Take Off

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Sakura enters her room, she drops her bag down. This is not a good start to a very long day. She was hoping to relax and maybe game a bit before mother’s arranged for makeup and hair people come in and help her look ‘presentable’.

 

Sakura’s eyes move to where her current dress is hanging. So Uncle had that customised for me? She remembers the last look Minjoo gave her before she left; the anger and hint of disappointment remains vivid in Sakura’s mind. I can’t wear that tonight. I can’t make things worse.

 

Like Minjoo, Sakura only has one parent but she’s luckier that her mother is present with her. Therefore she can’t imagine how Minjoo is, losing a parent and the one still alive just doesn’t count as being here.

 

She finds herself staring into space the more she recalls about the incident just at the driveway - or rather one person.

 

Gone were all the dirty thoughts she had about the agent as Sakura’s head is now filled with the recollection of how Eunbi breezed through the tension earlier. It felt like that day during the interrogation in school the way Eunbi handled the situation. She solved everything, didn’t she. I wonder how she will get me another dress.

 

A knock on the door takes Sakura out of her thoughts. “Come in!” She screams out as she gets up on her two feet.

 

Eunbi walks in and very obvious in her hand, is the said solution. “I hope you don’t mind this but if you don’t quite like it, we still have time to head out to get another.”

 

Sakura looks at the dress - it is a simple sequined black dress, not as fanciful as the one given by Mr Kim but nevertheless presentable. In fact, Sakura can say it fits her better, classy yet not too showy. She takes the dress from Eunbi’s hands and runs her fingers through the sequins. “Where did you get it?”

 

“It’s mine. I always have one kept in dorms just in case so don’t worry, it’s clean.”

 

Sakura’s eyes naturally widens hearing what Eunbi said. Firstly, she is surprised that the agent would lend her her own dress and secondly, knowing Eunbi’s - size - Sakura worries the dress would not work. Her hesitance is obvious.

 

“I can get Lighting and Yujin here and we can go out to get another-” Eunbi mistakes Sakura’s expression for dislike.

 

“No! The dress is fine, I mean it’s great. I am just worried it will not… fit.” Strangely, Sakura doesn’t mind being honest.

 

Eunbi appears more visibly relieved after Sakura’s reply. “How about you try it and we see what we have to do?” She is trying not to laugh at Sakura’s side snide at her ownself.

 

The next moment Sakura reappears again, the agent is blown away. The black sequins help accentuate the girl’s pale skin and the little sparkles seemingly give twinkles to Sakura’s eyes. The dress seems to be made for her. Well there wasn’t a doubt that she’s pretty in the first place.

 

The only thing Sakura cannot get done is the zipper. Her lanky arm is obviously not flexible enough to zip her dress up fully so she has to make do with the fabric at the top not secured. Well, just trying the dress anyway. I will ask those makeup people to help later.

 

Eunbi walks towards Sakura, eyes continuously scanning her. Needless to say, Sakura feels conscious under the intense gaze. Why is she looking at me like that. Her heart pounds faster.

 

“Do you mind?” Eunbi asks with her mind obviously distracted.

 

Mind-... what? Sakura’s brain gets more scattered as seconds tick under Eunbi’s wandering eyes. Does she want to… touch me? Is this another dream again! Sakura nearly tries to pinch herself but Eunbi beats her to it by reaching out for some loose cloth on Sakura’s sides and securing them with pins. Eunbi then notices the not fully zipped back and naturally moves over for it. Yet crazily enough, the normally serene agent freezes at the sight of Sakura’s slightly exposed back - the principal’s smooth skin accentuates her already broad shoulders. That indeed is a sight to see.

 

Frustrated - and nervous - under the sudden intensity and her own stupidity for imagining the most, Sakura turns over her shoulder to see what the agent is fiddling with. And Eunbi, slightly surprised at Sakura’s movement, looks up equally fast. The two girls meet eyes, each too stunned to say anything.

 

What are you doing Kwon Eunbi! Why are you freezing. You don’t freeze. But her shoulders and… damn you always knew your principal is pretty but up close now...

 

Miyawaki Sakura, stop overthinking people's actions. But… why is she staring back at me like this?

Does she always have such a cute nose?

 

Snap out of it Kwon Eunbi! She is your annoying principal who got you kicked out for god sake!

 

Eunbi is the first amongst the two to regain her reality and she hurriedly keeps her cool with her expert agent training, diverting her attention to fixing Sakura’s dress. Sakura too snaps out of her daze, pushing her crazy thoughts to the back end as Eunbi focuses on the adjustments. Nobody speaks and Sakura awkwardly not knowing what to do, naturally gazes down at Eunbi’s work.

 

Catching Sakura who is watching her actions intensely, Eunbi answers calmly. “I got some pins while you were changing. Figured we might need it since you were worried it wasn’t going to fit. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure it is not obvious.” The moment of silence really helped the agent to regain her professional self, though she ain’t too sure why she wavered before. Focus Eunbi focus. Don’t think about it.

 

Sakura keeps silent as Eunbi does the same for the other side and in no time, the dress appears to be truly made for her. In fact, Sakura isn’t going to tell anyone she actually prefers this over the initial one.

 

Eunbi takes a step back and admires Sakura as a whole. That’s another problem solved, she heaves a sigh of relief. Then she notices Sakura’s gaze landing on her. It is obvious that Sakura isn’t as distraught like just now in the driveway, her current demeanour reflects her more relaxed self but also Eunbi can feel the subtext behind - Sakura’s succumbed self to the situation she inevitably has to deal with. What Eunbi sees before her is not a girl who schemed to get her out but just a girl who is trying to fit in to the crazy world she was ed into.

 

Under the facade of a beautiful face isn’t a devious girl but a girl who put up a defensive front to protect herself. Eunbi can sense that there’s a deeper layer and strangely, now she wants to know it.

 

Eunbi finds herself feeling for the girl before her because it seems like she’s the only one who sees through her pain. By trying her best to get Sakura presentable for tonight’s gala dinner, the big question is, is it because it’s her job or has it been one that has extended more than her responsibility?

 

“I’ll make sure it gets back to you in perfect condition after tonight.” Sakura lets out. “You know, the dress.”

 

Eunbi nods, decidedly ending her thoughts. “I am glad it works out. I guess I shall leave you to rest.” She takes a step towards the exit so Sakura follows along. Sakura contemplates hard on her next words but it took time so Eunbi already has her hand on the door handle. It is now or never.

 

“Thank you.” Sakura’s sudden words causes Eunbi to stop. The agent turns around. Sakura couldn’t not say it. She really wants the agent to know. “F-for the dress and the help.” Sakura points to the pins on her sides. The agent however, wears an expression Sakura cannot make out.

 

Why does she seem conflicted. Is she regretting helping me? Is that pity- Just when Sakura thought it wasn’t confusing enough, the agent gives another thought-provoking response.

 

“It’s my job and I always make sure to do my job properly.” Eunbi stares straight at Sakura. “I hope you know that.”

 

Sakura stares wordlessly as Eunbi turns the door handle and pulls it open. Sakura notices Lighting turning in their direction but her mind is still on Eunbi’s last wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter