Catharsis

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi suavely pushes up her sunglasses that is resting on her nose bridge. She shouldn’t be in the school since she is no longer the agent attached to any of the principals here. However since she decided not to ask Sakura the other time when she found her crying in the movie theatre, Eunbi still needed to find answers. Nothing beats investigating on your own. She casually bows to the security guard on duty; he recognises her since she is after all a regular in this building. Eunbi skips her usual route of going to the second floor classroom but instead, goes all the way up to the fifth. She stops at each level to observe the viewing points around. Indeed from each level, one is able to see the open concept stairway. Eunbi frowns but continues on.

 

Eunbi pushes the toilet door open and this time, it is empty. As the trained agent she is, Eunbi looks through the toilet. Sakura mentioned that there was barely any scuffles but it never hurts to look around. Eunbi mimics the push the supposed robber made to force Sakura to the ground then she looks at her watch and starts its timer. Eunbi dashes out of the door and down the five levels. She makes the left, which is where it will lead to Sakura’s phone drop off point. Once she reaches the grassy patch, Eunbi stops her watch. 3 minutes 05 seconds. She was right - the quicker timing is after all because she is a trained agent. With a buffer of 30 - 45 seconds, it is closer to 4 minutes as she calculated.

 

“With such a huge time frame and the open concept stairway, how is it possible that two trained agents missed the robber?” Eunbi talks to herself.

 

“I thought bodyguards are always with the Kim girls.”

 

Eunbi turns over to the source of the voice. A girl approaches from the school building to the grass patch Eunbi is on. Eunbi recognises her, she is one of Minjoo’s classmates. The girl walks past Eunbi into the deeper portion of the pathway and leans on the brick wall. She pulls out a cigarette from her pocket and lights it up casually. Eunbi has been watching her since she spoke.

 

“Why? You want one too?”

 

Eunbi vaguely remembers her name to be Soobin. This is one of the more rebellious girls in school and Minjoo hardly hangs out with them so there wasn’t a need for Eunbi to know her. “Nah, I am good.” Eunbi replies the girl. She is about to leave the girl to her smoke break when the girl speaks up.

 

“I know you left Minjoo’s team to the new girl. If you are here to recce a new spot for the new Kim girl for whatever she wants to do, tell her no. Anyways, I came here first so don’t come by and steal my escape-from-teacher spot.”

 

Eunbi frowns and turns back around. “What do you mean by that?”

 

Soobin puffs out a smoke. “Don’t think I didn’t see the new girl coming here a few days back while her class was having PE. I would’ve told her myself but she left as fast as she came. Newbie I guess, to running away from classes.” She takes in another breath of the cigarette.

 

“You saw Sakura here a few days back? You sure it’s her?” Eunbi traces back her steps, getting closer to the girl who is smoking.

 

“Yeah, that bob hair and big eyes. Her face is everywhere, isn't it? Hard one to mistake. Why?”

 

“Nothing.” Eunbi lies without so much as batting an eye. “Like you said, just doing my routine perimeter check to make sure everything is safe.”

 

“Well listen to me and tell her not to include this in her new hangout spot. With a face like that, sooner or later the teachers are going to realise this spot and I’ll be busted. So do yourself a favour and protect her because if my smoking corner is exposed, I’ll know who is it.”

 

Eunbi nods. There isn’t much of a point arguing with this young rebellious girl. Before she left, Eunbi made sure to squeeze in one last question. “You said during her PE class? So you saw her around 9am?”

 

“About 9:15am. I remember that because I left 15 minutes after our math class started. Stupid class anyway.”

 

“Thanks.” The girl nods back at Eunbi.

 

As Eunbi makes her way back to the school building, she looks around her and even on the grass patch she is walking on. 9:15am should be around the time Yujin left to look for me… at Sakura’s request. Eunbi rolls her eyes when it all made sense. Why the agents missed out on the escaping robber, the mystery of how the robber got down five floors just to drop the phone at a corner that is out of the way.

 

Sa-annoying-kura freaking lied.

 

“Why?!” Eunbi can’t fathom such a childish act. “Just because we don’t get along- oh come on.” Eunbi kicks the wall in frustration.

 

But how will she know it will not implicate Yujin. Wait… she planned it. That’s why she asked me why I was there after she cleaned up instead of Yujin. Her plan nearly failed until I was distracted momentarily.

 

ing hell. I gave her the ing loophole.

 

Eunbi steps out of the building onto the field. She looks up at the classroom window she knows Sakura is at. She is so tempted to go up there and confront her with all her lies. Yet something flashed in Eunbi’s mind. Seeing Sakura weep in the dim movie theatre.

 

this .


 

Eunbi throws her punches out strongly. She grunts with every punch. It took a while before Eunbi will finally stop. She breathes quickly as her heartbeats pulses furiously to catch up with its owner. Eunbi casually lands a final tap on the punching bag and removes her gloves. She walks up to the wall and drops herself down in the corner. With one hand in her bag, Eunbi pulls out her water bottle and gulps down the liquid quickly.

 

Eunbi needed to let off steam after the revelation and also coming to terms with her decision on what to do with the newfound information. Eunbi has decided not to confront Sakura with this and pretend like she did not go on this self-imposed investigation. Anyways it’s only Yujin who knows about it aside from myself. Eunbi is very tempted to do otherwise, tell the world what Sakura did and return her pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter