‘Cherry-time-out’

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon and Yena are already standing in position when they see who is approaching. Usually due to the long hours in school, the agents will sit themselves on the bench outside Minjoo’s classroom. It was a set up started by Mr Hong when Minjoo started school here to ensure the agents do not have to suffer on a daily basis. Once Chaewon and Yena heard the instructions from Chief sent through the universal communications line, they mentally prepared themselves for the arrival for their boss. Mr Kim naturally has a presence around him, charismatic aura surrounding one of the most powerful men in the nation. Chaewon at times wonder if such a thing can be hereditary because Minjoo too possesses that skill to capture the attention of a room the moment she steps in.

 

“Sir.” The agents bow when Mr Kim arrives.

 

“What class is she having now?” He peeps in from afar.

                                                             

“History class, Sir.” Chaewon answers. “Would you like me to excuse her from class?”

 

Mr Kim’s fatherly smile is spread wide across his face. Chaewon notices the wrinkles formed around his eyes as he watches his daughter intently. His daughter definitely got her looks from her mother. He knows it can be rude to say this and biased too but Minjoo is the prettiest girl in class. He can’t find anybody that can rival his daughter’s looks. Watching his daughter focusing so intently in class is stirring all sorts of proud fatherly feelings within him as he admires her fixated expression.

 

“Sir?” Chaewon probes as he doesn’t seem to hear her.

 

Mr Kim snaps out of watching his daughter and turns to the source of the voice.

 

Chaewon tries again. “Would you like for me to excuse Minjoo from the class?”

 

Mr Kim straightens up and glances back at his daughter. “It is alright. She’s so focused right now I don’t want to disturb her.”

 

The way a father looks at his daughter is one of adoration and love. Chaewon really wishes Minjoo could see this. Knowing how the girl thinks about the relationship between her father and her, and Chaewon seeing the opposite as an outsider pains Chaewon when she sees Minjoo misunderstanding her own father. Sure, the man was crushed when his wife died and his daughter being an exact copy of the love of his life pained him. However, that in no way came close to affecting his love for his daughter. The look on his face right now shows exactly that.

 

“Are you sure Sir? Because she will be very happy to know you are here to see her.”

 

Mr Kim takes his eyes off his hardworking daughter to the agent who just spoke up. Chaewon doesn’t know why she decides to speak boldly. Usually she would just respect his answer and keep quiet but today for some reason, she really hopes Minjoo knows. That her father whom she thought doesn’t love her as much as before, dropped by to see her in school.

 

Chaewon is a quiet and hardworking girl. Mr Kim knows she doesn’t speak unless necessary, so needless to say he is slightly shocked at her additional question, especially since it is one that is questioning his decision. He is never quite able to forgive the agent for letting Minjoo escape years back despite knowing the full truth. He believes that an agent’s fundamental job is to keep their principal safe and she failed to do so. Ironically, he also is aware that she is also the one agent who cares the most about his daughter. A father can tell when somebody is in love with his daughter and this agent has been feeling that way for a long long time now. So he understands why she is asking him again if Minjoo should be called out; yet his brain is telling him no. He was the one who strained their father-daughter relationship so he knows he doesn’t deserve to be receiving the love. He doesn’t deserve to call her out.

 

Mr Kim can only watch proudly at his daughter from afar. “Yes I am sure. I need to go for lunch and I don’t want to interrupt her.”

 

Mr Kim takes one final look at his daughter and turns to head back where he came from.

 

But Chaewon’s next question stops him midway. “Can I tell her you came?”

 

Mr Kim thinks about what she asked. He keeps his back to the agent and replies, “I’ll leave that to you to decide.” Then he walks off without ever looking back.

 

Chaewon stands watching the empty corridor with her brows furrowed. Yena looks at the silent agent who is obviously deep in thoughts. Although she makes fun of Chaewon for her seriousness and lack of interest in fun, Yena knows the girl carries a lot on her shoulders. Growing up in a military family, living up to expectations, protecting Minjoo and secretly loving her, Chaewon doesn’t talk about her struggles. It frustrates Yena for all the unspoken worries her friend is holding in but there is nothing she can do because it drilled in Chaewon’s personality. Yena turns back to check on their principal. Minjoo as expected is still focused in class.

 

“I’ll head out for a bit.”

 

When Yena turns back around, Chaewon is already walking away so she couldn’t even reply her. Yena simply shrugs when she feels someone suddenly getting past her. Hitomi briskly walks past Yena without acknowledging the agent to follow in the path Chaewon just left.

 

Chaewon stops at the balcony that faces the school entrance. She watches as Mr Kim steps into the limo with Mr Hong following along. The agent keeps her eyes trained on the limo as it exits the school iron gate.

 

Once it was out of sight, Chaewon purposely turns around. “Didn’t I tell you to-” She couldn’t complete her sentence because she is shocked to find Hitomi standing behind her instead of Yena. “Hitomi. It’s you.”

 

“Sorry, you must’ve thought I was Yena?” Hitomi moves to stand beside the agent on the balcony.

 

“Yeah. Why are you here? Is the class over already?” Chaewon looks at her watch but there’s still at least half an hour before school is over.

 

“Nah I decided to take a breather and I saw you here so I came over.” Hitomi half lied. She was watching Chaewon from inside the class when Mr Kim was speaking to her. Hitomi knows since the incident from years ago where Chaewon helped Minjoo to leave home and hence got into trouble, Mr Kim and Chaewon’s relationship hasn't been particularly good. He speaks to her in an apprehensive tone despite Chaewon’s best intentions for the girl. Hitom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter