The Loudest Message

Best Kept Secret

Being setup to cover something isn’t farfetched in the industry. K-Dramas and movies have portrayed it. Despite what Twice amassed for the company, the girls never thought that their own kin JYPE could do it to them.

Their lifestyle is difficult enough requiring hard work and dedication. Add to that the criticisms. These are the consequences the girls have trained to take.

The ones they’re aware of are easier. They acknowledge their shortcomings and simply live with their imperfections. On things they didn’t mean to, it’s less so as they are distraught.

However, on actions they themselves didn’t do; they are angry. Dating should be happy news. And the public is even fairly tolerant of it. Yet for Twice who have been open and true, throwing Jihyo in to a fake love isn’t.

Their plate is full to be dealing with a whole different set. All the nightmares and tears, it must’ve been hard to stomach. As criticisms, which sprung from the news though few, are vile.

“This too shall pass” says a famous quote. Letting go, Twice just wouldn’t do so without sending out their loudest message. One they hope would clear them from all of these.

Jeongyeon in her Mad Hatter costume starts off, “Another year has passed this fast. In each year, our Once never changed and it amazes me that it’s getting more. What should I say? I just hope that we stay this way.”

“There are both happy and sad events. But let’s be happy! Tomorrow is Monday where some have to go work. Let’s think on the bright side. Weekend will come.”

This Jeongyeon has the same energy with the Vlive after the Chicago leg of Twicelights. She’s tired and done that she just wants to drink the difficulties away.

“Thank you for spending time with us. Let’s have a meal. Let’s have a drink. Everyone here’s an adult, right? Let’s have it in this state.”

“In this state?” Tzuyu in her Maleficent suit says “No, I don’t want to.”

Nayeon is the most normal looking. She is dressed as Choi Min Sik from a Korean movie Old Boy. She welcomes the idea saying, “Let’s think about it.”

Momo cosplays Boo from her favorite movie, Monsters Inc. “I’m so happy we’re able to play with Once and have performance. Right until now throughout the 4 years, we went through many things with Once. Whether it’s tough or happy times. So, our relationship has gotten better.”

Nayeon corrects her, “Closer.” This apricot neon magenta fandom has become more tightknit as tough times expose who the real friends are.

“Ah yea, relationship got closer. I’m happy that I’m able to stand on stage as nine. In the future, I hope Once and nine of Twice are all healthy and only have happy things happening.”

Lacking members is nothing new. As in the past, there had been injuries. Even then, Twice were happy. Physical hurts are easier to heal. When one is tired, rest is mainly the answer. This time even in sleep, they are restless.

“I’m here. No more excuses Jihyo-yah”, as what Mina said.

They are now standing as nine, making it known that it’s not about Mina any longer. That the mental wound they’re enduring is that of Jihyo’s. The leader musters the courage.

“Is there anyone here who have been Once since the 1st year?” Jihyo who’s cosplaying Miguel from Coco sees many. “Wah it’s amazing. Thank you so much. And now, today is exactly the 4th year debut date.”

Jihyo is finding the right words, “Throughout the 4 years, many things happened. There are both kinds of tears. Tears of joy and tears due to sad events. There also laughing times because of happy things.

Because of Once, there are things that made us too happy that we cried. It made me think that we don’t only have good things. But we’re still together, cheering, cherishing, and trusting each other.

So, the thing I wanted to say is…”

Many of you have watched us all these years, it means you know ME enough. You trust me enough. From Day 1, I’ve received criticisms. And that’s okay cause it’s the consequences of MY decision to become an artist.

This- this dating thing isn’t. I am not with Daniel. I don’t own and deserve any of these. Especially, the criticisms. What you’ve seen and read from others is not me. Look here, believe us instead.

“So, the thing I wanted to say is… No matter what others say, as long as we’re good among ourselves… is enough, right? Nowadays, many people say things easily.

I hope Once won’t be hurt or have tough times because of us. We too don’t get affected by others as well. We’ll just have fun amongst ourselves for a long time until we aged.”

Jeong affirms while Nayeon asserts, “Good. Other than Once and Twice, please move aside.” No one else would understand anyway.

“Anyway~ Like what Momo said, the fact that we can do these together as nine. I really felt that a lot especially today. It was also thanks to everyone that nine of us can shine.

Once who always brighten us, thank you so much. Please take care of us in the future.” Jihyo sees her family among the crowd and feels reassured.

Tzuyu, on the other hand, is ocean away from family. What sustained her all this time made her longing bearable. “I think I’ve met a lot of good people on my way here. I’ve received a lot of help from these people to be able to stand here today.”

“Our Once, thank you for liking this side of us. Also, when you’re exhausted or having difficulty, do not be scared since we’re here. Let’s walk together in everything.” Certainly, the maknae intends to protect her newfound family.

Though a local, Nayeon has the same intention. She expresses that this IS the relationship they’d fight for, “All the memories with everyone is fun and enjoyable.

