It's birthday time

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi stands in her spot, worried that the other person in the room will know she’s here. Eunbi isn’t sure why she shouldn’t make her presence known but she guesses it is because the principal that she knows wouldn’t be crying so hard like that - but she is. The headstrong, annoying young brat who loves to argue back with her every statement is now crying alone in the large dim movie theatre.

 

Eunbi can only watch as Sakura’s back bop up and down. She’s homesick. Her mother is here but her life, her friends are all back in the US. Eunbi’s eyebrows droop in empathy. What she came here to ask Sakura about is no longer as pressing as the girl who is feeling everything but right about the place she is in.

 

Eunbi slowly retraces her steps back out while keeping an eye on the unknowing girl. Before she leaves, Eunbi takes one more look at Sakura’s back. Maybe Sakura and her mother wants to keep the mystery of the robbing incident a mystery for a reason. There’s no point adding more pain to the displaced mother-daughter, making harder than it already is.

 

Eunbi closes the door behind her gently and lets her eyes adjust back to the brightness outside.

 

“So, what did she say?” Yujin looks at Eunbi from her chair.

 

“Didn’t manage to talk to her.” Eunbi shrugs nonchalantly. She decides it is better to keep what she saw to herself instead. “She look engrossed in what she was doing so I didn’t want to disturb.” Eunbi lingers away from the door. “Don’t tell her I came.”

 

“Okay.” Yujin is confused with her Captain’s request but she knows better than to ask. That confusion deepens when Eunbi suddenly adds, “Oh by the way, don’t go in until she calls for you.”

 

Yujin nods her head robotically while watching the back of her senior casually walking away.

 

--

 

Minjoo knocks on Hitomi’s front door. Unlike the heiress, her best friend’s house is much more humble. Located in a nice neighbourhood, Hitomi’s place sits in the middle of the long stretch of similar houses. Hers is much more obvious with its red roof and white body frame.

 

“Minjoo is here!” Minjoo beams brightly as she is wrapped tightly by Hitomi’s mother. The younger girl always loved Hitomi’s mother, the Japanese woman has been nothing but gracious to her and her regular intrusions as Minjoo often drops by to hang out with her daughter. “I made your favourite miso soup. Come in girls.” Hitomi’s mother warmly invites Chaewon and Yena in as well with her arm still on Minjoo’s shoulder.

 

“Minjoo!” Hitomi comes running towards them in an adorable pink checkered dress with her hair nicely partly into a half bun with the remaining falling down her shoulders. “Chaewon unnie!” Her eyes sparkle at the sight of the agent. Hitomi isn’t sure if her birthday is making her mind clouded as her crush stands before her seemingly glowing with the bright outdoor behind. Hitomi gets her senses together as Yena closes the door, removing that angelic outline behind Chaewon. “Yena unnie!” Hitomi adds, trying to sound as equally excited as she did for Chaewon. Thankfully her longtime top skill of acting not in love has helped as Minjoo proceeds to raise her paper bag proudly with two arms raised.

 

“Present! Happy birthday Hiichan!”

 

Chaewon just being here is already the best birthday present. Hitomi casually thinks to herself as her eyes avert back to Minjoo’s gift. She receives it happily from her best friend and leans in to hug Minjoo. “Thank you Minjoo ah.”

 

The girls break their hug as Hitomi’s mother hurries them to the food. “Come come, eat eat.”

 

Minjoo politely greets their friends that Hitomi has also invited as they make their way towards the kitchen table with a spread of dishes laid out. Hitomi’s mother hurries herself back to the kitchen to get refills for certain dishes.

 

“Woah, Tomi yah, your mother really went all out!” Minjoo’s eyes light up in front of the spread. “I am getting so hungry just by looking at it. Hmmm where are the plates?”

 

As usual, Chaewon is the first to help Minjoo. She stretches her arm out to reach for the plates by the end of the table and passes it to the girl. All of a sudden, an empty plate is also given to Chaewon. The sight is quite interesting as Hitomi has an arm stretched out to give Chaewon an empty plate while Chaewon has hers directed to Minjoo.

 

Hitomi’s mind was actually preoccupied with feeding Chaewon because she knows how much she enjoys her mother’s fried chicken. She didn’t actually hear Minjoo’s request so funnily the three of them are stuck in a scenario similar to their relationship.

 

Minjoo’s simple minded self watches the sight in amusement as she chuckles while taking Chaewon’s plate. “Thank you Tomi but Chaewon unnie got it first.”

 

Hitomi’s mind registers what Minjoo just said - her friend thinks that she was giving her the plate. Well then… “Chaewon unnie, you can have this instead.” Hitomi emphasizes the last word as if she did not originally intend to give the agent.

 

Chaewon nods and takes the plate from Hitomi, not before giving a gentle smile. That smile to Hitomi is worth every confusion in the earlier moment. In fact, it is making her birthday feel more like a birthday.

 

“What about me then.” Yena is the only one not offered a plate and Minjoo and Hitomi laughs at the agent who is pouting with her duck-like lips.

 

As Minjoo has already circled to the other end of the table whilst picking up her food, she takes an empty plate near her and hands it to Yena. “Here you go unnie.”

 

The bright girl loses her pout as fast as it came and excitedly dives into the feast.

 

Hitomi sneakily takes a glance at Chaewon who is seriously picking her food. Hitomi picks up the nearby tongs and takes a piece of fried chicken. “Chaewon unnie, I know you like this.”

 

Chaewon looks at Hitomi and again smiles. “Thank you Hitomi.” She brings the plate closer to the younger girl and Hitomi shyly places the chicken onto her plate. “What about you? Are you not eating too?”

 

“I-I am!” Hitomi didn’t expect Chaewon to be saying more than thank you. She struggles to hide her growing blush and tilts her head down to pretend to be busy taking the food.

 

“Shall we sit over there?” Yena indicates to the row of empty chairs near the wall.

 

Minjoo nods and the four of them moves to the spot but suddenly, someone comes from behind. That person is about to tap Minjoo on the shoulder but Chaewon’s quick response has his wrist held tightly by the agent before it reaches Minjoo’s proximity.

 

“Ouch!” He yelps out in surprise.

 

Minjoo turns around. “Anthony?”

 

Chaewon lets go of her hold. She knows this guy. Minjoo’s classmate who happens to like Minjoo as well. Unlike Chaewon, the boy has no reservations about showcasing his feelings for Minjoo. For that very reason, Chaewon doesn’t like him and deems him forever as a ‘boy’.

 

He side eyes Chaewon. “Your agents are scary Minjoo.” Anthony pouts. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter