Fight or Flight

Best Kept Secret

Back when Twice had gone backstage after red carpet, Jihyo excused herself as she felt like throwing up. Sana who had fallen out of line and followed to the washroom was patting the other’s back. Yet, the anxious was heaving nothing.

Sana brought both their hands under flowing water. She then noticed that Jihyo was staring at the SaMo ring. There was a question left hanging. Is the time now still precious?

She then gave an answer “Even now that it’s difficult, time is precious Jihyo-yah. As long as there’s time, we can hold like this. We can love.”

Those beautiful words, I want to keep hearing them. But, I can’t- seem to…

As time had passed every second onwards the show, the overpowering noise was becoming the new present. It’s becoming Jihyo’s reality. The beautiful words were turned into another question.

Can we really… I couldn’t call you Jjakkung out loud. And when I’m mentioned, it’s not your name next to mine. Can we really…?

No answers heard as questions were kept to self. The leader had gone backstage not allowing Sana to follow. Jihyo didn’t want anyone to see, Sana most especially, her most ugly—a silenced out Jihyo who, at the moment, could only produce hums of weeping.

The managers were rattled. If medicines wouldn’t suffice, how else could they help? Manager unnie asked, “You know it’s okay to rest. Shall I inform the others now?”

“No, it’s not gonna be okay. People will ask ‘why’. The noise—it will get louder”, Jihyo covered her ears. She expressed further, “It’s like THAT rumor. People are curiously talking.”

That rumor. The one pertaining to the ually scandalizing case of Jung Joon Young. People talked of Jihyo’s name along with it. It caught fire and the media were so ready to create exclusive scoop. Horrified of the ambush at the airport, Jihyo cried on the way to check-in flight.

“This is worse. Since the public thinks I’m official with him, they’re gonna ask stuff I myself don’t have answers to.”

“Would you like to take a different flight?” The other manager thought of a solution. It’s what has been done with Mina. With Jihyo stressing on the possibility of recreating that horrifying moment, it was a sound suggestion.

Thus, Jihyo made the decision.

After telling Sana what transpired in the backstage, the manager notices she’s becoming blank. “Sana ssi?!” He snaps her out, “Sorry I thought she told y- Are you two okay though?”

Sana forces a smile and nods.

7 of 9 fly back together. At the dorm, Sana clicks the room door slightly ajar and Jihyo is there lying on her side resting. Suddenly, the lurking Japanese is tapped on shoulder making her jolt back. It’s Jeongyeon.

“Mwoyah? Get in there. What are you waiting for?”, she says.

“Uh, maybe she doesn’t wanna be bothered?!”

Jeong rolls eyes then pushes her, “You don’t have to say a thing.”

“No, really. I can wait”, The Japanese flounders wanting to look for a better timing. Yet, she isn’t able to deflect. Sana is pushed in.

Whenever it seems she couldn’t be bothered, she always lets you. Jeongyeon mumbles “Sana-yah, fighting!”

The Japanese immediately scrunches face, holds breath, hushing oneself. Carefully, she goes in to spoon her partner. Jihyo twitches then finds the other’s grasps. Nothing is said but something is conveyed to each other.

It must have been scary, Jihyo-yah. You’ve worked hard and able to deal with it on your own. You’ve done great.

Unlike the ones sent to fans and the public, these messages are easily understood. Jihyo turns and snuggles closer. She tells Sana, “Thank you.”

For letting me do what I think was best. Even if it meant withdrawing away. It’s been scary. Knowing you are there is a calming thought. I found myself thanking you again. For always being with me.

The setup dating taught them a lesson. That any moment could test their composure. Being linked without true responsibilities takes away their control over things. Jihyo was put at the mercy of someone else’s state.

Who would think that Kang Daniel, the K-Pop It Boy who’s supposedly having it all… fame, money, and the girl… Would express sufferings raw and consequently toss Jihyo to the spotlight?

No one knows what else the next days could bring. So for now, Sana and Jihyo hold each other. Each does so ever tightly because the future is uncertain.

Two days after, Twice flies to Japan for Tokyo hi-touch. Jihyo reappears with the rest of the girls at the airport. The wounds of the recent chaos are still fresh.

Yet, she has to risk experiencing a familiar terror in order to return to the customary protocol. To avoid worries as to why she isn’t walking with Twice. And to not attract further attention contributing to the noise. With that, Jihyo endures passing through the loud crowd along flashing cameras.

In the hi-touch event, team effort is still the topmost consciousness amongst the girls. They side glance, look over, checking each other’s backs. The girls see Jihyo carrying on but removed off the glint in her eyes. Again, with that Mona Lisa smile. She is, at the very least, surviving.

When the day passes and struck at almost midnight, Sana takes the initiative to go Vlive and read comments. Seeing the page scroll fast making it difficult to catch broadcast-worthy comments, she stays silent often.

They don’t read cause they’re already popular”, Sana reads a comment aloud. She responds with a serious smile, “I’m trying my best.”

Sana always does her best. But if the comments are bad, she too can’t read it. It seems it IS that bad. Getting sense of the reigning opinion on them, Sana feels the need to be with Jihyo more than ever. Including vocally and physically out in public, if only the latter would allow.

Jihyo being sidetracked of woes, however, hasn’t thought of other methods. In addition, getting Sana in trouble is the last thing she’d consider. Lastly, arriving back to Korea that morning, she’d have to face an urgent concern—her uneasiness in airports.

To help her shut the noise out, Jihyo puts airpods on.

The crowd today is thicker, cramping the entourage. The path is getting narrow that the girls walk one after the other, like in a line. Jihyo is at the front, followed by Chaeyoung, Sana, Dahyun, Tzuyu, Nayeon, Jeongyeon, then Momo.

Noise and flashes. The leader looks down in surrender. She walks fast as if trying to get away soonest. As the crowd thickens, one of the fansites retreats. Unfortunately, bumps into a stool and lands along Jihyo’s path.

Footstep is caught. Jihyo has tripped.

The closest ones following behind witness the fall. They then rush in and save her. Chaeyoung clutches onto Jihyo on the right, Sana takes her partner from the left. With cameras rolling, Jihyo is seen crying on the way to the van.

The familiar terror repeats in another form. Tears of distress in public—it's precisely what Jihyo didn’t want the world to see. Yet still, happens. Another betrayal by a day full of uncertainties.

The only constant in her life—Sana.

As Jihyo cries, Sana pats her shoulder. Upon reaching the van, Chaeyoung lets the two go in. Sana first arranges the seat and assists Jihyo up. Following right after, the Japanese takes the seat next to her partner. While waiting for the others, Sana checks up on Jihyo’s wrists and knees.

“Does anything hurt?”

No words. Jihyo has kept crying instead. Sana then has also kept caressing the other, consoling as best she could.

Best friend Jeongyeon takes it to Instagram later that day. She reminds, “Thank you for coming to the airport! Everyone, be careful not to get hurt.”

JYPE too releases a statement:

“Annyeonghaseyo, JYPE imnida.

Today at Gimpo airport, an accident occurred when an artist fell down due to disorder and excessive photography. Following after immigration screening is officially prohibited.

If violated, banning from public broadcasting and other related activities will be enforced. All are directed to safety. Not only of artists but also, of fans and the general public.

In addition, please refrain from prohibited activities such as following an informal schedule. We are also reviewing legal actions on legally problematic cases. As an agency, we will do our best to ensure artists’ safety.

Thank you.”

Other than Jihyo’s falling incident, the company also addressed a recurring problem.

Stalking. It isn’t new in a celebrity’s life to have sasaeng fans. Lately however, Nayeon has been receiving desperate motivations. Leader Jihyo could only wait for instructions. It’s the top executive who mandates.

There wasn’t much time to meet with Wook Sajangnim. Thus, during standby, Nayeon took the chance when she and Dahyun accompanied PD-nim JYP himself on Knowing Brothers show.

CEO is also trying his best. He’s adding security staff to enforce prohibitions. As of now, there’s no other tactical proposal.” JYP clasped hands and sighed.

Staff were heard advising the resume of recording. Heechul, as one of the casts comfortably acquainted to JYP and Twice, called them in. JYP got the heads up.

An idea suddenly sprung in the mind of the Producer, ”Nayeon ssi… If worse comes to worst, I think you girls might HAVE TO consider an idea.”