Mina's Return

Best Kept Secret

“Who will you take to a deserted island with you?” a fan asks.

Looks around, “Uh…” Though there’s only eight members present, Chaeyoung utters “Mina unnie!”

She has lived this on a similar memory. The ocean was calm as the breeze was just right. Waves softly met footprints stamped by Mina and Chaeyoung walking side by side. Chaeng picked up a pebble in her desire to make it hop on the big blue for as many times.

“Here goes”, she blessed it with her lips hoping it’ll go this time. But just like her previous attempts, the stone drowned as soon as it made impact. She turned back to an amused Mina who’s waiting with an arm reaching out.

“If only I have all the time in the world to make you see.”

“If I happen to miss it, just tell me and I’d still believe.”

Their hands intertwine. And while drifting somewhere, Chaeng mused impishly “You have to see. Cause what if I lie?”

Mina cackled. She only looked at her for a while now that she has known her too well. Thus, she rubbed the audacity off of the younger’s cheeks “You must be hungry?”

The gentle knead turned into squeeze making Chaeng’s lips pucker that she could only reply through a sound, “Uh.”

“Come, I know a place.” Mina, who had familiarized her favorite place, led Chaeyoung to her favorite food served in a truck. It was the best shrimp she had by far.

Later into the fan meet, Chaeyoung has shared this memory of their little food hunt when the girls talk of Hawaii. The good vibe is evident. Given what transpired yesterday, it’s because Twice has carried out their loudest message to date.

Yet when Jihyo allows her wounds a moment, she still finds herself sulking. At the end of the day, she couldn’t control what most of the world thinks of her according to the news it’s fed with. Sana takes notice and tucks her to arms. Chaeng glances over.

Jihyo unnie, maybe being loved regardless of truth would suffice. Could be nice to have more Minari in this world. One who knows us well enough. Sadly, it isn’t the case. Being misunderstood by billions no matter how much you’ve shown yourself could be painful. But you have us eight who do.

Shortly, the girls receive a memo. It states to proceed with upcoming activities as is the current line-up. That is, with just eight members. Must be the evaluation on Mina.

And she too has eight here waiting.

Twice plows through the last stretch of promotions. While the girls have recorded their closing stage on the Inkigayo Super Concert, they have also conquered through individual schedules. Sana, Jihyo, Nayeon, and Dahyun spare an interview with Time.

Sana differentiates Twice music from when they were starting to what they want to achieve at present. To send a message. She says “This time, we are trying to show our real heart to the listeners as individuals.”

As more people recognize Twice, the girls also open up about the weight that goes with it. Jihyo shares, “The most detailed example of meeting this expectation is shown as one member is resting now because she is also struggling.”

Jakku sumgoman shipeoseo

Maju hagiga shireoseo modeun ge

Uimireul ireun deushi

[I just wanted to hide. Didn’t wanna face the world

As if everything has lost meaning.]

“We were also feeling similar anxieties as Mina did. All members were feeling that. As I saw the positive response, I thought that Twice doesn’t have to be in a rush when it comes to activities”, Nayeon relates.

Dahyun emphasizes, “Physical and mental health are the most important things the members should take care of.”

They do take care. It’s just that life happens in ways they didn’t wish for. Mina’s situation is unfortunate that they were broken. While Jihyo’s dating news is unforeseen that they were thrown off.

Gets more draining since the world knows a different reality. Which too has expectations. One Jihyo didn’t wanna live up to. Along with consequences she didn’t choose to deal with. Jihyo is also struggling as she lacks control of her life right now.

She gets a chance to re-center when Twice goes on a quick break. Too quick, the foreigners wouldn’t fly to their hometowns. Jihyo extends an invite to Sana, “Come over so Bbuyo could meet you.”

“Nah, cats don’t like me.”

“Bbuyo is different from Bomb”, Jihyo pouts. Sana in a polite smile shakes head turning her down. Jihyo shoves things to her bag, “I’ll get a dog too then.”

“Bye.”

Sana still smiling waves to her, “It’s your family time Jihyo-yah. Enjoy!” In meters apart, Jihyo raises arms with thumbs up.

