Jihyo's Sun Sets

Best Kept Secret

In a gym, Jihyo is a resident goer spending 4 hours of training to maintain godly live performances. This time, she’s seeking refuge. With every step on the treadmill, she is drowned on her thoughts.

Look after me from afar? Then, that kiss. T-that’s not a goodbye kiss. This is confusing than it already is!

Jihyo shuts her eyes in surrender, “Ugh, just… what are you up to?”

“That’s your man’s song.”

“kApchAGE~” She almost tripped when Sana suddenly appears.

“Seems really inspired by you“, Sana mocks. “Keep thinking about him, he might just drive to you this time.”

It’s not him I’m thinking about, Sana. “I’m not the only busy girl out there. Also, I have nothing to say to him. To you, have lots.” Jihyo slows down and off the treadmill.

Sana offers her a bottle of water, “me too. It’s a date then?”

Jihyo accepts.

They settle down in Soul Cup café with iced drinks and some snacks. Jihyo delivers Sana’s share. Sana, on the other hand, pierces the straws into their drinks. Both sip on theirs. Their eyes meet.

Jihyo asked for this moment to make peace with the imagery that got her on a loop. But catching Sana catch her in similar position doesn’t help. The loop is inviting. She backs off as an attempt to stop herself and gulps.

“Not now, Jihyo. People are watching.” Sana mouths it while shaking her head.

Omo, this girl. SHE KNOWS. A serious Sana is scary. She is dangerous. Dangerous Sana doesn’t miss a thing. She knows what every flinch means, what every silence says.

Jihyo got nothing to hide. She could only look around to check onlookers as she ventriloquizes, “Wha- No! T-there’s nothing to see” then emphasizes to her, “TAKE RESPONSIBILITY” while pointing at her lips.

“I am.” Sana assures.

Girl, how exactly are you doing that? By weird wet kisses at random? Jihyo drops her eyes then back to Sana. She scours the table of their belongings and leads Sana out with her.

“Should have done this from the beginning.” Sana tells Jihyo as she’s taken to the van. The pair continues to banter. “You said it’s a date. Hence, a café.”

“We’re not new to each other. And we have something to spill!” Door slides. They get in. Closes. “Now, talk.”

“What are we, Sana ssi?” Jihyo asks intently.

Sana raises her fingers one by one, “I like you. You like me. I claimed you early this year. You’re even proud about it. In short, we-” slowly recalls “the Dating article”.

Particularly, “It was January 17th when you became Sana’s Jihyo… Jeongyeon is the unnie who drove when we visit their nice place once a week… You recycle soju bottles the morning after…”

To avoid me because you keep asking me of something really embarrassing when you’re drunk. Something I prefer granting when you are conscious and sober.

Sana then realizes, “We’re the ones dating.”

Just like what Mitang said to me Jihyo-yah. “It’s us. The issue, i-it’s to keep us.”

I have no words. Sana and I are very much in the moment that we didn’t know ‘us’. We didn’t care what we are. Well, it didn’t matter as long as we’re happy.

God knows I’ve been asking for someone dependable and it’s her who’s always beside me. I myself didn’t notice that that someone is in the shape of Sana.

Jihyo reaches for Sana’s arm and gently it with her thumb, “we failed to acknowledge ‘us’. What more the others? The company’s doing means it maybe best to keep us secret.”

“So, we really can’t play like we used to huh.” Sana holds her. Jihyo is sulking. “Alright then.”

This would become another loop for Jihyo. But this time, it’s rather painful than an inviting one. She grits her teeth at the thought of it. With that, she has to endure a supposed stunning Estee Lauder evening.

How will I be able to smile?

“I think I’m gonna throw up”, Jihyo says. It’s her first appearance after the issue was released. The recovery time leading up to this wasn’t good to her.

“Here, I’m offering my hands this time.” Nayeon is returning the favor to Jihyo who was ready to catch her vomit back in the day.

“Unnie, I’ll ask the stylist to make me look really pretty. Me and my bangs will try to get the attention away from you”, Tzuyu offers.

“Thanks, Nayeon-ie and Tzuyu-ah. But I’ll still try my best. How’s this for a smile?” She shows them.

That evening, the world barely witnessed Jihyo’s perfect teeth. Lips were sealed like Mona Lisa. Is she truly smiling? Or is she frowning?

Nonetheless, this is Jihyo who’s known for bright smiles. Out of all her smiles thus far, this was rid of radiance. She needs her sun. But since then, Sana can only be seen from afar.