Couple Statement

Best Kept Secret

The non-disclosure agreement for Momo and Heechul’s dating setup has arrived. The girls have signed one by one. Except Nayeon.

“We didn’t have something like this on Jihyo’s issue”, the unnie points out a difference.

“I- uhm… kind of dating. It’s half true”, Jihyo hold hands with Sana. “Just some- details are fabricated. Which, as Sajangnim told us, the agencies had arranged.”

“Details.” Nayeon tosses the paper, “I won’t sign this ‘til I see the draft of the article. If Market News aims to have better credibility than Dispatch, this is their chance to write sensibly.”

Jihyo’s phone rings. “It’s Heechul sunbae-“ She puts on loud speaker, “Yeoboseyo oppa?”

“Ottoke Twice-dul? At this rate, we’ll be reported first thing in 2020~ cause I already have plans. I’m sure you girls too. Seems I have to postpone my comeback now.”

“Mianhaeyo again oppa”, Momo has nothing else to say.

“Mianhaeyo”, same with Nayeon.

“We didn’t know it could escalate this fast.” Jeongyeon shares, “We’re really sorry.”

“Aniya~ I’m more sorry that you’re going through this. We can only do what we think is best. Let me know if you need anything.”

“Well there’s one”, Jihyo urges Nayeon to speak.

“Oppa, is it possible to make the report details- less painful?”

“You know it right, oppa? Dating for years- “, Jihyo reminds Heechul.

“Ah yes. I intend to clean our names too. Let’s just say we met up recently? Which is true anyway. By that, it won’t require comprehensive details.”

“O~ Thank you so much oppa. This is of great help!” Hangs up. With a decade experience, Twice trust on Heechul’s capability.

Even so, the unnie is upset. That time when Jeongyeon and Tzuyu stumbled upon the stalker, Nayeon was happily enjoying a fine dining with Sana and Momo. Red wines were poured. They raised glasses towards happiness.

“Why can’t we be just happy? I’m sorry to Jeongie and Tzuyu too. For having to deal with him face to face.”

“Unnie, it was scary. But at least it’s not you who he met.” Tzuyu hangs unto optimism.

“There will be less chance of encounter for the holidays. Make the year-end stages the happiest then”, Mina gives ‘hwaiting’ spirit as she will be flying back to Japan.

Before leaving, she hands the girls early Christmas gifts. Chaeng expresses the most delight, “Wah! Thank you Minari!”

Mina goes to Sana and Jihyo, “You two began the year as partners. Looking forward to see you end it courageously no matter what the world thinks. I wish for you to begin another year in deeper, happier relationship.”

Sana and Jihyo give Mina a hug.

“Don’t worry Mina-yah. We’re gonna make sure those two ends their year with a bang”, Nayeon says. The girls shoot her a look.

She exclaims, “Omo! I just meant, they’re gonna have a happy new year.”

“Bye.” Mina leaves.

The girls send their farewells. Nayeon waves hand. When Mina closes door, the unnie redeems herself “What? Aren’t you two have plans? Let’s support that. At least we could make progress on Jihyo’s situation. I feel helpless with mine.”

“Well, I thought we have. But it seems Sana ssi has something else?!”

“Thanks Nayeon-ie~ We just need everyone to be really pretty!” Sana laughs nervously. The unnie excuses herself giving time to make up their minds.

The Japanese then creeps in her arms back hugging the leader in tantrums, “Kkungi-yah~ “

Sana calls endearingly as Jihyo is Kkung in Jjakkung, “It’s just dinner. Like how you meet with others too.”

Jihyo, on her own, has been making extra effort in hanging out with friends. Somehow, she’s trying to stir questions among fans about the truthfulness of her private life.

Nonetheless, the leader is frantic knowing Sana would spend Christmas Eve with WJSN Yeonjung. So she snaps back, “Yeah but it’s different! And of all days, a special day?”

The Japanese charms her way, “I’m sorry~ It’s long overdue. Don’t worry. On Christmas Day, I’m all yours. That’s a more special day. And like we’ve planned, we’ll go out and make a statement.”

Of course, they would be together as Twice will be attending the SBS Gayo Daejun. Still, there is truth to her words. So, the leader let it slide. Jihyo can’t entirely hate Sana’s honesty.

In fact, it’s one of the traits that got her addicted. Jealousy may be triggered. But with her partner’s candid reputation, she could rest her worries. Jihyo can always count on Sana—her consistent, dependable person.

December 25th—Twice prepares for the red carpet. Six are dressed as pretty Santas. The other two are donning on reindeer onesies. While in the waiting room, Sana keeps on dropping something that she expresses a little concern.

“Yah it keeps on falling. What to do?”

“Mine too~ Oh, I have an idea”, Jihyo says as she hithers Sana to come up close face to face. Then, boop! Their red round noses collide.

Sana is flushed. She feels like they are kissing. It only seems that way yet somehow, she finds it warmer than the actual.

“Better?” Jihyo stares through the other’s eyes. She’s simply happy being with her partner like this that she smiles radiantly.

