Jokes Half Meant

Best Kept Secret

ONCE is unquestionably one of the biggest K-Pop fandoms now; and still growing. Very likely to have all sorts of fans including, the gullible and the toxic. A chunk of this combo trends assumptions about things they don’t see.

Case in point, people talk of Jihyo and Daniel even though those two have kept on demonstrating that they basically have nothing with each other.

This time, the fans talk about Jeongyeon’s missing solo focus fancams. In contrast to the dating issues, the companies had no statement regarding this. They’re the ones silent now, huh.

Fans point the blame to the broadcasting channels. They flood them with emails, harsh comments and tweets. With Once being mostly babo of situations, only a few dared to make sense of it.

The thinking bunch, on other hand, make assumptions on things they saw. They took notice of the neck brace Jeong briefly had during Dahyun’s birthday Vlive. Also, ALL the channels didn’t upload Jeong’s fancams.

Most prominently, Sana shared on IG Story the backstage photos with Jeong. She captioned, “Don’t hurt.” They deduce that something is definitely up. This bunch too is apprehensive. But they rather request an explanation.

Although the voice of the sensible are drowned to the loudness of the babo majority, it paid off getting an explanation from the source herself. As it is Jeong’s own truth, she took it to Vlive and explained it frankly before it blows up further:

“Because of the neck I couldn’t practice more before comeback. So, I didn’t want to show the imperfect side of me. After discussing with the companies, I ask them not to take fancams.”

The ones she requested such favor from, have earned emails in return. It must’ve been embarrassing on her part that even though it’s sensitive, she had to bring it up. If only more Once had noticed, Jeong didn’t have to.

Just like if more Once had listened to Nayeon’s warning back then, Momo didn’t have to. If more Once had understood Twice’s message, Jihyo didn’t have to.

Anyway, fans care more about streaming and voting for the charts. They are here to stan. Not comprehend the idols’ situation. Thus, it’s Twice who has to adjust their dialogue with the fans.

But with the girls already being all ‘what you see is what you get’, what other adjustments could there be when fans like assuming on things they don’t see?

Somehow, it’s a charm having some loud babo fans. Because of them, the girls actively seek conversation with the feeling that they can’t rest until the message gets across. And when they are understood, they become generous.

Second week of promotions. Sana posts one in her favorite platform, Twicetagram. A selca while being dolled up.

Interestingly, Sana has added a shushing face emoji. An indication of secrecy, as if an exclusive inside knowledge. It’s not much of a secret when there’s the heart emoji in Jihyo’s color.

Captioned, “I took lots of selca but there are too many I can’t pick. So here’s for now.” Sana also meant literally one quantity of a selca hence, such face emoji that gestures ‘one’. In moderating Jihyo’s obsession, just one for now.

‘Cause last week, Jihyo barely left her. Even in the waiting room, they were together eating the fiery teumsae ramyun along with Nayeon and Momo. To think Jihyo can only take mild level of spicy.

Too fiery, roommate Mina didn’t join them and instead went with Chaeyoung. This baby tiger, by the way, was so happily bouncy that Mina tames her. Visibly, Chaeng is also in a better state now compared to having nightmares in the previous era.

Although Twice won for Feel Special back then, the win now is also better in a sense that Jihyo didn’t shed tears and be consoled by only some of the members.

This time, partner Sana who’s beside Jihyo so closely envelopes her into arms. The Japanese moves closest to the other’s ear and by her own hand, she conceals those cuddly whispers. Jihyo smiles as she listens exclusively.

The Jjakkungs are in their own world again. Sana has been doing things to Jihyo. Like putting hand over head. Whatever those are, the press is taking notice. Naver headlined that one moment with “Twice Sana to Jihyo: Grow taller, grow taller~

Then there’s Maeil News, South Korea’s main daily business newspaper, having a different take than Naver. Their press photos are headlined with: Sana-Jihyo, Oneureun Jjakkung. Meaning “Sana-Jihyo, Today’s Partners”.

At the end of the Show Champion today, they are announced as winner. The leader smoothly delivers speech:

“Thank you for giving us our 1st win for More & More! Thank you Once who always cheer us on even if we can’t meet. Don’t get sick and I hope the day comes quicker where we can see you with a smile. Thank you Once!”

Twice goes on receiving more wins. They have tried attending as many music shows until Tzuyu’s birthday because thereafter, they are scheduled to online fan meetings.

June 14th—By the car window, Jeong flashes her phone with a little message to the fans who have gone too.

[Stay healthy]

[Thank you for 1st place]

[it’s the last music show]

[be well]

[Momo babo]

[Nayeon babo]

Babo (in English counterpart could be ‘fool’ or ‘stupid’) is a recurring word for the girls nowadays. With how some fans trend their names on social media, the babo-ness just rubs on Twice’s vocabulary.

The very next day, these fans are going loud again. This time, they are suspecting SBS Inkigayo staff murmuring disrespect against Twice and that they are caught by the audio record. For further investigation, SBS privatized the clip.

The fans’ doubt grew louder. Later on, SBS uploaded the proof. It’s the encore side by side with the alleged audio. Turns out, the airing of the show’s encore was overlapped with an advertisement. Hence, a faint audio heard while broadcast.

Yet the ad’s audio is merely saying, “complete my intellectual image.” Not one bit a disrespectful comment. Nonetheless, the show’s team leader issues a statement taking full responsibility of the technical situation.

These fans for sure love the girls. Though well-intentioned, the loudness that they package as support can hurt Twice. It isn’t also far off to hurt Jihyo when fans supported the dating she’s setup with.

Supporting isn’t bad per se. But with gullible assumptions behind it, supporting can be misdirected. Yet again, these fans wouldn’t know. Exactly because they are babo.

So when Jihyo is seen wearing the ‘couple watch’, the fans are supporting.

June 20th—the leader took to Twicetagram a thank you message for another music show win. She poses looking proud with arms crossed donning luxury brand items Louis Vuitton and of course, the Cartier.

Fans flock comments of admiration. Upon receiving this support, Jihyo tells herself “So THIS is what’s keeping the fans babo.”

She finally finds out a major link that the fans are making between her and Daniel. The leader snaps the metal band open and tosses it into her drawer full of other luxury watches she possesses.

Jihyo shakes head uttering, “The fans are looking. But they don’t observe what they see. After all these years, they still don’t know me.”

June 21st—the leader posts another thank you message in Twicetagram. This time, it’s a closer shot with elbows at the fanmeet table and palms cupping her face. A posture where her wrist is exposed, flaunted right in the open.

Today, she’s also wearing a watch. But instead of the Cartier, it’s a Gucci. A watch that is seen around May 2019, the Fancy era. This gesture is as if telling that the Cartier is merely an accessory she could change anytime.

For months, the fans really be thinking ‘couple watch’ while Jihyo has been- skinshipping Sana with that Cartier on. The level of babo is unbelievable.

And since ‘babo’ is the reigning vocab amongst the girls, the word is eventually uttered through the leader’s mouth. In the online fan video call, a fan asks Jihyo to teach some Korean words.

Jihyo then teaches the fan this, “ONCE babo.” Yup, she’s thinking it AND she said it. Ah probably it’s a joke. But aren’t jokes half meant?

Like how Sana could also be joking with a fan when she’s asked, “Which member do you want more skinship from?”

“Jihyo”, Sana answers. When asked why, she simply says “Because she’s beside me.” The leader bends to her side and peeks a bit.

When she’s about to go back up, the Japanese waves hand at her calling her back. Jihyo eye smiles as she bends back down. Unfortunately, Jihyo bent too much that Sana only almost planted a kiss to her temple.

But how could Sana be joking when she herself brings up the topic of sincerity? She banters with another fan asking, “What do you think about Female Once asking you for marriage?”

Sana responds, “Are they sincere? Will they have regrets?”

This is just one of the many instances that Sana welcomes conversation about marriage proposals from females. She gets such questions mostly on Vlive. And by acknowledging it, she’s somehow attracting more of it.

About the proposals from males, anyone might ask? Well, there’s one-time Sana doesn’t know the gender of the Vlive commenter. So she threw a question back, “Are you male or female? I’m more curious of that.”

‘Cause when the commenter happens to be a female, Sana would express how cute it is. Even though as days pass and such comment is flooding her, she hasn’t shut it down.

Her chingu Momo is the one who finds it a nuisance. She taunts Sana to go ahead. To which Sana replies with, “But I have to be in Twice.”

Must be Sana’s thing to go out for a bit and then be back to where she belongs to. The same energy when Sana had Christmas Eve date with Yeonjung and had to be in Twice come Christmas day as Jihyo’s reindeer couple.

Just like Sana’s thing, come July 11th—She posts in Twicetagram a selca from THAT online fan meet. Simply captioned, “Day of the fansign.” Along with it a baby emoji, an orange heart, and a purple heart.