Nonreciprocal longing

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Say that again.”

 

Sakura does not realise but she has moved dangerously close towards Na Eun, staring menacingly down at the young brat. She is in protective older sister mode, one she does not realise she has.

 

“Sakura.” Eunbi says, hoping the girl can hear her. Her job is to protect Sakura from danger and that includes preventing her from getting into danger. A catfight is still danger.

 

“Say that again and I will call OUR parents down. You can call your designer mother too and we can see how that goes.”

 

Chaewon has found her way beside Minjoo but the girl is too focused on Sakura’s back and her unreasonable classmate. Sakura is literally protecting her not just with her words but her stance. In that moment, gone were all the animosity. Sakura is her family. She has been for awhile but Minjoo hasn’t felt that until now. Family protects each other. Our parents...

 

“I-” The direct confrontation is obviously scaring Na Eun. The girl tries to find a way out seeing how everybody is looking at her for a response. Her mother will be pissed when she finds out she has provoked the legendary Kim family. She will be very embarrassed. “W-whatever. I am leaving. C-class is starting.” Na Eun tries to leave but Sakura stops her.

 

“Not until you apologise.”

 

It is obvious Na Eun wants to rage. Can she be even more humiliated? But thinking about the wrath her mother will rain on her scares her more.

 

“I-I am sorry.” Na Eun looks around defiantly.

 

Sakura doesn’t let it go. “Not to me, I don’t really care what dress I wear.” She responds sarcastically knowing the dress is Na Eun’s sore spot. “To Minjoo. And do it properly, otherwise.”

 

Sakura’s charisma is overwhelming the entire hallway. Minjoo and the agents have never seen this side of the girl before and while they are upset at the unreasonable Na Eun, they are awed by Sakura’s new side. Eunbi is slowly relaxing seeing how Sakura clearly got the situation under control.

 

Sakura steps aside as Na Eun faces Minjoo directly. “I am sorry Minjoo.”

 

“Apology accepted.” Minjoo calmly responds. She is able to keep this way no thanks to Sakura, whom she has her eyes back on again awaiting her step-sister’s next move.

 

“Go.” Sakura watches as Na Eun desperately squirms out of the overwhelming attention. She sighs in relief after that tense situation and drops her shoulders not realising that it has tightened itself over time.

 

“Nothing to watch now, everyone please head back to your class. Class is starting.” Eunbi shouts; crowds are not her favourite thing for protection. The students oblige because drama is over and being late is not ideal no less on the first day back. Soon enough, the hallway remains the two sisters, Hitomi and their agents.

 

“Thank you.” Minjoo says first. “For defending me.”

 

Sakura turns around. “She was being unreasonable. Anyone would have done it.”

 

“Yeah but you did it… when you didn’t have to so, thank you. Sakura…” Minjoo’s next word shocks everyone, but no one is as shell shocked as Sakura. “... unnie.”

 

A proud smile immediately goes up Eunbi’s face. Yujin, Yena and Hitomi cannot resist as their struggles to contain their bright smile fails too. Chaewon has her usual poker face on and even she raises her brows a bit - that is her surprise and happy look. Sakura is standing wide-eyed at what she just heard. She nods robotically. “N-no p-problem.”

 

Minjoo doesn’t know why but she is very shy because of what she just said. “We should g-get back to class too.” She turns to Hitomi for some sort of rescue. “Right Hiichan?”

 

“Right!” Hitomi nods brightly with the very wide smile still stuck on. Everybody here looks like an idiot in their own way.

 

Minjoo grabs Hitomi’s wrist but before they leave she looks at Sakura. “Bye. See you at home.” Minjoo then quickly escapes with Hitomi dragged along.

 

“B-bye.” Sakura watches as the two girls settle back into their chairs and then Sakura looks at the agents around her. Eunbi, Yujin, Yena and Chaewon are all staring at Sakura. “What.” She lets out.

 

“Nothing.” Eunbi teases. “You should go back to class too. Which is over there.” Eunbi points.

 

Sakura jokingly glares at Eunbi before she makes her way towards the said class. Eunbi and Yujin are about to follow when they catch Yena’s witty comment.

 

“Oh I am so glad I came to work today.”

 

Eunbi smiles and Yujin snickers and Chaewon breaks to a small grin too. “Me too.” The Captain says.

 

--

 

“Okay I will do it.” Hitomi announces resolutely.

 

Minjoo looks back at her friend confused. It is the last class of the day, is her friend tired from the day? Hitomi senses that and adds on. “I will heed your advice and tell her to just meet me at the movies.” The bread-cheeked girl has been thinking about it for the whole day and to be honest, there is nothing left to lose. Her longtime secret has been unveiled, Chaewon knows of her feelings. Sure, Chaewon doesn’t reciprocate now but that doesn’t mean it's cemented right? People grow out of their first love, maybe she can make Chaewon consider someone other than Minjoo.

 

Minjoo simply nods, she doesn’t really know what to add. She smiles as the bell rings and they pack their bags.

 

“Wish me luck.”

 

“Good luck.”

 

“See you tomorrow. I’ll head off first so I can escape immediately to spare myself from embarrassment.”

 

Minjoo waves as she slows her packing but she cannot resist watching how it plays out.

 

Hitomi tightens her grip on the bag strap and inhales deeply. She bravely walks up to Chaewon; thankfully Yena isn’t there otherwise the embarrassment would have been worse. “Do you still have the movie ticket?”

 

Chaewon is surprised at the random question. She thinks seriously and because Hitomi is so nervous, she mistakes it as Chaewon not understanding her question. She repeats herself. “Do you still have the movie ticket?”

 

“O-oh right. Yes.”

 

As expected of the agent to keep her words minimal, Hitomi nods and says her rehearsed words. “Good, I’ll see you at the movie theatre tonight then.” Once it was articulated, Hitomi jets out leaving the agent no time to respond. Chaewon can only watch Hitomi’s back in bewilderment.

 

And... Minjoo purses her lips.

 

--

 

Minjoo loiters inside the piano room, contemplating when to step out. She knows what time the movie is, what time Chaewon will knock off from work to head over for the… date….? Whatever it is, Minjoo hasn’t been able to focus well in the last hour and her eyes keep checking the clock on the wall.

 

“5 more minutes till she knocks off.” Minjoo mumbles to herself. She walks over to the door and stops. Her hand is gripping firmly on the door knob when a thought comes to her mind. Why am I so concerned?

 

Truth be told, she isn’t even sure if she would see Chaewon before she leaves since the agent may be off doing other agent-y things since they are on mansion grounds. She is pretty sure Yena is not around since she doesn’t hear her loud voice through the door. Minjoo shrugs off her thought, opens the door and a surprise awaits her.

 

Chaewon looks up from the iPad when she hears the door. She saves the paperwork she had been doing before locking the tablet; team leader duties unfortunately come with boring work. She figured since Minjoo will spend a while with her piano, she can just sit nearby with her work just in case.

 

“You are still here.” Minjoo instinctively comments.

 

“Had to get some work done and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter