Arrival

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lights flash repeatedly from the massive amount of reporters who are stationed outside the hotel’s entrance. There is a red carpet specially made for the event with Kim Corporation’s logo on it. Reporters are flanked on both sides as guests walk on the red carpet before entering the hotel. Audible hushes can be heard when the main guests are about to arrive. This will be the first photographed public event that the whole Kim family will appear together thus everybody is excited to get that money shot.

 

Eunbi’s car arrives first as she thanks the agent who drove her. She steps out and her eyes immediately scan across the area. Her perfect eyesight lands on her Chief, Ka Eun, who is smiling back at her from the other end of the red carpet. Ka Eun gives her a thumbs up and Eunbi nods. After also acknowledging the various agents positioned in different spots, Eunbi hears Lighting’s announcement. “Family is arriving in 2.”

 

That is the planned cue for them to get into places and all Eunbi does is glance into the crowd and the agents all move from their initial positions to the more ‘active’ position that Eunbi had strategised. Within seconds, everybody is in place.

 

The sighting of the fleet instantly raises the tension on location. One by one, five vehicles arrive in a straight line with two sedans on each end of the central limousine - no question about which is the main star of the night. Agents all disembarked from the sedans and following Eunbi’s plan, Seo Woon and Sujin stand at the foot of the red carpet with Yena and Yujin standing behind them. Chaewon goes to the other side of the limousine away from the commotion. Like Eunbi, she is tasked on oversight.

 

Upon Eunbi’s cue, Seo Woon proceeds to open the door of the limo and the flashes get intense. Mr Kim steps out and casts a smile to the crowd before turning back to offer his hand. His wife gracefully sticks a foot out, showcasing the sparkling high heel, before she comes out of the dark limo into the buzzing atmosphere with her husband’s support. The married couple is indeed a sight to see as they stand side by side with each other, hands held together. Collectively, they move forward for the next exciting sight: the heiress of Kim Corporation, Kim Minjoo. The girl has her head bent slightly before she looks up, revealing that perfect visual to the world. Her wavy hair flows nicely down the girl’s shoulders and Minjoo lets go of the fabric she was holding in her hand, letting the full-length dress appear in its glory. She casts her million dollar smile with her cheekbones rising up as her famous indian dimples dig deep into her cheeks. Screams and approving whistles can be heard from the crowd as the high-profile girl is well-loved by the public. Like the couple before her, Minjoo inches aside for the last passenger.

 

The lights are so overwhelming outside Sakura can barely make out what’s going on. She isn’t sure if the unknown is causing her heartbeat to race faster or the fact that she knows how many people are on the other end waiting for her, for the Kim Family as a whole. Either reasons are not helping her feel less nervous. What if I trip? What if I smile weirdly? Will I end up looking like the clown in the family? What am I even doing here. What what what.

 

“Sakura, it’s your turn.” Lighting’s voice calmly prompts her. He drove the family’s limousine tonight.

 

Maybe Sakura’s face is that obvious in showcasing her nervousness or the agent is acute but Lighting puts on a warm brotherly smile and adds. “It’s okay to be nervous. It’s normal. Everyone in the family has gone through it.”

 

Sakura doesn’t seem convinced. He chuckles. “Yes trust me. Mr Kim and Princess Minjoo? I have seen them with this same expression of yours now but look at them now.”

 

“Take a deep breath and rip the bandage.”

 

The fresh face steps out to a sea of flashing lights and her eyes try to adjust to the beams. She looks to her left, she spots her mother and stepfather proudly looking back at her. Sakura turns to the right and Minjoo is busy giving smiles and fanservice to people intensely yelling out her name. Sakura does what is natural and smiles - eyes roving from one end to the other to make sure there is a proper shot in every angle as her mother taught her.

 

“Stand closer together!” Most reporters are screaming out the same thing so it is hard to ignore.

 

As head of the family and a natural leader, Mr Kim guides his wife closer to the girls. “Come on girls, let’s huddle up.”

 

The family gathers together and the agents move aside so the reporters can take that money shot. It felt like ages of being frozen in that smiling position before Sakura hears her mother saying, “Alright, let’s go in.”

 

The older couple leads by walking first and Seo Woon and Sujin follow on each side. Similarly, Minjoo follows along and despite calls for Minjoo to collect presents from the crowd, she has to politely decline. Yet the experienced girl takes time to smile at fans holding banners with her name or picture. Yena and the agent brought in to replace Chaewon stay near the popular girl, keeping a constant lookout in case anyone gets overly crazy.

 

Last but not least, still trying to digest the overwhelming atmosphere, Sakura stays frozen in her spot. There are too many things to see so she is very distracted and it does not occur to her that it is weird she isn’t moving. Her eyes land on Eunbi who is physically distant from her - the agent is standing on the other end of the red carpet. Somehow the sight of the agent allows Sakura’s mind to refocus itself, focusing on Eunbi. Sakura’s mind now doesn’t feel like it is everywhere.

 

But Eunbi is doing something with her hand. Sakura can’t understand. Then Eunbi seems to be mouthing something. Come on? Where- Oh! Eunbi is signaling her to move on, that’s when Sakura realised she is lagging behind. Sakura hurriedly catches up with the rest of the family, rushing through the red carpet. Lightning - who handed over to another agent to park the limo - and Yujin are surprised at the sudden spurt and swiftly follows too.

 

Mr and Mrs Kim are waiting for their daughters by the end of the red carpet, watching proudly at Minjoo being the pride and future of Kim Corporation and Sakura, cutely trying to catch up.

 

“All good?” Mrs Kim asks when Sakura manages to reach them. Sakura nods whilst tidying up her bangs.

 

“One last photo for the press, girls.” Mr Kim proposes and everybody turn around flashing their picture perfect family look. It is indeed a sight to behold.

 

They move into the building where a grand flight of stairs awaits them leading to the ballroom. As the biggest focal point of the hotel, the grand staircase is still in view from outside for all the reporters to snap away the family’s every movement. Since the family has cleared from the red carpet, Eunbi likewise moves in with Chaewon who has joined her. The two agents are last in the entourage, a fair distance behind Lightning, Sakura and Yujin. Eunbi scans across her principals: Mr Kim and his perfectly tailored tuxedo, Mrs Kim and her beige flowy dress, Minjoo and her similarly long white dress and lastly, Sakura with her emergency black dress. Then it hits Eunbi.

 

The agent suddenly speeds forward, surprising Chaewon who thought they were keeping pace. Eunbi removes her blazer and comes up behind Sakura, holding her blazer wide open. Lightning, Yujin and Sakura’s senses are immediately heightened when they felt someone rushing towards them but relaxes equally fast when they see Eunbi. Sakura is confused at Eunbi’s sudden appearance and odd action with the blazer held midair. She pauses and looks at Eunbi and then somehow thinks to look back into the crowd and it hits her. Eunbi has anticipated with the height of the staircase and the angles of the reporters’ cameras would cause revealing sight to be presented.

 

Eunbi is trying to protect Sakura’s modesty.

 

Sakura’s eyes moves back to the agent who is two steps below her and maybe her expression naturally reflected both shock and gratefulness but all Eunbi does is smile back. There’s so much calmness emitting from the agent Sakura doesn’t even feel like she has anything to worry about. This agent can be trusted and she has been blind to see that. I’ve been an to her yet she’s been nothing but professional. What have you been doing Miyawaki Sakura.

 

“Let’s move on Sakura.” The deep voice from Lightning snaps Sakura out of her daze. She instinctively follows his words and the whole family and agents safely exit the public view.

 

Once Eunbi assessed that they are not seen anymore, she lowers the blazer. Sakura turns around and watches as Eunbi puts her blazer back on and is about to say something when her mother calls for her.

 

“Sakura, Minjoo.” The two girls respond to their names. “Joon Sung and I will go around doing all the boring adult stuff and so you girls can go off and relax for a bit.”

 

“Remember to be at our table when the event officially starts.” Mr Kim chimes in the last portion.

 

Sakura and Minjoo both nod to acknowledge and the older couple is immediately swept away by guests all wanting to congratulate them. Minjoo doesn’t waste a second and immediately moves away from Sakura and the girl is left alone. However, she remembers what she wanted to do and Sakura turns around only to spot Eunbi’s departing back.

 

“I am going to talk to her.” Sakura quickly tells Lightning and Yujin before running after Eunbi.

 

“Hey!” Sakura’s bangs fly messily in the wind. Eunbi stops when she hears the call and is slightly amused to see Sakura running towards her kind of awkwardly in that nice dress. The younger girl catches her breath.

 

“Something’s the matter?”

 

“Thank you for that.” Sakura unhesistantly says once her breathing regulates.

 

Eunbi instantly understands what Sakura is referring to. “No worries, it’s my job.”

 

The similarity triggers Sakura’s memory from just this afternoon. “It’s my job and I always make sure to do my job properly... I hope you know that.” So this time i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter