Secret is out

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo slowly grips the phone in her palm and rises back up. While doing so, she clicks on the home button before locking the phone. Once she is back on her two feet, Minjoo forces a smile. Heiress training is going to be useful: the skill to mask her expressions with one that makes it look like all is good. Although she isn’t sure how effective it will be given how shocked she was prior. Well, it’s worth a try.

 

“I didn’t have my phone and I wanted to show Eunbi unnie photos from the night I wore this dress using yours but it was locked. Sorry I accidentally dropped it, was surprised by Eunbi unnie’s sudden calling.” Minjoo observes the phone’s exterior, “Thank goodness it didn’t crack. But let me know if it’s spoilt, I’ll get you a new one.” She passes the phone back to Hitomi.

 

Eunbi is baffled by Minjoo’s odd actions, she is pretty sure Minjoo was shocked because of something on the phone. Why did she say the phone was locked? Can Hitomi’s lock screen be this shocking?

 

Hitomi warily takes the phone back from her best friend. She is more cautious because of the situation she stepped into when she came back with tissues. From afar Hitomi could tell Eunbi’s concerned expression before seeing Minjoo’s back as it becomes frightened enough to drop the phone.

 

“I need to use the washroom, please excuse me. Oh and no need to follow me you guys. Enjoy the food, I’ll get the base agent outside to follow me.” Minjoo slowly makes her way to the exit before turning around again with a trying-to-be-stern look. “Principal’s order.” Minjoo wants some time to think alone but she knows the agents will naturally follow her if she didn’t say so. Minjoo puts a reassuring smile on her face so the agents don’t have a good reason to object. Her safety is not compromised thus they have to obey.

 

Sakura watches the whole exchange in awe, that’s something only an experienced Principal can pull off.

 

With Minjoo out of the door and the rest of the agents resuming their conversations, Eunbi eyes where Minjoo just left. She has thoughts in her head she needs answers to but none is available. She sees Hitomi in front of her fiddling around with her phone and Eunbi turns away to give her privacy. Then Eunbi meets eyes with Chaewon, who was also looking at the door before glancing at her. Was it agents instinct or just two people who cared about Minjoo thinking the same thing but Eunbi knows Chaewon wants answers too. Hence Eunbi indicates with her eyes to talk outside and Chaewon gets off her seat.

 

Meanwhile Hitomi unlocks her phone, she is still not too sure if her phone has anything to do with Minjoo’s behavior. She sees her home screen and nothing has changed. Hitomi was about to give up before she decides to check the past applications used. She sees the ‘google maps’ application from just now but strangely, her gallery is shown as well. Hitomi clicks on the application and the first thing she sees is a photo of Chaewon sleeping by the spot outside the classroom where the agents usually wait. It clicks. Minjoo knows. Hitomi took that photo as it was one of the rare times she spotted the agent dozing off. They had a longer math class that day and Hitomi had to take that photo because Chaewon was too cute not to keep as a memory.

 

Yet that photo, her rare memory keepsake of her biggest secret has now revealed Hitomi’s longtime unrequited crush. Minjoo now knows about her love for Chaewon.

 

--

 

Chaewon closes the meeting door and walks over to Eunbi who is standing by the corridor.

 

“You thought that was weird too right?”

 

Chaewon nods, “Did you see what’s on the phone?”

 

Eunbi shakes her head. “Barely saw the screen.”

 

They are about to continue when the meeting door opens again. Hitomi steps out, looking left and right before she lays her eyes on the agents. Hitomi tries to smile naturally.

 

“I am going to look for Minjoo.”

 

“Anything wrong Hitomi?” Eunbi probes, hoping Minjoo’s best friend can shed some light.

 

Hitomi shakes her head casually, “Nothing. Just want to follow her that’s all. Don’t worry about us, continue with your conversation.”

 

As much as Chaewon wants to follow, she knows her boundaries. Since Minjoo and Hitomi both asked not to be accompanied, the agents have to respect. They nod as Hitomi makes her way down the corridor.

 

Eunbi sighs once Hitomi is out of their sight. “Well Minjoo is a big girl now, she has her own secrets. She can sort it out.”

 

Chaewon’s silence means she agrees with Eunbi’s statement. She is about to head back when Eunbi speaks.

 

“Chaewon ah.”

 

Chaewon gets a bad feeling because she knows Eunbi is not going to talk about work now since she used her name in an endearing manner.

 

“I only see Minjoo as a younger sister I never had. You know that right?”

 

Chaewon hums while keeping her expression neutral, eyes not matching Eunbi’s.

 

“I know Minjoo sees me otherwise but I will speak to her about that… what she did at the gym.”

 

“Cap-”

 

“Unnie.” Eunbi interrupts. “I told you before, outside of work talk, call me unnie.”

 

Chaewon keeps mum so Eunbi continues on. Chaewon still keeps her eyes away from Eunbi’s. “You and Minjoo will forever be my lovely dongsaengs. That will never change.” Eunbi steps closer to Chaewon and puts her arms on both sides of the younger girl’s shoulder, inadvertently forcing Chaewon to look at her. The younger agent does not move away. “Doesn’t mean we are not in the same team you can’t talk to me.”

 

“We don’t talk much in the first place.” Chaewon answers objectively.

 

“Whose fault is that?” Eunbi her brows in confidence.

 

Amused at the witty reply, Chaewon keeps silent. There’s no point arguing with Eunbi, the older girl doesn’t give up easily.

 

“I am the annoying and clingy older sister you wished you always had.”

 

“Maybe wishing I never had.”

 

Chaewon returned with her own witty remark. Others may take her words the wrong way, especially since it was delivered without any expression. Luckily Eunbi knows her well enough to take it as it’s intended - a Kim Chaewon style cold joke.

 

The older girl chuckles and the younger agent produces a small grin. She appreciates Eunbi’s effort to make sure she is alright. Frankly, none of them can control Minjoo’s feelings and Eunbi didn’t nee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter