Switched Hearts

Best Kept Secret

Fate brings more opportunities to fulfill goals. But it doesn’t hand them in a silver platter. The girls have been looking forward for two incoming occasions: The Dome and Seoul Finale.

But by the time Twice got back to Korea, a viral crisis is spreading fast. The Corona cases jumped tenfold forcing restrictions in the international borders. Shizuoka became the last leg of Twicelights tour.

It’s only a month into the Year of the Rat. Yet, their goals are slipping through their fingers. As it seems, fate is testing the girls of how badly they want them.

The changes happening are drastic. Tzuyu, who raced back to her hometown in Taiwan, was first announced donating to both the Chinese and Korean treasuries fighting the pandemic.

Dahyun and Nayeon followed shortly donating in the Korean fund. These were personal decisions.

“Should I or should I not?” Jihyo is assessing.

Sana can sense there’s something holding her back. Considerably, Jihyo had already done so much for Korea covering the government’s unimaginable mistakes even when the public isn’t always nice to her.

Other than that, Jihyo has familial piety. The leader has taken up the financial obligation towards her sibling’s education. And with the sudden stop of gigs limiting the streams of income, saving up would rather be the priority.

“Don’t push yourself Jihyo-yah. We can do other ways to help”, Sana says as she has also evaluated. Jihyo listens carefully.

Afterall, Sana empathizes with her the most. The Japanese may not have any siblings but, that’s exactly what makes it difficult. She has no one else to rely on in giving back to parents and grandma while having her own life to build.

“Okay, what do you have in mind?”

“Uhm~ We could keep reminding everyone about precautions. Wear mask. Hand washing. Take care of oneself by eating healthy and exercising”, Sana enumerates.

The leader had already done this in her February 25th Instagram post with MiChaeng. But, are reminders in captions alone enough? Action-wise, Twice has added face masks into their airport fashion.

Well, there’s this crucial precaution Sana hasn’t mentioned yet. One that Jihyo hopes her partner wouldn’t suggest. Because then, the leader would have to choose between their goals.

Health or Happiness? For someone responsible, the choice is obvious.

Sana intentionally skipped IT. She wouldn’t even consider. But discussing with Momo and Nayeon after their recent audio Vlive, Sana recognizes the implication of the pandemic.

Nayeon asserts her unnie-ness, “You’ll have to choose health for now Sana-yah. A must sacrifice to achieve happiness later on. Jihyo wouldn’t say it but she will try to do what’s best for both of you. Don’t make it more difficult for her.”

“Ah good luck my chingu”, Momo mocks Sana.

Sana lifts her buried face from the table. “Can’t help it. I wanna be next to her. Ugh give me at least some time to adjust”, she slumps again.

In the ‘Fashion Club Room’, the first Vlive with Mina’s presence, the Jjakkungs are coughing and sniffing. With this in mind, Jihyo has been keeping hands to her own front pocket; carefully not touching Sana.

The Japanese, however, is such a tease to the leader’s urge. When Jihyo reaches for a cup, Sana is there to pour a drink. When Jihyo is shivering, Sana warms her by snuggling in with head resting on shoulder. When Jihyo sulks on the jokes, Sana goes in for a hug reassuring her.

Partners just can’t help being attentive to each other.

“Go ahead”, Sana even gives way for Jihyo to take a sip on the dalgona coffee Momo has been whisking.

“No, you first.” This is the hardest Jihyo could try.

She couldn’t push Sana right away nor pull herself out. Jihyo tries by being mindful of Sana’s health; intending to check on Sana but, without worsening her partner’s colds and infecting her of coughs.

Ironically by doing that, Jihyo is the one exposed to Sana and likely catch more of the colds. The leader is selfless, forgetting herself like that. So much for sharing fluids.

Honestly though, the leader couldn’t be blamed to do only the bare minimum. The past weeks were heavenly; getting used to grazing on the Japanese’s skin and waking up next to a beauty. She too needs time to adjust.

Sana clears throat attempting to confront the topic.

Oh no, am I infecting her more? Jihyo is sensing. As she’s on it too, the leader picks up the convo “So~ We’re in this cycle of cough and colds… Been thinking if we’re to consider- for the time being… that uhm…”

“Distancing? Y-yeah”, Sana sounds lukewarm.

The Japanese wouldn’t enjoy their little public service announcements. What is even the point? The public doesn’t recognize the intimacy between them. No one would notice when the partners put distance.

Regardless, this isn’t about contributing to better the global situation anymore. Health is personal. Sana too wouldn’t want to make Jihyo sound bad in the upcoming song recordings.

For the sake of each other, Sana and Jihyo agree on a systematic approach. Jihyo goes back to family home. The only way to know about each other’s whereabouts is through Twice social media notifs.

For now, they have to rely on Instagram to see how the other is doing. Sana smiles on a reminiscence when she asked Jihyo, “Did you see it? I posted something.

Tonight, on the 9th of March, it’s Jihyo who posts on Insta. A clip with hearts filter in Sana’s official color raining down on Jihyo’s super close-up ‘toothache’ pose.

And although the caption indicates addressing Once along with the question “How are you?” and rambles on about the app filter, Jihyo used a purple heart and a smiley to complete it.  

Nine days after, Sana also posts a clip. Of her simply tilting head with a caption saying “Are you well?” with a strawberry and flower. She too concludes it with a heart emoji in Jihyo’s color.

Just the next day, Jihyo posts a clip again. This time, she’s cutely projecting on camera with a teddy bear filter on. The caption has no words, just emojis. Purple heart, teddy bear, purple heart.

They have met up anyway shooting a reality show that would later be broadcasted as Time to Twice. A program where the girls could play and have fun.

In the show before the girls form into teams of three, Jihyo asks the captains “Anyone you don’t wanna be teams with?”

“It’s you Jihyo ssi yah”, Sana laughs while Jihyo humorously wails.

Meanwhile Nayeon, one of the other team captains, answers “For me, it’s Momo. Why are you dressed nicely for sports?”

“I wore short sleeves inside!” She shows it off.

Later while standing by on a break, Jihyo pouts on Sana “Yah~ You didn’t have to rub it further. It . Why are we doing this again?”

“Yeah we’re crazy for doing this. Blame Corona”, Sana frowns.

That look is making Jihyo weak. She’s regretting “Sorry, never mind. It’s me who asked the question, I’ve set myself up. Please smile.”

Before the shoot resumes, Sana utters “Bogoshipda.”

Jihyo respires, “Could we at least allow ourselves a dinner?”

The shoot is done. Nayeon later goes on Vlive with Momo and a bit of Sana contacting and reserving restaurant seats. She’s taking time, however; Sana has gone ahead.

The unnie seems to be in a good mood that she withdrew the restraining order against Josh the stalker yesterday. Just the order, not the criminal charges. IF he returns to Korea, the immigration authorities will contact the police and arrest him right from the airport.

With this, Nayeon has one less worry to think about. As of now, she focuses on helping Momo leave traces of where she goes, how she spends time, and that it’s not with Heechul.

After a Live where the unnie mentors the dongsaeng on Korean proficiency, Nayeon discusses trips and activities they could do for the next days. “We’ve done painting lessons. Should we try hiking?”

“Anything with unnie is okay.”

“Anything?! What if I tell you to get a dog?”

Momo with eyes widened smiles ear to ear.