Triage

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo’s long slightly curled locks flow down her shoulders and Chaewon is amused to see Minjoo struggling to prevent the loose ones from touching her ice cream. Before another gust of wind comes, Chaewon reaches out to twirl the loose strands, tucking them neatly behind Minjoo’s ear.

 

“Thank you unnie.” Minjoo slightly embarrassed that she always has to be taken care of. She takes another of her ice cream. Chaewon just smiles and bites a mouthful of that sugary goodness.

 

“I never realised this but you are a biter, unnie.”

 

Chaewon is very confused with that statement. “Sorry?”

 

“You bite your ice cream. I them.” The girl does the said action again. “We eat ice cream differently!” Minjoo is proud to have discovered that.

 

Chaewon doesn’t know how to react to Minjoo’s randomness and Minjoo realises that. “Sorry, I am saying weird things again. Please just ignore me.” She goes back to her ice cream and people watching. The two have stopped after riding some crazy rides that obviously helped take Minjoo’s mind off the upsetting earlier half of the night.

 

“If I was bothered by your randomness I would’ve ignored you a long time ago.”

 

Minjoo turns her eyes back to the person beside her. Instead now, Chaewon has her eyes on the passing crowd. She didn’t want to say those words while looking at Minjoo.

 

“You really have been by my side for a long time already, right unnie?”

 

The softer tone captures Chaewon’s attention. “I have.” Chaewon glances at her ice cream which is nearly finished. It is time to talk about it. “So I am really sorry that I chose not to tell you about your father’s appearance in school. I know you hate me for what I did but…” Chaewon turns to look at Minjoo. “I would still do it again.”

 

“Why? Why would you if you now know I would react like this?”

 

“For the chance that you may not know. It was a 50-50 bet and I took it. No matter what, it’s better odds than the 100% chance that you will be upset.” For the glimmer of hope that you can stay happy.

 

“And even though in the 50-50 scenario, you will be involved and know I may get very angry at you, whereas in the other you definitely would be fine?”

 

Chaewon nods. “I am truly sorry I chose to make decisions for you but your ignorance is your bliss. If me getting involved even gives you a chance of not getting upset? I’ll take it.”

 

Minjoo looks away. She throws the remaining bit of her ice cream cone away. There wasn’t much left anyways. She undos the ribbon on her mask, unveiling her face for the first time since they stepped into the amusement park. They are seated in the shadows on a bench in the less crowded part of the park so a little breather shouldn’t hurt.

 

“When they said, ‘you will have KIS bodyguards from now on. They will protect you from everything.’ I never thought they meant literally everything - physically and emotionally. Or are you just working too hard at your job?”

 

For the first time since they started the serious talk, Minjoo finally shows a grin. Chaewon thought she would never feel relieved until she saw that familiar look. You aren’t just a job to me, Minjoo. She keeps her thoughts to herself, only reciprocating with a slight raise of one end of .

 

The minimal reaction is so-Chaewon and that’s why Minjoo cannot resist leaning forward and giving her agent a surprise hug. Chaewon freezes as Minjoo wraps her arms around, resting her head comfortably on Chaewon’s shoulder.

 

“I could never hate you unnie but now I understand better why you did it. However that doesn’t mean I can’t be angry. So to ease my remaining anger, you have to buy me ice cream for a month.”

 

Chaewon smiles at the sudden turn of events; not that Minjoo can see it either since they are still in a hug. “I can buy you ice cream forever for the anger I caused.”

 

To Chaewon’s disappointment, Minjoo releases the hug. The younger girl spots the remaining cone in Chaewon’s hand and cheekily takes it from her, finishing it in a mouthful. “And we just started.”

 

Chaewon doesn’t even try to stop her. She hands the tissue she kept in her pocket for the messy girl to clean herself up. Minjoo tosses the tissue in the bin before turning back. “You are the only one who cares about me.”

 

“That’s not true.”

 

“Let’s not pretend not knowing why we are in an amusement park when we are supposed to be at a gala dinner.”

 

Chaewon takes off her mask. “Even if people don’t show it, it doesn’t mean they don’t care.”

 

“Have you met my dad before mom died?” Minjoo asks sarcastically. She knows Chaewon was already at KIS when it all changed.

 

“Look Minjoo. I can never speak for him because I am not him. But as an outsider who has the opportunity to watch both of you quite often, my thoughts are that he loves you, however he shows it.”

 

Minjoo doesn’t say a word and Chaewon can infer from all the little tell-tale signs of Minjoo’s behavior. The avoiding eyes and wordless reaction means that Minjoo is upset hearing what she doesn’t agree with. This means Chaewon needs to create a distraction otherwise Minjoo will fall back into the unhappiness she was in earlier.

 

“My family is never one for showing love.” Chaewon says softly. This is a big step for her - even if the recipient is Minjoo - because Chaewon finds opening up one of the hardest things to do.

 

Thankfully, it did the trick. Minjoo patiently waits for Chaewon to continue.

 

“But that doesn’t mean they don’t love me. I think.” She adds belatedly. “We just don’t have the habit of not expressing our emotions and thoughts. Therefore to me, love doesn’t need to be told. It just... exist.”

 

Minjoo stares intently at the side of her agent’s face. Chaewon does not wear much emotion but somehow Minjoo can tell that it is difficult for the agent to say what she just did and she appreciates it. “You never told me about your family before.”

 

“I guess it runs in my family then… our habit.” Chaewon chuckles awkwardly. Her eyes had deviated away, probably to avoid seeing Minjoo when revealing a very personal part of herself. When she realises, Chaewon turns back and recognises the familiar look Minjoo has when she is very focused on listening. The unwavering eyes and little pout, Minjoo has the ability to make people feel comfortable even while engaged.

 

“So what you are probably trying to tell me is that people all love differently? My dad loves me but the way he shows it changed when my mom died?” Minjoo asks.

 

“Well if that is what you got, I supposed it’s right.”

 

There is a twinkle in Chaewon’s eyes that Minjoo catches. The agent has done it again, comfort Minjoo without comforting words. How is that possible that she is always right the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter