Master of the Leash

Best Kept Secret

As soon as the Holiday break is over, the girls have recorded an Idol Room guesting. Jihyo raked in As, won most of the games, and got selected as the 17th member of Idol999. Although these are fun memories, some can't help feeling that something is off.

"Did you guys go easy on me?" Jihyo asks them while getting ready to go back to the dorm.

"Unnie, I'd rather lose so I could eat bread." Tzuyu replies.

"Maj-ja! I won over you in the bug segment though. Clearly did my best. What are you talking about?" Momo wonders.

Nayeon senses it, "Is this about the nitpicking game?"

"Even as a joke, you guys didn't-"

Jihyo smiles faintly, "use it against me. Thanks everyone."

"Like what Donnie and Connie sunbaes said... Can't say anything when there's nothing to nitpick about." Dahyun shares.

"Well, we had childish disses." Jeongyeon chuckles.

"What's done to you is infuriating. It's been giving you more stress. That's not to be joked about." Sana goes to Jihyo and fixes her fringes.

"Geez, just how many years have you felt you've aged because of it?"

Lately, Jihyo lets her bangs down. If only she could hide from embarassment brought about the issue, she would. Unfortunately, she can't. 

With their 8th mini album launching in a few days, she has to attempt to face everyone with her head held high. Having bangs is the most she could do.

"Actually, Nayeon-ie somehow utilized your situation." Chaeyoung points it out.

"And through that, your truth is revealed. 'Recently feeling old hence, the bangs'... That's a good one, Nayeon-ie!"

"Is it okay to do that?" Jihyo hesitates yet again.

"It's exactly what should be done Jihyo unnie", Chaeng states.

"If not for the unnies' puberty fit, I'd think that game intends to fish for info. I get the feeling that it won't stop here. 

With the amount of promotions for this comeback, there's high chance YOU WILL BE questioned about it. 

People want truth? Let's give them that. Just not directly though, like what Nayeon-ie did. "

Not directly. Yeah, because we don't have the power nor freedom to talk. We are bound by instructions. But until where?

Jihyo is uneasy, "I'm sorry. I think I should ask the higher ups." 

"If they tell you to play dead, would you just keep being an idiot and follow them?" Jeongyeon shakes her head and mocks her. "Your job is not to jump hoops for them, you know." 

They are treated as machines one moment and as dolls on the next. It's ironic to pose for an issue that would detriment the main task of making money. It has become herculean now that Mina couldn't join the promotions.

In addition, covering Sana and Jihyo is unnecessary as the pair would just seem as fanservice. In which, it would actually benefit the team more than getting linked at this point. For her, confronting such dissonant company is pointless.

"Unless..." Jeong suddenly realizes something.

"We're a puppy and JYPE is just an older dog we're sharing a leash with. The master-", she her chin.

Who is the master?

Jeongyeon together with Nayeon accompanies Jihyo to the meeting. Meanwhile at the dorm, some of the girls are having brunch to boost a day packed of schedule.

Time constrained, they are still dazed from all the overtimes. With limited public exposure due to on-going treatment and being a morning person that she is, Mina is the only one looking put together.

Not for long, a whimper can be heard from one of the rooms. Dahyun turns to the direction of the sound. Instantaneously, Tzuyu shoots up from her seat along with the J-line.

She says apprehensively, "Chaengie?"

Seeing Mina and Sana have already dashed towards Chaeyoung, Momo pats Tzuyu on the shoulder. She nods at her bringing Tzuyu back to seat. Tzuyu utters, "Nightmares again~ And it's getting worse."

"Chaeng Chaeng, I'm here~" 

Mina picks Chaeng up into a tight embrace, "We're all here now. Not going anywhere" while Sana Chaeng's hair and holds her hand.

3-mix arrives at the dorm. Nayeon catches an already calmed down but still rugged Chaeyoung at the dining. Knowing that look of Chaeng, Nayeon lets out a sigh and kisses the top of Chaeng's head as she passes by her.

"Oh, how's the meeting unnies?" Chaeng follows her along with the rest of the girls. Looking defeated, Jeongyeon and Jihyo drag their feet as they enter.

Mina feels the weight. With the amount of time Mina can make sense of everything, she trails on Jihyo to confront her of what she came up with.

"Jihyo, I've been doing great since~"

"Ah, geurae?" Jihyo puts up a bright smile at Mina as they settle down on the sofa.

"So, you can stop now."

The smile slowly fades. Jihyo stops everything she's doing. 

Mina continues, "Tell them to stop using your 'relationship' to divert attention away from my struggles. I appreciate your sacrifices but, I'm okay now."

"I'd pose for dating issues a thousand times more if it's for anyone of you. And just stop once I've made sure you're okay as what you've told me right now." Jihyo tells her, "If only it's that simple."

Mina is confused. "The timing of the issue. The disproportionate agreement in favor of the guy. And JYPE letting it. If it's not for me then, who? I don't think it's to cover you and Sana. They don't have to."

"Both of the companies' hands are tied, Mina." Nayeon massages her forehead as she joins them.

"And with Daniel being a new solo artist versus us 9 with four years under our belt, they figured giving him most of the favor."

"Tied? By whom?" Momo asks.

"There's a master tying the companies in a leash." Jeongyeon then reveals, "The directives came straight from the Blue House."

"Jeongyeon-ie~ That means the Korean government made a grave mistake that they had to-", Mina couldn't believe it.

"We've been furious of the company and of Daniel. But, doesn't that make them victims too?" Jihyo shares, "Now I don't know what to feel."

"He couldn't say it beforehand, as stated on his letter. So, it must've really been due to Blue House. But does he really have to disregard you? Didn't even ask fans to respect the 'relationship'. It was all about him." Sana contends with Jihyo.

"He was probably so scared to lose fans that he forgot to be considerate of Jihyo unnie. Afterall, you have to save yourself first. Especially when someone is really not your girlfriend." Tzuyu makes a point.

"When you think about it, isn't it better to not mention me? He had given the world a crucial hint that we're really not dating."

Sana bits Jihyo's arm. "AissSHH!!"

"Remember that the world knows differently? And the slander that goes with it? You have to bear all the lies!" Sana grits her teeth as she says this.

Mina sighs, "Until when will Jihyo be tied with him?"

"They said it would take a while", Nayeon answers. "The politics behind this is probably way more scandalous than what Jennie chingu had to cover."

Mina looks at Chaeyoung. She further asks them, "Is the rebellion in vain?"

"Aniya. The bigger the adversary, the more we have to fight back. They did it to Jihyo unnie. They could do it again. I'd like to remain as myself and not how Dispatch would write me. Right, Chaengie?" Dahyun asserts.

Jeongyeon is carefully considering Chaeyoung's well-being, "I would respect whatever is Chaeng's decision."

I'm probably haunted by these nightmares cause we're being used like this. Chaeyoung closes her eyes, "My wish is for everyone to have peace. However, it would require all of you to commit."

Her eyes reopen and find Jihyo. Chaeng is waiting for an answer but Jihyo can't seem to give her any. She's being her indecisive self again.

"I would carry her!" Nayeon raises her hand as she swears on behalf of Jihyo.

"Nado!" The rest of the girls offer up one by one.

"Nine or none." Chaeng smiles, "Proceed as planned."