Although the Feel Special promotions have officially concluded, the girls remain eventful. They have a week to go for Once Halloween 2. It’s the grand fan meeting event set on October 20, their debut date.

Finalizing costumes, merchandise, and rehearsals while still going on individual schedules. Dahyun on first pitch for LG. Tzuyu on Coach store opening. Jeongyeon on Jimmy Choo store opening. Not everything is about work as amongst the crowd, there’s Nayeon who made time and cheered for Jeongyeon.

Meanwhile for Jihyo, before anything, she has got to do what she told Kiss the Radio. And she did. She stayed at home, ate homemade food, and even captioned her post with “It’s been a while since I came home.”

Her mom refills the kimchi and other side dishes without a word. Jihyo breaks the silence, “Mashiseo~ Omma, kamsa.”

She may have instilled responsible attitude particularly on her eldest daughter, Jihyo. But even the most disciplined of moms still has a mother’s heart. She doesn’t ask what’s hurting. She just knows that her daughter needs to carry a heavy crown. Mom tells her “Eat well and get strength.”

Jihyo bows head as she eats. Tears trickle as she sniffs. Her mom used to just tell her off when Jihyo’s the one responsible for what’s done. Because she reminds her child that she used to want it so bad, took time to plan on integrating that something in her life, and decided to act on it despite consequences.

This obviously isn’t the case, seeing Jihyo returning home in this manner. The family’s support this time is unlike any other. “We’ll be there on the 20th”, mom places hand on her daughter’s shoulder. Jihyo nods and wipes herself.

Later that evening, Jihyo makes the bed for her youngest sister Seoyeon and hops right in. Hailing the teen to her side, she wouldn’t seize the few moments she could have with her precious people.

“Since when did you grow bigger?” Jihyo hovers palm over Seoyeon’s head, “Time flies so fast! I feel old.”

She sighs as she brushes her unnie’s bangs, “You’re supposed to feel young if not happy when everything’s working out for you.”

“I…” Jihyo can’t find the words.

Her finger hushes the unnie, “I know you must not tell. You would have, a long time ago. Are the other unnies helping you?”

Jihyo in a weak smile lets a sound of affirmation.

“Unnie, you’re a really great unnie. I wanna be like you.”

“Oh~ You wanna sing too?”

“Ani. I wanna be as strong as you!”

Uwuing in this validation, Jihyo pulls her youngest sister to a hug “Does this mean I’m your favorite now?”

Seoyeon speaks up, “Ani. Momo unnie is still the best.” They laugh. Park sisters fall asleep comfortably.

In the morning, Jihyo awakens by her phone ringing. Her sister had already gone to school. She slept so soundly she didn’t notice. She answers the call as soon as she found it. The voice made her jump out.

“1, 2, 3, let’s go…”

“We’ll go to the other stage on this part.”

“Okay okay!”

The Hwajung Gymnasium of Seoul’s Korea University is designed into a colorful and festive carnival. The production lits the girls’ rehearsal late into the evening. Their hearts burn just as bright for the first time in a while. The stage is graced with all the nine.

Running through the final act following the script, the girls step back to the platform descending them offstage. The eight who dearly miss Mina gather to her. Two of them do so with heightened concern.

“You know Once are patient, right? No rushing?” Jihyo has been thinking this. She wants to make sure Mina is not pushing herself for anyone.

“Minari…” Chaeyoung just calls her with the rest of her thoughts kept. In which, Mina knows what is meant.

“I’m definitely nervous”, the most anxious tells them. Mina looks at Chaeyoung putting up a brave smile, “That I’m also excited.”

“My voice is nothing much. Barely heard, that’s the truth! But if gathered with everyone here making eight into nine, the message will be louder.”

She may not be at her healthiest. But this Mina is strong. She too looks at the leader, “I’m here. No more excuses Jihyo-yah.”

A team is only as strong as the weakest.

That said, Twice is truly strong. For having the most wounded lends another part of herself just as much as the other wounded has given. For having to brave her own fight hoping it leads to the other’s victory.