Sometimes I think with unsettling feelings, ‘What happens if Once disappears?’ But slowly as time passed and with the fan meeting today, I think that bad feeling is disappearing.”

Throwing caution, the fierce unnie trusts all the years the Once has known them. Hoping that they would also be fought for, “I think it has been a great time where we slowly build up things that are only shared between Once and us. And no matter what others say, Once fight for us.”

“Please don’t fight”, Tzuyu doesn’t advocate violence.

Jihyo perceives it pointless. She adds, “Just leave them alone.”

Nayeon continues and abridges Jihyo’s message “Looking at Once, I felt assured yet also felt bad. I hope Once don’t get stressed by the words of others. Like what Jihyo said, just look at us. And only look at the good things.

Thanks to everyone who’ve worked hard behind. As well as the members who thought that any stage as something dreadful yet also precious. Especially to Mina who gained courage. It’s a very blissful stage done with nine people.”

“My skin is getting drier. It’s time for me to go back to the lamp”, says Dahyun who is Genie for today. Not just to be comical but like the character, she wants to fulfill the impossible.

“It’s been a meaningful anniversary because the nine of us are together. Those 4 years can be felt not long nor short. Twice came running up ‘til here with good people and good Once.”

The world isn’t made up of only good people and good Once. It may be impossible to make everyone look at them and see the truth. But a genie Dahyun has got to try. There may never be a better opportunity.

“The unnies have already thanked everyone so I have three wishes for genie. First! For Twice, who’ve worked hard, to be happy. Second! For Once, who’s always by our side, to laugh always and be happy looking at Twice.”

Jeong notices her struggle. So, she wishes for her to go back being Dahyun, “Time for you to go back to being a rapper.”

“Yeah, time to go back.” Dahyun makes her third wish “Lastly, for Once and Twice to be together for a long time.”

Tzuyu pleads, “Please make it true!”

It’s Sana’s turn. She’s also finding words, “I have so many things to say. What should I do?”

“Just say a lot”, partner Jihyo spoils her. “Since it’s our anniversary, we can just sit and wait.” Nayeon seconded saying, “Take your time.”

Sana goes on, “This 4th year fan meeting is the best to me. I felt very thankful since debut days or even before for being with us. Slowly as we’re having activities, we’re very thankful to everyone.

We’re able to do lots of things and share a lot of times together because there’s Once. Though we say it’s 4th anniversary, don’t think you weren’t there from the start. I think we will have more days ahead. So, Once please keep us as your memories of today.”

The old Once have known the girls. But that doesn’t take away from the new Once. They didn’t miss a thing. Because what they were is still what they are. Just stronger.

“Let’s work hard together until the next time we meet. Thanks to everyone and to our members who are always by my side”, Sana bows.

Now on Chaeyoung who counts blessings, “I thought a lot about how 4 years has passed. Besides feeling it passed quickly, I also realized a lot has happened. I think most of the memories are happy ones.”

Rebel Chaeng discloses a glimpse of the mental burden they carry. “Not long ago, I texted with Jeongyeon unnie. We don’t actually text besides group chat. We also talked about difficult times. ‘There are more happy moments. So, let’s think positively’ Jeongyeon-ie said.”

“Yes, I think she’s right.” Cause the unfortunate and unforeseen events became blessings in disguise. Genuine feelings of genuine people are revealed.

Chaeng follows up on her story. “Then she said, ‘I love you Chaeng-ah.’ Needlessly, I teared up and made me realize that we’re really like a family and depend on each other a lot.”

“It’s really nice as there are a lot of Once and people who cheered for us. For us to express ourselves and delivering it is always hard. Even if I wrote long letters but there’s no way for me to deliver. We only able to express it through stage or performances or album since it’s our job.”

Not everyone will know the truth. But there are people who would. For that, I’ll keep up and do better.

“Once always love and like the lacking us. I’m very thankful as we’re always receiving lots of strength. I’ve always wanted to say this but couldn’t, I’m sorry. I’ll do better in the future.”

Lastly, Mina who made everything extra special completes the loudness of their message. Holding her, Jihyo off mic checks on Mina if she’s okay while Nayeon holds her by the other hand.

Mina affirms that she desires to say something no matter how faint and few. She takes up the mic and says simply, “Thank you to Once and to the members as well.”

Tears are shed. From here on, the girls having each other’s back has never been so passionate. They’ve said and done their loudest. They’d care less that the world expects them to act differently. To act as if Jihyo has someone else.

Because the truth, though only understood by a few, is that there’s no one else.

If even after this, we couldn’t make you understand then think all you want. You are free to believe them instead of us. Regardless, we’ll remain as Nayeon… Jeongyeon… Momo… Sana… Mina… Dahyun… Chaeyoung… Tzuyu…

I am who I am. Regardless if you’ve known me as Godjihyo or Kang Daniel’s girlfriend. I’ll remain as my real self. And this Park Jihyo includes being-

Sana’s Jihyo.