“Y-yeah. It doesn’t fall now”, giggles.

A clicking sound surrounds them. “Kyeopta!” Jeongyeon again is capturing their moment. The partners take notice and pose some more for the camera. Best friend Jeong notices something as well.

The eye smiles. The arches on the partners lips. The look of love. The happiness.

She reckons that it’s not her story to tell. So instead of posting the photos on Instagram herself like the prank she pulled before, she sends them to Jihyo.

Sooner, everyone gathers on standby as Twice is up next.

“Ready for trouble?” Jihyo asks.

To which Sana responds “With you, always.”

Partners resort to one hand in keeping the prop nose in place. Meanwhile, the other hand finds and clutches to each other.

The usual display of glamor turns into a carefree yet telling fashion statement this time. Those two who stands at the center aren’t just some reindeers.

The Japanese has a solid brown fur and is wearing an antler headband. The leader is in a white-spotted brown fur with her blonde hair parted and tied-up.

They are bringing life to Robert L. May’s classic creation through a cutesy modern twist. The inspiration from 1939 depicts expression and acceptance of one’s true self.

Sana suits up as Rudolph while Jihyo is Clarice, Rudolph’s girlfriend.

Additionally, in the story, Rudolph is a male. But if it was to be zoologically accurate—unless it is a young reindeer then, Rudolph is actually female.

Nevertheless, choosing any other of Santa Claus’s reindeers won’t cut it. Exactly because they aren’t colleagues. Hand in hand, Jjakkung partners smile for the world to see. That they are the true couple.

I am someone’s girlfriend. Today, in this more special day, I stand beside that person. This is my partner Sana and I am her girlfriend.

December 29th—Twice flies to Japan on Sana’s birthday; also, to prepare for Kohaku Uta Gassen.

Jihyo is pleased scrolling on her phone that she utters “Yah~ The photos came out lovely!” She used to have difficulty choosing as there was a lack of Instagram worthy photos.

Now, she's still having difficulty but due to the abundance of them. Her problems are getting better that she didn’t mind how oblivious the world is of their couple statement. It seems owning her true partner works better.

And since today is Sana’s day, Jihyo puts out another statement:

“Happy birthday to our Sana

Every year on your birthday, there isn’t a day that passes without schedule TT TT I hope you have a warmer birthday as we’re together <3 Let’s eat lots of delicious food later,

I love you”

‘I love you’ in correctly spelled Korean is Saranghae (사랑해). On her Instagram post, Jihyo spells it as “Sharunghae (샤룽해)."

In contrast to the greeting for best friend Jeongyeon, “Sadunghae (사둥해)”, Jihyo uses the Jjakkung exclusive and more endearing way of saying Saranghae. Sha is from Sana’s Cheer Up signature Shashashy and -rung/-ung is Jihyo’s own touch to it.

Along with the exclusive greeting is a photo collection ranging from their Disney Sea date and the recent reindeer coupling. Specifically, the moment they were nose kissing.

Sana later on gratefully receives all the greetings. As for Jihyo’s, the Japanese goes to the leader’s room and asks “What are we eating?”

“I have a few delicious things in mind”, Jihyo says as she hithers Sana once again to come up close. Then, smooch—their lips lock. They are ending the year happily.

Meanwhile, Nayeon receives the draft of the supposed dating article as per her request. No fabricated photos and the words written are less painful.

As much as she wants to be happy for Mina and for Jihyo who had survived the worst of their struggles each, the unnie couldn’t as she’s currently facing hers.

In attempt to unburden her heavy heart, she prepares a Goodbye 2019 letter addressed to Once.

“I’ll give you this”, Nayeon has it too in typewritten text form “so you can translate it. But these days, are the capable Once can translate even from my handwriting?”

The unnie is desperately hoping this time that Once including those all over the world could get THE message. She continues,

“It’s already the 4th year-end with Once. How was Once’s year?

To be honest, I think it’s been a difficult year for me. Compared to other times, I stressed more, made more decisions, felt different kinds of responsibilities, and felt all kinds of emotions.

When I look back steadily now, the biggest emotion left are happiness, comfort, and sense of security.

What our members say about Once the most is: ‘But it’s okay because we have Once’, ‘Because Once like it’, ‘We can do it if it’s for Once’. These types of words?

These sincerely mean we were able to hold on because we have Once. Despite us having moments of difficult and negative thoughts, I realized again how precious to have the members and Once. That’s why I’m really thankful.

Especially recently, I felt that Once are tired on the outside and inside. So, I wanted to give back as much I’ve received. But if we think about it, haven’t we had lots of fun and touching moments?!

Don’t forget these precious moments. Bring them with you so that in 2020, no matter what happens—Do not be shaken and let’s spend it happily!

To be honest, it’s okay if 2020 isn’t filled with great things <3 It will be fun and reassuring just being with members and Once :) 

I wrote down what comes to mind so it’s messy but thank you for reading this unorganized post until the end. Leave the difficult and complex things and let’s meet in a 2020 where happy things can be deeply remembered!”