Déjà vu

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks have passed and everything has resumed its normalcy. Naturally Chief has put in place more precaution so security has stepped up and nobody has tried anything since that night. The disruption during the gala dinner has improved Kim Corp’s profile as the general public took steps to condemn the act. This made Sakura relieved to see that it is only a select few that do not welcome her and her mother. What is making Sakura not relieved to see is the absence of Eunbi. It’s for good reasons after all, she convinces herself. Chief has ordered Eunbi to be on sick leave and to only come back once the doctor has cleared her.

 

“She wouldn’t do any good if she’s not in her best form.” Lightning told her.

 

The lack of presence is probably also good for Sakura; she has yet to find a way to deal with the newfound knowledge that Eunbi knows she lied. Would the Chief tell Eunbi first? Or does she have to tell her herself? Or not say anything at all and pretend everything is normal? What is normal anyways? The last time they were together, their faces were THIS close. Eunbi’s lips and eyes, Sakura remembers them vividly. Oh the tension then… what was it!

 

Yujin’s absence does not bother Sakura as much. She can deal with some distance away from the noisy girl. Or so she thought because now two weeks have passed, she really wonders when she will see them both.

 

She has been staying at home the whole time - she’s so thankful that the school’s midterm break coincided with all the fiasco. Her homebody self compounded with the possibility of scrutiny from the outside world has squared her in safe territory. Even Minjoo has been staying at home, the night of the dinner really has done something to the family. Coincidental run-ins around the mansion were slightly awkward but nothing as intense as the last confrontation they had in the driveway. That’s another good thing that came out from the drama. Sakura sighs. Her boredom has reached a peak so she finds herself wandering around the mansion. It is truly a big place and there’s never a better time to venture than now.

 

Sakura nods politely at the ground agent passing her. Chief has changed the structure of their workflow and once in mansion grounds, instead of attaching a ground agent to a principal, agents are now assigned areas that they are to patrol in. This way, there will be agents in all parts of the mansion at all times. Sakura passes a turn and ventures into an area she has never been before. Lightning is training new recruits once Sakura had assured him that she has no intentions of going out of the mansion; he should utilise his time fruitfully instead of just being with her. “There are agents everywhere in the mansion anyways!” She convinces him. Sakura’s plan today is to just walk aimlessly since there are always agents to guide her back.

 

Sakura pushes the double glass door leading her to the outdoor gardens. The smell of fresh air welcomes her and she wonders why she never thought of heading outdoors before. She looks around the grounds, the outside seems to be larger than the indoors. Just how big is the entire mansion ground? Not knowing what is out here, Sakura follows the stone pathway. It is a beautiful day with the sun peeking out from the sparse clouds in the blue sky. Her momentary distraction with the sky has unknowingly led her to more unfamiliar territory. She sees a grey building she never seen before some distance away. Of course, there is more than one building on the grounds. I wonder what this is for?

 

The building pales in comparison to the main building yet its design is still somewhat modern. Sakura daringly approaches but the unknown keeps her on her toes. Bang! She hears the sound of what seems like a gunshot and jumps back in fright. She has only heard this in her games and never in real life. Her natural instinct is to back away until she passes one of the windows.

 

Eunbi reloads her gun after a fruitful round and clicks on a button for the paper target to come towards her. As she waits, Eunbi puts the gun and protective glasses on the table in front of her and stretches her wrist before she notices someone looking in. The bright sunlight from outside makes it hard for her to identify who it is. Eunbi blinks as her eyes accustomed themselves.

 

To say Sakura is surprised is an understatement. It’s her. Sakura has been standing in her spot and never took her eyes away even when Eunbi caught her. She knew it would take awhile till the agent is back from sick leave but the days passed and she slowly gave up wondering when. That is until now.

 

Eunbi takes a step towards the window. Once she figured out who it is, a smile goes up her face. The two of them are separated by the glass window and despite the physical barrier, it is obvious that they are pleased to see one another; Sakura naturally returns the gesture. It must be the time of solitude that is making her softer than usual.

 

Eunbi lifts her chin before dropping it back down. The physical separation requires some non-verbal communication. Is she asking me what am I doing here? Sakura looks around; she still doesn’t really know what is here. Shooting range? Sakura turns back to the agent who is obviously amused. Eunbi points to her left and gestures for Sakura to come in through the entrance.

 

“Hi.” That is the first thing she hears once she gets through the door. Sakura turns over and finally meets Eunbi in the entirety. The agent is in a different form of casual today and nothing like her work outfit - decked in a simple red t-shirt and black jeans, Sakura is amazed at how good she looks in something so simple.

 

“Hi.” Sakura says as she makes her way over. She can’t help but look around the new space she is in which is larger than she made out through the window. “What is this place?”

 

“Shooting range.” Eunbi answers with Sakura stopping when she reaches the agent. Eunbi cannot help but smile again upon seeing Sakura looking all well and exactly the same as two weeks ago. “How have you been?”

 

“You know, the same. How... about you? H-how’s your shoulder?” Sakura doesn’t know why it feels awkward to get her question out.

 

Eunbi demonstrates by rotating her left arm in one full circle. “All good now.” The awkwardness prevails and now it even gets Eunbi conscious. Is it because it has been awhile since we spoke? On top of that, the last time was such a dramatic night. “How did you end up venturing over here?” She tries to keep the conversation going.

 

“I was bored so I decided to walk around the mansion randomly and I ended up at a shooting range I never knew we had. Are you practicing?” Even though Sakura is not a shooter herself, she knows what accurate shooting is when Eunbi’s shots are all collected around the center of the paper.

 

Eunbi nods and changes the said target paper to prepare for her next round. “Yep, I need to make sure my skills are up to date before I am back to work.”

 

“B-back to work?” Sakura stumbles on that line because nervousness is creeping up. Is it because it reminds her of her last conversation with Chief? Or that Eunbi will be back on her team and they hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter