Game On

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The agents stand in their formations, hands behind their back as they face the front. Eunbi paces through the gaps to take time to inspect the attire of her team. Rows and rows of agents stand still waiting for the Captain’s clearance. Occasionally, she will make more specific checks on random items. She stops in front of Yena.

 

“Daffy, show me your pistol.”

 

Yena withdraws her pistol from the holder on her waist and hands it to Eunbi. The senior agent unlocks the holder to check that there are bullets inside before closing it. She then inspects the body of the gun, making sure there aren’t dents and that every grooves and bumps are properly cleaned out of dust. Finally, she clocks the gun and readies it to fire. The sound is perfect and clean indicating that this is a ready gun. Eunbi is satisfied so she hands it back to Yena.

 

Eunbi moves onto Yujin. The youngest is already suited up to Eunbi’s instructions. Eunbi scans through to make sure everything is neat and then she notices something. “Pluto, why is your gun holder on the left? Are you a left hander?”

 

Yujin was too busy trying to get comfortable in her full suit and bulletproof vest she had not noticed where she placed her gun. “I am not, Captain.”

 

“Fix it.”

Yujin immediately does as she is told, shifting the gun to the right side of her waist. But under the watchful eye of Eunbi and the eerie silence and presence from all the agents standing in place, Yujin can’t help but get nervous. It is taking her awhile to get the clip in place. Eunbi steps closer and helps. Unlike Yujin’s shaking hands, Eunbi’s stable ones fixed the gun holder perfectly on the belt before she tilts it at an angle. “Always keep it at this angle because it will help you draw the gun out faster.”

 

“Thank you Captain.” Yujin stares gratefully at Eunbi. The older girl smiles before she does another quick scan and walks off to the next agent.

 

Chaewon easily passes Eunbi’s checks and not long after Eunbi is done with everyone.

 

“Alright everybody, at ease.”

 

The agents loosen up upon Captain’s command, no longer standing the rigid position. They do not leave their spots though, they haven’t been dismissed yet. Chief Ka Eun who has been sitting in the front the whole time Eunbi was doing her checks stands up on her feet.

 

“I trust that everyone has read through the schedule Eunbi gave before?” Ka Eun asks no one in particular.

 

“Yes Chief!” A coordinated roar of a reply came from her agents.

 

“Good. As you know, it will be a long day today and I need everybody’s full attention at all times. Eunbi has staggered breaks accordingly so do take them and do not push yourself. Only when you take care of yourself can you take care of our principals. Is that clear?”

 

“Yes Chief!”

 

Chief stands satisfied at everything so far. She glances at Eunbi who nods to acknowledge her turn again.

 

“The family will soon start their day so everybody get to your respective places and standby by for the first schedule. Remember one golden rule. Principals first.” Eunbi makes sure that she makes eye contact with each and every one of them. The Captain may be physically small but her presence looms large.

 

“I am always contactable by the comms and if you don’t wish to involve everyone and want to speak to me straight? My direct channel is?”

 

“927, Captain!”

 

Eunbi smiles, glad that everyone is on track. She decides to end off with their familiar chant. “Who are we?”

“We are KIS and we are the best!”

 

“You are dismissed.”

 

--

 

Hitomi turns her chair around to look at her best friend who is revising what the teacher had just taught them. Now it was the short break they had before the next class begins so the students roam free, chatting around.

 

Hitomi waits patiently as Minjoo goes through the page. When she was done, Minjoo looks up to her friend’s bubbly face. “I finally understand it after reading it five times.” She was referring to the geography topic.

 

“Formations of rocks isn’t the most comprehensible topic out there.” Hitomi shrugs while Minjoo takes a sip of water from her bottle. “Are you excited for the party tonight?”

 

She swallows the water before answering. “Well it’s just about every party I’ve been to right. I mean you know how it’s like, I brought you before. Talking, bowing, smiling, waving, sipping on fruit juices because I am a minor…” Minjoo chants through the usual procedures at such formal events. “Too bad I don’t have you tonight to accompany me through the pain.” Hitomi has a family dinner to go to so unfortunately for Minjoo, she had to pass.

 

“Well tonight’s different than other parties. You have a whole family don’t you?” Hitomi makes sure to emphasize on the word. “Both of you have been getting along so it’s more opportunity to bond. I mean you agree she seems nice so far don’t you?”

 

Minjoo shrugs and Hitomi accepts the silent acknowledgement. Just then someone comes into their peripheral vision.

 

“Another big party tonight Miss Kim.”

 

The best friends look up to the newcomer. It is one of their classmates, Na Eun, and they both aren’t particularly excited to see her. It is obvious she is only talking to them just because Minjoo is the heiress of Kim Corporation, which is pretty obvious since she loves to emphasize her surname by calling her ‘Miss Kim’.

 

“Hey Na Eun.” Minjoo replies with a polite smile. Heiress training prepares her for stuff like this.

 

Hitomi doesn’t say anything because of the firm gaze Na Eun has on Minjoo. She is so used to people who are only interested in talking to Minjoo so Hitomi casually plays with Minjoo’s pencil case.

 

“I look forward to seeing what you wear tonight.”

 

Minjoo continues to keep the smile on her face, “It’s just something I found, nothing too special.”

 

“Hey, how can you say that. Whatever you wear goes on news articles and fashion magazines. It’s always something special. My mom is forever grateful to you for at times wearing her clothes.”

 

What a up, Hitomi thinks to herself. She really admires Minjoo’s patience in dealing with idiots like this.

 

“You are being too polite. Your mother’s clothes are beautiful to begin with.” Minjoo casually chuckles. She too wants to end the conversation real bad but she figured Na Eun is here because Minjoo chose not to wear one of her mother’s designs tonight. She is probably here to find out what I am wearing so her mother gets a heads up.

 

Minjoo was about to end the conversation when Na Eun speaks again. “Now you are being too kind. But I guess you are right since your step-sister is wearing my mother’s design tonight and my mother is really excited to see how it turns out. I mean it will look good on her since she is pretty to begin with right?” Na Eun’s proud smug on her face is evident even to Hitomi who pops her head up at the new information.

 

“Yes I am sure it will.” Minjoo keeps her surprise in check by stabilizing her voice. How did she even know about Na Eun’s mother’s clothes? She could barely get through the Korean brands at the mall and has clearly no idea about dresses. How did this link happen? Minjoo needed answers so she skillfully sets up her additional comment.

 

“Since she has great taste to choose to wear your mother’s design.”

 

The ego fluff works as Na Eun looks visibly excited to let loose. “That credit has to go to your dad. He was the one who requested a dress for Sakura.”

 

By now, only silence can help suppress Minjoo’s growing shock.

 

Even Hitomi is shocked by this information. It is quite unorthodox for Mr Kim to be doing something trivial like this. While Mr Kim always gave Minjoo the support she needed - financially or in any other ways - he never really did something specially for her, not since her mother passed. It is quite obvious for Hitomi that her best friend is trying hard to process this information so she decides to step in and distract Na Eun.

 

“Your mother must be really happy that her design is going to be worn tonight.” Hitomi speaks to grab Na Eun’s attention.

 

“Of course!” The girl squeals. “And it’s all thanks to your dad for asking for a dress for his new step-daughter.” Annoyingly, Na Eun has her attention back to Minjoo. “He must really like her. Getting a dress for her, coming to school for her. You are lucky to have a dad like him.”

 

The final blow officially breaks Minjoo’s silence and also, her control to hold back. She doesn’t even hesitate asking the next question directly. “He came to school for her?”

 

“Yeah you don’t remember? When Sakura got robbed, your dad came down with his new wife and you know, do the parent-y things.”

 

Minjoo’s thoughts goes into a spiral. ‘Parent-y things’? He came down to school for her? Why is he only behaving like a parent to her and not me. What- From the dress request to now this additional information, this conversation is getting too much on her. Her expression visibly turns sour, losing the courtesy smile she had on.

 

Hitomi quickly comes up with an excuse to get Na Eun away. “Oh, class is going to start soon. I think we should end the conversation. Mrs Sung should be coming in.”

 

Luckily for her, Na Eun is oblivious enough to go along. “Well either way I look forward to what you are wearing tonight. Have fun Minjoo-ah.” Na Eun casually makes her way back to her desk after unintentionally dropping some big revelations.

 

Just then, their next teacher walks into the class. Hitomi can only quickly drop Minjoo a glance. “Don’t think too much about what she said. Let’s focus on the classes first alright?” Hitomi whispers but Minjoo barely gives her any response. Hitomi desperately looks out of the classroom window and spots Chaewon looking back at her.

 

Hitomi shakes her head and signals using her eyes to Minjoo. Chaewon’s brows creases but that’s all the silent communication they can do before Mrs Sung calls for the class’ attention. Hitomi reluctantly shifts her chair back to its usual spot, fearing what’s to come.


 

Minjoo stays silent all the way back home. Hitomi wasn’t planning on following Minjoo home but she decides that it’s best if she did given the state Minjoo is in.

 

Chaewon lets out a soft huff before she feels the vibration on her phone. “Did something happen?” Yena’s text reads.

 

“I don’t know much of the details either. Let’s play by ear. It’s nothing alarming yet.” Chaewon replies and locks the phone as the limo arrives back at the mansion. When the limo slows on the driveway, they notice Sakura’s limo already parked there before the door opens.

 

Hitomi looks nervously at her best friend and Minjoo already has a strong gaze on Sakura. Hitomi wanted to put her hand on Minjoo’s but the girl has moved to open her own door. This is unlike her because she usually waits for her agents to do so for safety reasons. Even Chaewon is shocked to find Minjoo already closing the door behind her. With Minjoo’s eyes directly aimed at Sakura, Chaew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter