Winter Sun

Best Kept Secret

“Oh look, aren’t we the restless line?” Chaeyoung says when she notices herself together with Momo and Jihyo, the members who are lacking quality rest.

“O- But when we talk to Once, we’ll be okay” Momo mutters while running in only 4 hours of sleep.

“Sorry, I think I couldn’t. I’ll just sleep. It’s too tiring.”

Momo is the first to finish shooting. Upon entering the van, she set her phone along with Tzuyu’s gift. It’s a mobile camera stand with lighting aiding Momo’s vlog inclination. Chaeyoung follows minutes after, she settles on the side and sleeps. Jihyo arrives last.

Twice divided into units and had schedules in different locations since sunrise. It’s already late in the afternoon when the restless line left from the location in Incheon. While heading back to Seoul, Momo thought of going Live.

“Jihyo say hi!”

Chatting to Once last night cheered Jihyo up that she’s in for another encounter with Once. This time with the camera on thru the Vlive, “I became so close to Once yesterday. I was sending messages with Once for about an hour yesterday.”

Momo detaches the vlog tool and hands them to the leader so that the latter could talk to Once and get close again. But, Jihyo can’t seem to fix it and put to her side.

Momo nitpicks her puberty twin as the tool is returned and refocuses back to her, “This is the reason why you can’t get close to Vlive. You have to get close, like me.”

“You’re not allowed to talk about the shooting”, Jihyo claps back as heard in the background.

“I didn’t say anything. We just had a schedule. They can already tell that from my face.” Momo is dolled up with hair hardened from sprays.

“They might just think it’s a concept for the Live. Like a relaxed look but pretending to be busy.”

“Okay then, let’s go with that.”

As they go on, Jihyo shares a little trivia about the day’s national event—the CSAT (College Scholastic Ability Test). She then sends words of wisdom for the exam takers to do their best.

However, life still depends on the individual. Jihyo cites their road manager as an example who had Control Automation major. Yet, he ends up driving around for Twice contentedly.

Jihyo asks the manager for some interview tips for those who are also aiming to work for the company. He says “First of all, sincerity is the most important” and goes on to give other tips “Bring a concrete plan. A future-oriented approach would be effective.”

Jihyo then asks Momo to summarize what’s said. But she’s “Sorry I wasn’t paying attention.”

Momo turns it back to Jihyo who’s also not fully paying attention. Nonetheless, the leader tries to remember “Ok, sincerity- Sincerity is important. Because, people shouldn’t lie. Can you lie? No. So, sincerity is important. Be sincere. ‘Why do I need this job?’ Explain it to the interviewers.”

“That’s the tip for those who want to become staff. But it may be difficult for Once.”

“If Once join, they might quit being Once.”

“Right. They will know too much about us.”

“We are ordinary…” Jihyo says then Momo continues, “We are just ordinary people.”

While these two are noisy, Chaeyoung on the side is asleep. Momo wishes the maknae to have good dreams, "Jalja Chaeyoung-ah~"

“She sleeps well no matter where. I envy her. I had weird dreams lately", Jihyo is indecisive of whether to talk about these. She ends up wanting to just share the stories amongst them in their chat.

“I look forward to it”, Momo anticipates. She then shares her sentiment on dreams. She says “If you don’t dream, it means you sleep tight. I dream almost every day… Jihyo gave me a present since I can’t sleep well lately. It’s a mist you spray on pillow.”

When they can’t think of other things to share, Momo reads comments. She notices “Many fans leave nice comments. But some leave weird comments, too. The way I see this is that people have different opinions. I understand that.”

“For me, they can watch or read things they like. Why do they spend time to find things they dislike? It’s a waste of time. I said this to Once yesterday, look at only good things which make you happy. Sometimes, it’s hard to be happy even if we do that.”

“Also, we need to think positively even though there are bad.” Momo then read out loud that one complimenting comment, “When did they grow up and be so mature?”

She banters again with Jihyo about this, “They think we’re grown-ups.”

“No, we’re still young. I want to stay young.”

“Me too. I’m like 14 years old in my heart.”

Someone asks about when is Twice’s filming another reality show. Jihyo says, “Now? Isn’t this like a reality show?” Momo agrees, “This is so real. Realer than a reality show.”

Later on, she reads “Please show Jihyo too.” Momo then passes the camera to the leader. After some time, they go on playing a little game. Simply, choosing from only two choices when time’s up and see if Momo and Jihyo matches.

Nayeon vs Jeongyeon: Jihyo laughs out and says “Let’s not do this.” Meanwhile, Momo proceeds to answer, “NaJeong!”

Summer vs Winter: 1, 2, 3! Both answers in unison, “Summer.”

Cola vs Sprite: Again, both answers in unison “Cola.” They play a few more and sooner end the Live as they close in to the dorm.

Jihyo prepares to shield herself from the cold for when she alights the van. She ponders, “Brr~ Hate the cold. Why does Sana’s name mean Summer when she’s born in a cold day? Is it because she would become bright and warm like summer?”

“You liking summer and then cola over sprite…” Momo highlights the play on words as Sprite in Korean is Saida.

“Is this another way of saying you like Sana? Very passive-aggressive, indirect as if indecisive. Very you”, Momo responds while keeping her phone and mobile stand.

“Even if I wanted to- I can’t say it now, can I?” In their fan meetings and Vlives nowadays, only Sana calls the other ‘jjakkung’ or ‘partner’ in public. Jihyo sighs, “Wish I had called her louder and often.”

The leader suddenly pauses and looks at Momo. She’s in doubt of something so she interrogates back, “How about you?! You have couple rings... Ah, best friends?! Tch, you also picked Cola. It’s Dahyun then? You say I’m indecisive when you can’t even pick amongst her, Nayeon, or Jeongyeon-ie!”

Just when the two seem matching and in truce, they start nitpicking each other again. Chaeng wakes up to the unnies throwing puberty fit. She shakes head while stretching arms “Ugh thank goodness, me and Minari only look at each other.”

Momo and Jihyo in unison, “You don’t!”

“Sorry, let me correct that. She’s pretty Mina who cares a lot and her name means everyone. Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s also looking at the others” Chaeng shrugs.

Momo hisses at Jihyo for ruining the newly awakened maknae. The leader wouldn’t take full responsibility as Momo’s in it too. So, she empathizes with Chaeng while still teasing Momo, “Sana is bright. Me as someone in the dark wouldn’t mind looking. Loyalty is understandable, Chaeng.”

“I understand it too”, Momo mutters and pouts.

“Yes, unnie. I know.” Chaeng believes her.

“You do?” Jihyo is confused. The van has parked. Pouty momo goes ahead as soon as they alight. “To whom is she loyal to?”, Jihyo thinks out loud and gasps on the possibility. “Seolma!”

Jihyo quickly follows Momo to verify her hunch. But it slips her mind when Nayeon directs her to see Sana asap. She hears her partner’s little cry. When she pushes the door open, she witnesses Sana lying face down with an exposed upper back while Jeongyeon is tending something on it.

“T-tell me what.”

“Uh, just some… burn.” Jeong tries to downplay the situation so as to not worry Jihyo further. But of course, she worries further.

“It’s not jUST. IT IS BURN! What the hell happened?” Jihyo starts tearing up as if also feeling the sting on her partner’s left shoulder blade. It was an accident. Or more like an occupational hazard.

Sana got burnt by an iron curler while being dolled up. That night, a pain that must’ve felt like hell had to be endured. In the morning after, she shows up at the airport on off-shoulder fit with hair swept to her right.

The second night isn’t much of a difference. Nonetheless, Sana would take any healing period she could get. Jihyo changes her band aid this time, she asks “How you feeling?”

“y”, Sana says with a little giggle.

Jihyo caresses the skin surrounding the wound and plants a kiss. She tells her, “Does 2019 hate us?”

“Actually, 2019 loves us so much it’s letting us know that time is precious. And to spend it sincerely with the ones we like. It will be over soon anyway.”

“O- Before that, it’s your birthday.”

Sana nods at her. “2019 loves us after all”, Jihyo then lies down on her side. She then starts calling Sana over and over, “Jjakkung~”

My light in this dark. My summer in this winter. Thank you for being bright and positive when I couldn’t. I’m spending my precious time sincerely with you.

“Jjakkung~”

“Wae? What are you doing?”

Jihyo shaking head doesn’t explain. Instead, she keeps calling. The next day after a Twicelights show in Miyagi, Jihyo wouldn’t leave Sana.

In the van while waiting for Dahyun and Tzuyu, Sana tells her “You could’ve gone ahead with Jeongyeon-ie.”

“It’s fine. I wanna make sure for myself how you’re doing.”

“I’m better now. Way better. So~ Go get some sleep.”

Dahyun and Tzuyu enters the van with a Live on broadcast. Sana can be captured as she’s right behind them. They read a comment, “Who’s next to Sana?”

Sana answers brightly, “Jihyo my jjakkung.”

Through the dim, Sana could see a faint smile. Her partner then faces the window, closes eyes to nap. Being able to call ‘jjakkung’ as much and be called back is satisfying. At this moment, Jihyo wouldn’t envy Chaeyoung as she too is able to sleep well.