Sweet Chaos

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon runs out and it isn’t hard to spot the lost girl. The agent sighs as she catches up to her, taking off her blazer as she approaches the girl who is waiting for the traffic lights to change.

 

I promise you that I will work hard as your stepfather and hopefully one day, be like a real father to you.

 

The moment Minjoo heard those words come out of her dad’s mouth, she desperately wanted to throw up. It didn’t sit right with her and the disgust upon hearing those words made her sick. Her dad wasn’t even a dad to her and yet he wishes to be a dad to a girl he has no blood relations to?

 

What is wrong with me. Am I not a daughter too. Why does she get a dress and words like that when I, his birth daughter, get nothing. I lost a mother and now… Minjoo does not realise how engrossed she was with her thoughts when she suddenly feels a weight on her shoulders. Instinctively, she jumps at the touch but soon notices a blazer on her. Minjoo looks up to see Chaewon looking back and immediately, she relaxes.

 

“Are you not going to cross the road?” Chaewon asks, indicating to the now green man.

 

“What are you doing here?” Minjoo asks curtly, remembering what happened this afternoon. While she feels slightly guilty for snapping at the agent, Minjoo holds her ground for her afternoon’s anger. Her longtime trusted agent should not have kept things from her, let alone assume her feelings on it.

 

Chaewon shrugs before her eyes wander to the disappearing green man. “I heard someone wanted to get out, so here I am.”

 

“I don’t need you to follow me. Someone else can do it.” Minjoo tries to hold onto her pride even when she doesn’t truly mean her words. There is something comforting about Chaewon being here.

 

“I can follow you and you wouldn’t even notice me.” Chaewon answers while keeping her eyes on the traffic light.

 

The nonchalance in Chaewon’s tone triggers the sensitive girl. Is there a running theme of people who thinks they can do things to her without caring about her feelings? Have another daughter when one already has one? Follows someone when she doesn’t want to be followed? Minjoo harshly spits out. “I said no, do not follow me.” She makes a quick turn but the agent is quicker. Chaewon grabs onto Minjoo’s wrist and moves in front of her.

 

Strangely as fast as Minjoo’s anger came, it goes away just as instantaneously as Chaewon stares deeply into her eyes. Without even hearing what Chaewon has to say, Minjoo already knows she shouldn’t have been so harsh. Minjoo is so blinded by anger the whole day to realise, Chaewon is Chaewon; the agent who always cared for her.

 

Therefore the moment Chaewon finishes her next words, Minjoo instantly feels the weight of guilt.

 

“I am not letting you go alone again. I am not going to make the same mistake.” Chaewon sighs. “I can’t let anything happen to you.”

 

The words are received with silence. Minjoo is at a loss on how to react.

 

She can’t believe she actually thought for a moment that Chaewon doesn’t care when on the contrary, the agent has to momentarily disregard Minjoo’s feelings to consider her general well-being. It is also why the agent kept cool with her words so Minjoo don’t feel bad about leaving the gala dinner for feeling bad.

 

Minjoo’s eyes soften, her brows no longer creased up. Minjoo is usually a talkative person yet when she is with Chaewon, silence is something she appreciates. It isn’t uncomfortable and rather the opposite. No words are needed to convey their thoughts, they just know - right now, Minjoo is sorry.

 

Indeed Chaewon probably senses that when she suddenly reaches out to adjust her blazer that is hanging on Minjoo’s shoulder. She brings them closer together from the front, covering Minjoo up properly. “Your fancy dress is drawing attention.” Chaewon keeps her reasoning short even without Minjoo asking. The younger girl meekly looks around and indeed some people are doing double takes at her.

 

“Do you have a plan? Or are we going to keep watching the green man change?”

 

Minjoo casts her eyes on the streets. She didn’t plan what to do after she decided to leave the dinner. Thoughts about her father’s speech floods back into her mind. Her eyes turn melancholic as she stares into the distance.

 

“Ice cream. I want to eat some ice cream. Somewhere far away from here.” Minjoo says keeping her eyes up front.

 

Almost immediately, Chaewon waves down an incoming cab and Minjoo is surprised. The agent smoothly pulls open the door. “Let’s get some far away ice cream then.” Chaewon stares deeply into Minjoo’s eyes.

 

Chaewon always knows what to do.

 

Minjoo nods and gracefully enters the cab. The agent closes the door for her and hops in from the other side.


 

When Minjoo heard the location that Chaewon gave to the taxi driver, she didn’t quite believe it. Until now.

 

The two of them get out of the cab and they are welcomed by bright colorful lights. “I thought we were going to get ice cream?”

 

“There’s ice cream in the amusement park I am sure. Come on.” Chaewon gets Minjoo to follow along. The two of them are at Lotte World, a famous amusement park in Seoul. Minjoo has never been here before since it’s her family’s competitor but in general amusement parks are one security nightmare so she really wonders why Chaewon would bring her here.

 

“I thought y’all always said amusement parks are a security pain? So why here for ice cream?”

 

“Figured that getting some intense rides will be good to take your mind off everything. It also helps that you don’t see the company’s brand around.” Chaewon points to the people around them, everybody is in costume. “Also the main reason why it’s because of Halloween. So we need to get you a mask and nobody will wonder why you are wearing a fancy dress.” Chaewon puts up a slight grin.

 

The agent pays for their entrance and they head straight to the gift shop. There are many masks and outfits on sale, given that it is an amusement park gift shop but more so because it is Halloween.

 

“Halloween is a good excuse to dress crazily.” Chaewon casually picks up a ‘Shrek’ mask for Minjoo. It covers Minjoo’s face entirely and perfect for people to not recognise her.

 

Minjoo takes the mask from the agent and cringes. “Why Shrek.” The younger girl chuckles at the agent’s choice. “I know you are trying to not let people recognise me but can you imagine Shrek in a dress? I will be the center of attention!”

 

Minjoo hangs it back on the rack and walks around the store and then she spots something perfect. It is a masquerade mask that covers only the eyes with fanciful designs and a feather stuck on one side. “This!” She waves proudly before trying it on. “Oh my god it’s perfect!”

 

Indeed Minjoo is better with dressing up. “Let’s get it then. It covers enough for people to not recognise you.” Chaewon is about to go to the cashier when Minjoo stops her.

 

“Wait, you are getting one too.”

 

“Me? No I am fine, than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter