Agents of Chaos

Best Kept Secret

“Just focus on work.”

“We’ve already instructed the staff to block questions on that.” Sajangnim told Jihyo.

“If I may ask sir, until when…” Nayeon hoped for it to end. She had seen this endeavor bring chronic nightmares and other symptoms of stress to the team.

Sajang removed his glasses, “For a while. Maybe, indefinitely.”

“Indefinitely?” 3-mix faced among themselves. Nayeon pegged the issue from Jennie’s that lasted for a month. So, she assumed Jihyo’s to last until Mina returns in which, treatments usually go for 6 months. The girls completely understand this. But for the dating issue to be valid longer than that was beyond them.

“I-is this some kind of a matchmaking thing?” Nayeon mumbled awkwardly.

The boss got up his chair and looked far out the window. “Other than diverting attention away from Mina, this issue has covered many things. Things that are ambiguous and unimaginable”, he then faced the girls.

“For one, Jihyo… until when will you fancy her?”

Jihyo couldn’t look straight. She was also speechless. Jeongyeon coughed as she butted in, “Sajangnim~ Sorry but when you think about it, they can be excused as fanservice. Why is there a need?”

“Because there are even more unimaginable things out there!” He slumped back to his seat. “It’s the Blue House. We can’t say no to those whose mistakes could probably cost war.”

Started blurting out with exasperation, “They needed something big pronto. Granted that among you, Jihyo ssi as the leader will take one for the team. On our end, we were planning the setup then.”

“But Dispatch already have something.” He covered his face.

“It wasn’t in my plan, Sajangnim. You know I even wished to extend the ban. But I didn’t realize it either. That I have depended so much to the point of liking her.” Jihyo spoke up with eyes on the floor.

He sighed “With all due respect Jihyo ssi, you do realize how more shameful this could be. Thus, instead of releasing your story as it is, we begged to switch it up with an agreeable guy. That’s the most we could do.”

“Pardon sir. Your guy posted a personal note without acknowledging the ‘relationship’ in any way nor even ask for RESPECT.” Nayeon voiced out.

“Mworago?”

“Shame, leaving Jihyo to bear all these. Good thing, she has 8 others with her.” Nayeon with an intense look took a step and grasped Jihyo and Jeongyeon on either of her hands.

“Focus on work, you say Sajangnim? Goes both ways. Time to protect us from thousands more of DISRESPECTFUL comments than what we’ve already been receiving.”

When Sana was hurt, Nayeon-ie stuck to her. While Mina recovers, she calls her. Now, it’s me who’s burdened. I’m crippled and wavering. Yet again, here’s our unnie willing to carry me like this.

“One more thing, Sajangnim… Isn’t it unfair for Jihyo that she couldn’t write notes like that? Make it right, sir. By bringing us more opportunities to message our Once.” Nayeon asserted.

With eyes closed, Jihyo concentrates on her breathing. Carefully, she tries to tilt and turn her head side to side. These are futile as she grunts with every move. Her hand clasps her nape. All the stress has built up into a stiff neck.

A warm set of hands makes its way to Jihyo’s shoulders. “Even if you’re in meds, don’t overdo it.” Sana pecks her partner’s neck and gently massages it.

“I’d rather perform. Especially since, this is the first. Besides, I don’t know what else to do, Sana-yah.” There’s a lot going through Jihyo’s mind right now. Most importantly, today is the showcase for the Feel Special album.

Before Twice meets Once more closely in the Vlive showcase, the girls had to keep cool in front of the prying media in the press conference. As expected, someone didn’t miss the chance to raise the question.

“This is your first comeback since officially announced being in a relationship. Is Kang Daniel a good inspiration for writing songs?” Fortunately, the company fulfills its end of the bargain. The staff had cut this off effectively, as instructed.

In that moment, Jihyo need not to speak. However, in the showcase where she needs to as she’s the MC, Jihyo is often tongue-tied.

“Since I started it, I’ll talk first. Uhm~” I’ve always shared myself enthusiastically. But with the issue in mind, what do I say? Expressing my truth, is it really okay?

“It’s okay, Jihyo.” Jeongyeon reassures her.

“Yeah, what did you do?” Nayeon keeps her on track.

“Jihyo unnie is frozen... Lately.” Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon finish the sentence revealing one of Jihyo’s truths. They are breaking her hesitation.

Slowly, Jihyo starts to open up “Ah yes, I’m hurting.” Nayeon’s hand slinks on her neck.

This is the proper ground in discussing song inspirations to the intended audience, Once. If their lips are sealed in the press con, here in the showcase they spill it.

“If you have a beloved, you can tell white lies. Say if asked whether I’m okay, I’d say I’m fine. Cause if I say I’m hurt, that person will be sad. So~”, a smirking Dahyun sends a knowing look to the crowd before continuing.

“It can be a message to Once.”

Jeongyeon suddenly gets into character, “Are you okay?”

“I’m really hurting”, Jihyo then laughs out.

“She doesn’t care about me.” Jeongyeon shakes head while grinning. Momo points at Jihyo who’s getting braver as they proceed.

Should the nosy reporter still be around, his intrusive question would be answered next. It’s Jihyo’s turn to discuss the lyrics she contributed to the song, Get Loud.

“Well…” Jihyo starts off. But she pauses as she chuckles whenever Nayeon faces her looking amused.

“The agency gave it. I’ve never written lyrics for such a powerful song. I didn’t know what to do. At first, it gave me some anger. I pretended to be angry and tried writing.” Jihyo is going in circles. The others crack up hearing these.

Nayeon isn’t satisfied. With her arm out, she nudges Jihyo for the truth and nothing but the truth. “Let me be clear. Did you write it when you were angry?”

Jihyo pauses yet again. Then she reveals, “Yes.”

Nayeon leans back in surprise as she succeeds pulling a barb of burden out of Jihyo. “Alright. Everyone has their own interpretation.” She finally calms down and let the lyricist expound.

“Looking around, many people talk without consideration. It’s infuriating. So, I want to express such anger through the song.”

The showcase approaches its end. Twice sends Once their ending messages after the breathtaking performance of their title track, Feel Special.

The song itself is challenging with a choreography so tough, they have felt worried. Despite that, the girls are happy expressing such a personally meaningful song.

“It’s a bit sad that there aren’t 9 of us here. But we always think that Mina unnie is with us. We get up on stage thinking that she’s with us”, Dahyun shares.

“Whenever we release an album, we look forward to rankings and other people’s reactions. But this song is for us and Once. We want it to encourage us. Even those who are not necessarily our fans could find strength and feel peace.” Jihyo expresses.

Dahyun adds, “The more I think about the lyrics, the more it seems written for Once. I smile again because of you…

“The song is about what we want to say to Once and our members.” Jihyo completes the thought.

Nayeon ends with, “We want to create memories with this song. Let’s keep it for a long time.”

This marks the official start of our promotions. Jihyo-yah, it may feel like there’s still long way to go as what's given to you is heavy. But like what I’ve sworn to Chaeyoung together with the rest of the girls, we will carry you… If this is what it takes to have peace.

“You did well. Seems you’ve figured out what to do”, Sana tells Jihyo.

Dahyun sneaks in between them. “Uhm unnies, let’s commemorate this moment first.”

Congratulatory cake set on the side. A photo is captured.