Reviving Tradition

Best Kept Secret

“No, people! Why would she?!” Nayeon exclaims as she reads through social media. “Ugh, they think you cried cause your ‘relationship’ got exposed. And why is Daniel’s home mentioned?”

“To think I’ve already addressed it in the interview yesterday”, Jihyo pouts. “Honestly, how do you say something without directly saying it? Would be better if they just take my speech as it is.”

After Twice won on M Countdown, Nayeon, Momo, Sana, and Chaeyoung, headed back to the dorm in hopes of seeing Mina before her flight to Japan. Jeongyeon, Jihyo, Dahyun, and Tzuyu guested on Kiss the Radio. The unusual incident was brought up as to why the leader cried in the recent music show.

“She was touched”, Tzuyu answered lightning fast for her unnie.

“I have a lot of tears to begin with.” Jihyo went on to reiterate her speech and then some, “I was sad thinking just how much Once would be hurt over us promoting incompletely. Everyone had a lot of heartache.”

Yes, I was touched. I’ve waited long. Met these girls who’ve come from different places. The girls who’ve known the cost of this dream. Who’ve given up so much like there’s no other way. We’re eager to a fault. No one would let it slip that we’re driven to exhaustion.

I am the leader. The one who’s supposed to be responsible. Didn’t expect I’d do it by taking the hit for the company. For the Home I thought I’ve done enough for. It’s a heavy and painful responsibility that made me think of my worth. To be loved regardless of truth, I was touched.

Twice answered a couple more queries. The DJ asked, “What are you planning to do if you’re given a break?”

Tzuyu: “Travel in Europe for a month.”

Dahyun: “I’m a homebody. I just wanna stay home.”

Jeongyeon: “I wanna meet people I’m thankful for that I wasn’t able to meet easily due to schedule.”

If Jihyo were to be her old extroverted self, she would contrast Dahyun. She said however, “I just wanna stay at home. I wanna eat homemade food.”

These four were supposed to go back to the dorm after some time. However, they stayed until the end of the program that’s late into the evening.

Nayeon rolls eyes, “Did it not occur to them you meant YOUR family home ‘cause you badly need a retreat from all these bull?!”

“Had their assumptions been based entirely on us, they’d at least get half of it right. Heck, Jeong couldn’t even meet her people. And you’re staying out late like you have no boyfriend to call!”

“Unintended feedback”, Jeongyeon shrugs. “Not blaming Jihyo though for crying on national tv as it is frustrating to feel wronged.”

“So, shall we do magazines more instead? Questions there are the simplest. Contrast those to answers that spill our guts out, like Chaeng on GQ. Perhaps we could trigger better responses and make them think ‘are they really dating’. My dongsaeng, what do you say?”

“Uh~ We could be at fault. Our linguistic skills are lacking. That’s why they keep getting it wrong. On the bright side, it means they are thinking. Just stay true to self, regardless of the platform. Besides, it's actions that do speak louder.” Chaeyoung evaluates.

“Which brings me back to you. YOU have something for us. Yeorobun, you’re gonna love it! Go ahead, Hyung. Excuse me for a bit.”

“Okay, everyone… Remember what Chaeng told us in Kuala Lumpur?”, Jeong spills her thoughts. Meanwhile, Chaeng makes a call.

“Yeoboseyo?” Chaeng smiles. “How you doin’, Minaring?”

“Chaeng Chaeng, I miss you~ What’s everyone doing? Is Jihyo okay now?”

The dongsaeng looks to her hyung, “Everyone’s listening to Jeongyeon-ie right now. Just a bit of a communication problem with the public. Which is expected.”

Chaeng eases back, “I mean… We’re going against JYPE stance. Getting our message across incites dissonance at best. World’s such a er for fairy tales they’d rather believe the dating blah.”

“Sounds like it’s gonna be forever marked on her history. I’m sorry. Keep me as an excuse. That’s the least I could do.”

“Minari…”

“Hmm?”

“Unnie’s speech is true. We’re broken without you. Eight will never be nine, you know.”

“I know. And I also know, we can only state half the truth.” Chaeng exhales in dejection. Mina continues, “As you’ve said, we are nine. So, allow me to fight even just like this with you.”

“Chaengie, we’re going in a few. Is that Mina-yah?” Nayeon sprouts beside Chaeng.

Chaeng does the Feel Special smile, except it’s Nayeon in front of her. The unnie snatches the phone and turns it to loud speaker, “Mina-yah! Jeongyeon-ie got an idea for later. Bet you’d love it too! Will do it in case we win again today!”

“Ah… Yes, please go get that win! As for me, I’m gonna win here too.”

The rest of the girls leave their greetings. Chaeng offs the speaker and ends with, “You’re right. Just don’t want you to think it’s your fault. None of these are ours.”

Chaeng gets a heads up. “We’re going! Miss you more, Minari. See you.”

Twice proceed to perform at the Music Bank Special for Gangneung Coffee Festival. The girls receive their 3rd win making them act on Jeongyeon’s victory stunt idea.

Feel Special has reprised. Each of the girls sings their part as some searches for the crucial prop. Momo then gets hold of something—red lipsticks. She passes one to those adjacent to her.

“Geureol ttaemada naege eolmana naega sojunghaji

Malhaejuneun neoye geu hanmadie

Everything’s alright chorahan nobody-eseo

Dashi somebody teukbyeolhan naro byeonhae”

[Whenever those days come, you tell me how precious I am

All those words you say. Everything’s alright.

From nobody to somebody, I become a very special me]

Jihyo has been searching when the dangerous Japanese walks by and calls her. Sana paints the leader’s lips red. As soon as she’s done, Jihyo on tiptoes reaches her way to the other’s plump cheek and marked her. The shock made Sana recoil in timidity and miss her chorus.

KISS FEST. A flamboyant idea coming from a tsundere. The Yoo Jeongyeon is grabbing the world by the throat and shoving truth to it. Nayeon steps back as she bumps into the lady in purpose.

Jeongyeon, instead of puckering with her teeth, simply offers her cheek to the unnie. Nayeon smacks it with her lips the way she prefers it. Nice and soft. The lady not only didn’t flop this time, she has also revived the tradition.

The NoJams face each other. With arms out, Hyung steadies her dongsaeng and plants a kiss on the forehead. With her dimples out, Chaeyoung receives it graciously and proceeds towards Nayeon who would ensnare Jihyo next.

The leader flaps at the edge of the stage when the unnie grabs her. Not for long, Dahyun spots her. As much as Jihyo has tried to dodge, these notorious kisses from definite sources lands on either of her cheeks.

The night was filled with smooches until the song ended. The girls had never been contented. The good vibes radiate in the fan meet the next day.

Jihyo takes selca. Dahyun joins her and Sana squeezes in hugging from her side. Jihyo wraps an arm around Sana. Clicks. Poses. In the final shot, Sana turns to her partner and pecks her cheek. With mic on hand, Sana suddenly feels like sharing something.

“Ah! I have something to say… I’m the only one who got a kiss from Jihyo.” Sana tells the crowd. Jihyo looks to her and nods with a smile.

“As expected of my partner”, Sana giggles. She lowers her body and envelopes Jihyo into another hug. The leader embraces back patting the other’s waist.

When they tug away, Jihyo asks “How did you know?”

“Once uploaded who kissed who yesterday.”

“Woah really!” Jihyo beams in awe.

It meant the world for Twice when Once can point out these things. That’s when they know they have people directly watching over them. People who are looking at the right sources. The ones who seek and witness their truth. And possibly hopefully, would get them.