Everybody is back

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mr Kim paces around the living room. “Is she not coming yet? Did something happen midway?” He looks at his agent for answer. Seo Woon calmly responds, “I am sure everything is alright, Sir. Don’t worry.”

 

“Seo Woon-ah. You have a kid too so don’t tell me not to worry. You should know.”

 

From the other end of the living room, there is another worrywart. Sakura may be silently sitting beside her mother with her palm resting on hers, her mind has wandered somewhere else - or rather someone. She has been willing herself to not look at the triage area and admittedly, it’s getting very tough. Yujin has completed her checks and is given a cast while resting on a wheelchair with a packet of orange juice but Captain has not been seen. What is taking so long? Is it that serious?

 

“Seo Woon!” Her stepfather’s voice gets her attention. “Check again! It shouldn’t be taking this long. Find out where Minjoo is! You know what, I need minute to minute updates-”

 

“Dad.”

 

Minjoo’s clear voice stops Mr Kim’s spitfire instructions. As he was back facing the entrance, Mr Kim had to turn around to confirm if the voice was indeed his daughter’s.

 

Minjoo had returned home with Chaewon following behind and was initially confused by her father’s seemingly agitated body actions until she heard his words. Given tonight’s happenings, it is hard for her feelings to be less conflicted. Either way, Minjoo pushes her immediate thoughts aside as she approaches him.

 

“Dad.” She calls him again. “Are you alright?”

 

“Minjoo. It’s good that you are home. Are you alright?”

 

Sakura notices the resemblance of Mr Kim’s words to her mother’s just now. It’s a parent thing.

 

“I am okay. I was with Chaewon unnie…” Minjoo momentarily hesitates to continue. “At the amusement park. What happened at the dinner?”

 

Mr Kim decides it's not wise to pursue why Minjoo left in the first place, nothing matters since she is back safe and sound. “Protesters took over the dinner and created all the chaos. Thankfully everybody is fine. Well most of us anyways…” He turns over to Ka Eun, prompting her to continue.

 

“Yujin, as you can see-”

 

“Sorry Dad, I-” Before Ka Eun even finishes, Minjoo already springs into worried mode. She hurries over to Yujin. “Yujin ah, are you okay?”

 

“Just a broken arm is all. No thanks to Eunbi unnie. She protected Sakura unnie and I, otherwise it would’ve probably been worse.”

 

With the mention of her most revered unnie, Minjoo again springs off towards the blocked triage area as directed by Ka Eun. While walking over, she spots her stepmother and Sakura. The two daughters meet eyes and somehow Minjoo is relieved to see no visible injuries on the other girl. Despite their animosity, she doesn’t wish any harm especially since her favourite unnie is injured because of her.

 

The glance was quick to finish before Minjoo reaches the blinds. “Eunbi unnie? It’s Minjoo, can I come in?”

 

“Yes Minjoo.” Sakura can also hear Eunbi’s response from where she was sitting and that finally allowed her to relax. Yet an uncomfortable feeling grows near her stomach as she watches Minjoo disappear behind the blinds. I want to see her too…

 

Minjoo frowns the moment she sees Eunbi. The bandages wrapped around Eunbi’s shoulder are there with the agent’s blood stained shirt loosely hanging over her. Buttons are messily done to keep the agent’s dignity.

 

“Are you alright Minjoo ah?”


As expected of Eunbi to care about others before herself, Minjoo thinks. “I am okay unnie. Are you feeling alright? Does it hurt?”

 

“Painkillers and anesthesia are indeed medical wonders.” Eunbi chuckles. “I am glad to see that you are alright. Knowing Chaewon was with you really helped relieve my worries.”

 

Eunbi always manages to turn conversations away from her and that is her nature of caring. However all Minjoo wants to do right now is to talk about the agent and her condition. The prominent red patch is constantly in her peripheral vision and it is getting harder for Minjoo to suppress her worries.

 

“Unnie.” Minjoo lets out, one that Eunbi recognises to be serious. “Can you stop worrying about others for once? You are the one who is injured right now so please, let me worry about you.” Minjoo stares deeply into the older girl’s eyes and Eunbi can see where the words genuinely came from. Eunbi sits up better and inches closer to the younger girl. She uses her normal hand to reach out to Minjoo’s resting palm and gently holds onto it.

 

“I am sorry, I should let you worry about me. But Minjoo, I am fine I really am. Sure it looks like there’s a lot of blood but I am a tough agent. Remember I told you about that bullet to the thigh before?”

 

Minjoo nods remembering the stories Eunbi used to tell her with her long history working as a trained protector.

 

“That hurts more honestly. So forgive me for sounding like I am dismissing your concerns.” Eunbi hesitates on her next words but it feels like an appropriate time to lay it out once and for all.

 

“I am an only child and I know I have never said it before but… I have long regarded you as my little sister.” Eunbi looks unwavering at Minjoo who remains silent. “Thus knowing your family is the target of an attack and with you roaming out there? I can’t help but worry because that’s how families are.”

 

Minjoo heard Eunbi’s words loud and clear but her brain is somehow rejecting the apparent meaning of them. She can only muster up silence in a situation that feels like a rejection when it isn’t one. Did Eunbi unnie know?

 

Eunbi recognises Minjoo’s inner conflict and while the truth hurts, Eunbi knows nothing beats stating the truth. “It’s an unnie’s job to care about her dongsaeng. Alright, Minjoo ah?” Eunbi ends with an endearing tone, hoping it will help.

 

Minjoo keeps her eyes low on the sheets. “Like family huh?” She finally squeaks out.

 

Eunbi gives Minjoo’s hand a squeeze and that got the younger girl to look up. “I am glad to see you alright.” The agent smiles.

 

Minjoo returns the act but she doesn’t feel like staying any longer. She pulls her hand back and gets onto her two feet. “I’ll leave you to rest-” She pauses not noticeably, “unnie.” She moves closer to the exit, “Rest well.” And just before she could leave, Eunbi suddenly adds.

 

“With today’s incident we should all take note of how loved we are. There are many forms of love out there so we can’t mistake them or missed noticing them. You rest well too, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo is confused at Eunbi’s addition but nevertheless takes it with a smile before she leaves her unnie for real. She wanted to deeply consider the suddenness of Eunbi’s words but her eyes caught Sakura with a nurse attending to them, probably to relieve her stepmother of the drip. That is another stop she has to make so Eunbi’s words have to wait.

 

“You must’ve been very shocked, Aunty.” Minjoo had walked over without Sakura or Mrs Kim noticing.

 

“Minjoo!” Mrs Kim immediately stands and wrapped Minjoo in a tight embrace. “You have no idea how relieved your father and I were when they reported back that you were okay. Maybe it was a lucky move that you left the hotel otherwise you would have to face the rowdy people.”

 

Minjoo is in a bit of a shock with Mrs Kim’s sudden hug and stares dazed at the older lady when she released her.

 

“Oh, I am sorry.” Mrs Kim belatedly realises how intrusive her action was. She is too used to hugs with her own daughter she forgot.

 

Maybe it was the familiar scent that comes from mothers or something but the hug felt… needed. Furthermore Minjoo can tell how concerned Mrs Kim is and she really doesn’t mind. “It’s fine.” Minjoo smiles brightly, wanting to reassure the older woman. “It’s sad that this beautiful night had to be ruined but it is such a relief that everybody is safe and sound.” She sneaks a glance at Sakura.

 

“Your words are so sensible. No wonder your father always talks about how independent and considerate you are.” Mrs Kim gives Minjoo a mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter