020. January, the month in between Sana’s and Jihyo’s.

Though Jihyo cackles along, she tells her “I’m taking January as officially ours now. Happy anniversary! No erasies!”

“Okay but first, give me a kiss.”

“Nope”, turns away grinning. “I’m still mad.”

“I- You know it’s for Momo-yah. How else could we help her?”

“Through Nayeon-ie”, the leader looks back. “She pulled you up, held Mina, carried me… She’s been saving us. We help Momo by saving Nayeon-ie this time.”

The girls change up for their stage performance. Still in white, just with added silver studs. Not much difference from the opening unlike yesterday. It’s the setlist that’s diverse this time.

Yesterday, they performed Yes or Yes, Fancy, and a B-side rock track Stuck In My Head. All upbeats.

Today, Jihyo performs the modern dance she’s been working on. As if to freely express oneself. Then, an old mellow track Melting. As if to deliver profound emotions. The only one expected is Feel Special. A song that conveys personal message.

No more slippery stage. Everything done as rehearsed.

For the second day of the Golden Disk Awards, Twice receives another bonsang. Nayeon concludes speech with a familiar expression as if to affirm the message, “Thank you for always supporting us like this. No matter what happens, let’s never be shaken.”

I gave you my word and I said it again. Do not be shaken. Do not be shocked. Do not be surprised. Never let your hearts waver. Cause we need you Once.

We need you, the people who understand us. You who could see through the mask and look at our true selves. We need you more than ever.

Later that evening, the unnie gives another letter to Once:

“Thank you to Once who came to cheer today! It’s cold, did you get home safely? Thanks to Once who cheered from afar too. I felt assured while performing.

I didn’t expect to come here so often. But now, I’ll have to start coming over more! I’ve been looking for a place where I can talk about lengthy things with Once.”

Jihyo tested the V+ chat to gauge where the real Once are. Nayeon, on the other hand, is on a platform where she sent her previous letter—on the JYP Fans web.

Nayeon continues, “We don’t have a lot of official schedules in January and I thought Once might miss us so I filmed a lot of videos.

I asked the unnie in our staff team earlier, she said the videos of me and Momo will be uploaded soon! (But if not, what to do TT)

Also, there are many fun things happened between the members during the year-end. Unfortunately, we always forget the camera.

I feel sorry, I feel like we’ve been making Once anticipate by talking about it for the past months. We’re preparing all sorts but we’re trying to find a good timing where we can have you see all members happily. So, please wait TT”

They are yet to be fully happy but are moving towards it. Twice is braving battles one at a time. To be able to radiate happiness, Nayeon recognizes that it must start from within.

“Thank you so much for today. These days, there seems to be many people who are having a hard time. Don’t think much about it and just take a nice deep rest.

Sometimes, when my head hurts too much or I don’t want to think about anything, I turn off my phone and write in my diary. It’s okay to take a break and then get back up. So Once, you can rest today <3”

Pen down, diary closed. Palms on face and body drops to bed. Still her mind is drifting, the gods must be thinking so highly of us to be given these problems.

Sometimes, even family and friends don’t understand each other. What more with Once?

“Michyeosseo”, Nayeon chuckles on mute that sooner turns to sobbing. She finds herself in a crazy situation. Exhausted inside out, the unnie cries herself to sleep.

Meanwhile Momo being roommates with Jeong, she has learned about some Once’s hostile response in the chat; that of insincerity.

Thinking it was due to the dating news, she spends the entire night contemplating how to address this.

“I must try”, pens and papers ready. Momo writes a letter too.