Masquerade

Best Kept Secret

“Jihyo unnie, you have dealt with more hardships than any of us can even imagine. Thank you for being such a brilliant leader for the last four years!” Dahyun says during an interview with Buzzfeed, the last article release for 2019.

Clock strikes midnight at Korean Standard Time, a video is published on Youtube. It’s Twice in the backstage of Kohaku! Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung, Nayeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Dahyun, and Tzuyu greet Once a Happy New Year through an acrostic poem.

“Happy 2020!”

“Let’s last forever”

“Stop now~”

“2019 wasn’t easy, right?”

“Twice~”

“Wow we’ll get prettier~”

“My, my… Happy New Year to our Once!”

“I love you.”

They then gather in all smiles. Sana adds before the cut, “Happy new year!” As well as Jihyo never forgetting Twice as nine, “Mina too!”

As it is the Year of the Rat, Jihyo takes selcas with her favorite Rat person. Sana makes a peace sign, or more appropriately, showing ‘2’. Jihyo, on the other hand, gestures a circle showing ‘0’. Together, it’s 2020.

2019 has left Twice wounded but it taught them a lot. The girls wished to simply enjoy life but they realize that that too requires huge work. In hopes of getting a healthier outcome for 2020, they’ve been doing things differently.

Mina is taking initiatives.

Jihyo is owning up to her happiness.

And Nayeon is… allowing herself to be saved.

Broad daylight of January 1st—Twice goes back to Korea. During the flight, an unusual Twicetagram story is posted. Photo is by the plane’s window along with words of beseech.

Please go back to your home. Please stop now. Please, I beg you. Referring to the one causing a scene—the stalker.

He’s aboard the plane blending in with other passengers. Particularly, just a row seat apart from Nayeon. It was midair when he approached. Fortunately, the staff have stopped further desperate advances until flight touches down.

JYPE later states, “We intend to take all legal action of the highest level regarding this. Also, we are aware that artist information is sold and shared illegally. We will continue to implement measures to stop this.”

Measures. The dating news is on its way to be published. Out of fear and distraught for Momo, Nayeon is making promises to her. That she’d take care of her, help her out of it. And that she already warned Once about it.

“I wrote to Once. Told them I made a difficult decision. I wish for Once to not be shaken no matter what. In any case Momo-yah, unnie will make it up to you. O? Araseo? I’ll protect you”, Unnie embraces the dongsaeng.

The others can only sigh or sniff. Unlike the fit of anger during Jihyo’s news, they feel empathy this time. They’re plunging back to the hell they’ve been trying to get out of. And in their own volition!

What path are we taking? We’re supposed to be artists. But with these many issues, we’re becoming more like celebrities now. Jihyo silently sheds tears. She pauses a bit upon seeing Chaeng carrying pillows.

Chaeyoung notices that she felt the need to explain, “Uhm… I feel like the nightmares will come visit again.”

Without a word, the girls mirror one another. They’re onto their pillows and snuggle on the living room, wherever comfy. For Twice, bedroom doesn’t equal quality sleep anyway. It’s when they’re together that they find rest.

A new day has come. The article is up and the companies have confirmed. Jihyo grabs Nayeon’s and Momo’s phones. It must be experience that she’s the one policing this time saying, “Don’t read. Let’s get our minds ready and prepare stages instead. Shall we?”

Twice will appear in the Golden Disk Awards. They have 2 days to get it together. Reading the chaos fresh from explosion isn’t healthy. Besides, the sunbae too is taking cover.

Heechul leaves Jihyo a text,

[you might already know, Don’t let them read]

[I’ll be gone for a bit. Take care Twice-dul]

He has temporarily deactivated on social media including his Youtube channel.

Later that day, Sana is scheduled to attend the premier of Spies in Disguise with Dahyun. Before leaving, Sana finish watching a run-through of Jihyo’s modern dance. She applauds and says, “Wah~ Yeppeo!”

Jihyo sticks her tongue out and grins, “Shouldn’t you be going now? Might be running late.”

“I don’t know. I just feel like staying a bit to see some more pretty”, Sana says. The leader is sensing an emotional undertone that she heeds all ears to her partner.

Sana shakes head resisting the chance of tears, “Uhm… So~ It’s happening to my chingu Momorin. But experience is on our side now. I’ll- try to send messages to Once too.”

“Well, THIS is a message.” Jihyo takes Sana’s hand and caresses the SaMo ring. She adds, ”Only Once will be there right? Only Once can understand Twice. The moment they see it, they’ll know it.”

Sana arrives at the premier show in time together with Dahyun. It’s an exclusive screening for hundreds of Once. Before taking seat, they greet Once with hands waving.

Being extra in taking Jihyo’s advice, Sana didn’t wear any other hand accessory. Only the Samo band. What’s more curious is that, she puts it on her left ring finger this time.

On their seats, Dahyun whispers to Sana “Sana unnie, is the exaggeration necessary? Is Jihyo unnie gonna be okay with that?”

“She won’t”, smiles. “But it has to be done.”

Dahyun tilts head thinking she has seen that before. Then, she suddenly got chills on a memory of this unnie’s serious smile back in Twicelights Kuala Lumpur. The dongsaeng mutters “Ah, ye~ Let’s enjoy the movie then.”

The Japanese deems it necessary. They’ve been trying to send message since Jihyo’s news. Yet, how many even slightly sensed them? Let alone to actually comprehend. After all those times, Sana learned emphasis and intentionality.

By the time they have gone back to the dorm, Jihyo has already seen the press photos. The leader summons the Japanese, “Sana ssi.”

Looking ahead without a smile, Sana walks steadily and halts right in front of Jihyo. Seeing that familiar look, the leader changes tone “Sana-yah…”

She then raises arms and pulls her to a hug. Sana clutches back holding on to the other’s waist. Jihyo utters, “I’m supposed to be mad.”

“Go ahead.”

“Aigoo, what a bad girl~” Jihyo is half patting half slapping the other’s shoulder. “Maybe some other time in some other form. Rest for now.”

Meanwhile somewhere in the dorm, Momo gets her phone. In her head, she hears Jihyo’s warning. But she tells to herself, “Most people were supportive of her. So, it wouldn’t be that bad right?”

She unlocks it.

January 4th—it’s the Golden Disk’s Digital Awards. There’s a stark difference compared to their vibe during the Soribada Awards, the first Twice appearance during Jihyo’s news.

Back then, they were awkward as if avoidant and had little to say towards the Twice TV cameras. This time, only Momo wouldn’t talk much. Sana asks her after the cut.

“What did you read?”

“Didn’t read. Just- saw my photos torn and merch trashed”, Momo scratches and sweeps hair. She adds sighing, “We’re prepared this time. Nayeon-ie even sent message to Once. But why is it still painful?”

Sana later finds Jeong. NoJam hyung just came back from checking up on Chaeyoung. Her dongsaeng has bad colds. The Japanese informs her, “Once didn’t get the message.”

Estimating the scale of things, Jeongyeon shortly chats on V app:

[Please look forward to today’s stage]

[Jeongyeonie is sending messages]

Suddenly, she starts receiving heavy sentiments. She couldn’t believe what she’s reading from some Once. So, she types in:

[only Onces are here right? Lol]

[I came here to talk to Once]

[I’ll come back]

[Have fun watching GDA today~]

As Jeongyeon didn’t want to get affected by it, she takes a nap in the waiting room. The unbothered doesn’t care even when the Jjakkung partners are around being playful in front of Twice TV camera.

In trance, Jeong flashes to Chaeng as to why the kid would want to perform today despite being sick.

Half awake, she remembers the dongsaeng saying, “Even if I wrote letters, there’s no way to deliver our exact heart to each Once. We express through our stages.”

The kid rebel misses the red carpet but gets back in time for the opening ceremony. Twice is called up stage. They are wearing studded black skirted coat over white polo.

More notably, each of the girls is carrying a hand-held prop. That is, a masquerade mask. As if they have to put on a cover-up. As if things on the outside are false.

On their stage performance, Twice change to colors. As if they are in their own skin, their true selves.

Also, this time, they don’t have the masks. Instead, the girls take seat on the huge prop now which is, a carousel. As if they are going in circles, situations keep repeating.

They move out the carousel and on to the center stage. Unfortunately, things they didn’t rehearse start happening. The stage is slippery that the performance is ruined.

When the awarding is finished, Jihyo takes it to Instagram. “We worked hard preparing today’s stage but it was so slippery. It was such a shame TT TT Sorry to those who prepared with us. Once who looked forward to it TT TT I’m so upset. Let’s do better tomorrow!”

Jeong later approaches Jihyo and tells her of what she received while chatting with Once. “We’re being accused of insincerity. I was told we’re liars. That we’re not sincere.”

Sincerity. That’s what Twice has been banking on. It’s their currency. Everything they’ve said and done is based on sincerity. If Once wouldn’t accept it then, what would become of their value?

The rebellion, all the efforts of making their truth known, including tears and nightmares… What has it been for then? Jihyo wouldn’t let things crash.

So, the leader says “I’ll talk to Once.”