MO Letters to Once

Best Kept Secret

“Leave it. Jihyo already talked to Once.”

“Eh? But it’s my name on the news. Wouldn’t it be more… proper if it’s me?” Momo is restless. She pulls up crayons and starts sketching petals, stars, butterfly, and candy bong.

Jeongyeon tilts head for a sec, grits teeth hissing. Puzzled as to how the cute drawings would help. So, she asks “Thought you wanna write? Uhh… What are those?”

“Igeo? O… Sincerity.”

Momo maybe known as Twice’s dancing machine through the mature movements she does; and consequently, be seen as mature. Someone who would be intentioned to come out of dating despite societal consequences.

But when she expresses her thoughts, she isn’t there yet. Onces know this. That is IF, like what Nayeon has said, Once didn’t forget the precious memories.

November 14th of 2019—MoJiChaeng just got off work from a photoshoot and Momo turned to Vlive. While the exhausted Chaeng had napped, the puberty twins were bantering.

Momo and Jihyo responded to Once’s comment that said, “When did they grow up and be so mature?

They think we’re grown-ups.”

No, we’re still young. I want to stay young.” Jihyo who had been feeling old stressing over the given burden, opposed by desiring youth.

Me too. I’m like 14 years old in my heart.” Momo, on the other hand, would rather identify her emotional age.

Not to be confused with 14 year olds who are so eager to grow up and flirt around. Quite the opposite. She’s 24 who enjoys the simplicity of 14 through music, dance, and eating delicious food.

As of the dating news, Momo could now relate to the feelings of Jihyo becoming old. She too has stressed since that she couldn’t talk much with the camera; enduring, nonetheless.

At the backstage of Golden Disk day 1, Sana even tried to help. She held the camera and talked up to her tensed chingu. “Momo ssi without bangs today?

Yes, straight hair without bangs.” Faint response while constantly scratching and sweeping head.

Hmm. How did you come up with it?

There’s pre-recording yesterday and had bangs. So, I decided not today. It’s the first time today.

First time? Congratulations~

Tension was lessening that Momo softly clapped hands. Sana then asked, “How old are you this year, Momo ssi?

Twenty.”

The stresses have aged her 6 years. Momo had seen unsightly fan behavior. As they based off from Jihyo’s news that had fair supporters, Twice didn’t see the violence coming.

Now add to that the hostile words which for the girls, are hundred times more painful. So painful, they’re driven to try all sorts of communication and rid the barrier with Once.

Verbal, non-verbal. Artistic expressions and crafts alike. No matter what it takes. Hence, the drawings and sketches. They may be cute and colorful. Yet, they are very Momo. Authentic and sincere.

That’s when Jeong realizes that Momo, with her child-like values and approach to life, may have a shot to an effective conversation with Once. So, she lets her and leave with a reminder instead.

“When you write the actual letter… “ she sighs, “since there’s an agreement—be extra careful.”

“Ehh?! Help me juseyo~”

Other than the complex confidentialities, Momo has to mind writing in sensible Hangeul. For a Japanese, it sure is a struggle.

It’s Nayeon who has been teaching her through texting. They picked up the habit during the Fancy era because Momo at replying in the Twice group chat. They’ve been messaging each other from sweet nothings to puberty fit phrases.

That’s how Momo practices Korean. But with Nayeon already swamped, it’s essential to seek the next unnie. Jeongyeon ends up staying late with Momo.

[Once!! It’s Momo!!

There’s a lot of things to say and I’m not even sure if it’ll be organized. But I wanted to write a letter so I’m writing like this.

It’s already the 5th new year with Once! Though we’ve been together for a long time… it feels like a short time but… makes me think of many memories we had with Once until now.

Every year Once’s memories of us are different. We as well have different memories of Once too. The memorable things are different too. So in 2020, I wanted to give more happiness and memories than in 2019. More happy memories for Once, and I aimed to communicate more as well.

But as soon as 2020 started, Once were surprised, I’m sincerely sorry… Actually, I stressed a lot if I should write this letter… would this hurt Once… or staying silent is better for Once… I was very cautious but since I’ve talked to Once a lot, I want to communicate in my own method, so I’m writing this letter.]

“How about this? Is it okay to put it like this?” Momo lets Jeongyeon check her progress. She wouldn’t even outrightly state the fact she was reported. At the same time, the wordings are retraceable to Nayeon’s warnings.

“O~ Nothing’s directly said but, something is conveyed. That’s- that’s very careful yet, interesting. I don’t think you need much of my help”, thumbs up.

“Hmm… spelling?”

Jeongyeon shakes head smiling. She then thinks aloud, “You know what? I just realize we can’t blame Once for feeling that way.”

“Yeah, I could imagine. Denied, retracted, denied. Then months after, confirmed. Issues are confusing. What more for Once?” Momo scratches head.

“Must’ve been difficult for Nayeon-ie having to decide that leads to such outcome. But I would always, always choose this problem of getting our message across to Once over that stalker.”

“Maj-ja. Even if it maybe impossible for Once to understand and go back to the way we were”, continues writing.

[Since young, I just like to dance, to sing. I wanted to be singer, an entertainer. I started with these reasons and worked hard. Was honored to meet great family that’s Twice then we meet Once.

Of course, dancing and singing is nice but it’s really fun talking with Once and it was happiness for me.

That’s why after work, I think ‘I want to talk to Once’ and do vlive until even the managers are exhausted… the videos I edit and post, it’s not because anyone tells me to. It’s cause I think ‘Won’t Once like this?’

Filming isn’t work. I filmed because I was really happy. Those aren’t work at all. I really want to be close with Once, seeing Once like it… I really enjoyed the 7-hour vlive to the point Once were tired… I’m not trying to brag, rather I want to tell Once I’m really thinking of you this much.]

Momo has walked her talk. She works hard to be able to show up as the best in front of Once. Even after that hard work, her mind thinks of Once and actually spend time talking to Once.

If only Once could remember… just like what Nayeon has said of precious memories… then, it would be apparent that the real relationship that Momo is having—is with Once.

[I’m really thankful to Once who communicate with me and give huge strength… we want to give more than what Once give us!! I’m always proud of you and cherish you… I hope I conveyed my sincerity for Once even just a bit

2020 has started so Once, Twice, everyone’s health is #1!! Each has their own hardships, and because of us… there maybe things that are difficult or annoying, but I hope we can have more happiness compared to hardships for our Once!

In the future too, I want to make more happy memories for Once…! I’m always sorry… and sincerely thankful!! I don’t tend to express words well but thank you for reading this long letter til the end!! Once… happy new year <3]

Momo posts the letter along with her colorful sketches of petals, stars, butterfly, and candy bong. In the middle, she has written big “Once 2020.”

She has also made a cartoon sketch of herself in blonde and wearing mickey mouse apparel. Here, she has written “Year of the Rat” not just for 2020 but for her zodiac birth year.

“There you go! It’s a shot to the moon. At least, you’ve said your piece”, Jeong congratulated Momo for finishing her message to Once well.

“Not all would understand. But it’s worth a try.” Momo breathes out.

Meanwhile, another Rat person is also wide awake. It’s Sana who noticed a trending discussion about Jihyo using a negative slang in the recent chat. It’s getting out of hand.

To defend her partner, Sana writes a letter.