Twice SOS Once

Best Kept Secret

One Dahyun apart. Jihyo feels Sana’s distance. She sees her girl hugging another as soon as they set foot on the airport. Sana used to do it to her no matter how often they’ve already seen each other.

One Chaeyoung further. Sana draws the line between her and Jihyo. Learning that she too is at fault, she figured she has to perform beyond the master plan. And so, she does her best to keep distance.

“Chaengie, how’s it going? Did you get the attention you were aiming for with your neck tatt?” Sana notices that Chaeyoung got more tattoos, “are those part of the plan too?”

“I think I did.” Chaeng on sleeveless top lifts her left arm a bit, “I’ve added some just to make sure. Will find out how it turns out when we get back. Let’s take this chance first.”

Twice touches down in Kuala Lumpur. They head straight to the rehearsals for the final stop of Twicelights World Tour. Jeongyeon approaches Jihyo whom she catches frequently zoning out. “Hey yah, done with your ending message?”

“You know, I have so much to say. Not just to Malaysia.” Jihyo utters while staring at a monitor beside the stage, “But I can’t say anything other than sorry. For last year. For missing Mina. As well as for the dating issue, i-if I could.”

“In a way, the rest of us can. Leave it to us”, Jeong relieves her. “None of those are your fault. Don’t take these all on you.”

“Dating is my fault.”

“Only if with Kang Daniel was true.”

“Huh?! What’s the difference with Sana?”

“You idiots were clueless!” Jeong knocks Jihyo, “just realizing now that it’s become an issue”. To which Jihyo exclaims, “Oww!” scratching her head.

“If Daniel’s was true, would we go off with this energy?” Jeong then prompts her, “Chaeng said School Meal Club won’t hold back. Nayeon-ie is furious. She’d be intense tomorrow. Momo, nervous. Sana~” tilts her head “terrifying?”

You mean dangerous? She been like that. Unnie, help! “Will the world understand what we really want to say?” Jihyo is hesitant.

“That we’ll have to try.” Jeong tells her. “The world responds to sincerity. I believe it will sense our position.”

D-Day. Chaeyoung poses a question to the girls before stepping into the platform. “We are held captive by politics, society, the company. They instruct us to keep performing as usual. What would you say to alarm Once without JYPE noticing?” She then gestures, “send SOS.”

When Malaysian Once shared their journey through the fan VCR segment, the girls in turn reveal their earnest plea.

“I wasn’t okay. Were you okay?” Sana sneers. Plain transparency. Her delivery is charmingly ruthless. Brave of her to just be straightforward of her disgust.

Upon finishing her speech, she hyper focuses on her sleeves successfully avoiding Jihyo’s glances. She leaves her spot only whenever Dahyun is about to lose it. She comforts her.

“I cannot cry and smile at the same time.” Dahyun is choking up but she has to continue. Good thing, Sana is backing her. Just when we’re about to get Mina unnie back, higher ups cause extra concern. They are unbelievable, I could just cry-laugh right now.

“We could not perform then. It probably made you upset. Finally, we have today.” Momo does not feel so good. Her nerves rock her core. We’ve already upset you. And we’re making up for it. But the company is… ! S-sorry, my tummy. Excuse myself.

“Last year, I gave you my word and it has come true. I would like to make another word today.” Nayeon in a tone contrasting her MGMA speech. I honor my word. I speak only of truth. Believe me! Not on something written overnight.

“We still lack a lot. We will try our best to be better. So, you guys cannot leave us.” Tzuyu never had to beg. But she willingly does so cause she’s afraid Once wouldn’t believe in them anymore. Please don’t leave us over a lie!

Twice serenades with the last song of the night, Stuck. Jihyo plays with the fog spreading all over the stage. She then looks at Sana beside her as if pulling her in. Unfortunately, Sana wouldn’t bother.

“Nugul bwado mweo geunyang geuraesseonneunde

Neon mweonga jom dolla

Nae modeun geol da meomchweobeorige hae neon”

[Whoever I saw, I didn’t feel much

But you’re different

You make all of me stop]

The end is near. One by one, the girls go up the prism. Jihyo reaches first. Sana is behind her. The last three Nayeon, Jeongyeon, and Chaeyoung sit beside each other instead of standing.

The rest of the girls take interest and start ditching their spots to join NaJeongChaeng. Jihyo eagerly closes the gap with her favorite person. She has made it! She’s in between Sana and Dahyun with Sana being seated last.

“I love you everyone”, Jeongyeon yells while the girls wrap their arms to the ones next to them. Nayeon and Momo are playfully miming as if Mina’s there. Jihyo seizes the moment making her sway in so much joy.

The curtain has closed. You’re not going anywhere. You’re mine now.

Jihyo with an arm already around Sana, throws in the other enclosing her in embrace. Sana cannot avoid Jihyo any longer. Ultimately, she gives in.

“This is nice. It doesn’t feel like we’re hiding”, Sana delights on the applause heard across them.

“Then stay.” Jihyo squeezes in more tightly. Eyes shut, cheeks rubbing, they stay like this for a while. “I hate that I have to wait for the curtains before I could do this”, she sighs.

The girls interrupt them by a group hug. “Yaaah~ We’re squished. Do it more”, Sana cutely whines making everyone giggle as they pull away.

“Everyone did well! I’d say tonight is mission accomplished.” Chaeyoung declares. “We’ve opened up to global Once. The next one is tricky. We may have to try for as long as we could and in many ways.”

“What are we facing?” Jihyo anticipates.

“Home.”