A whole new world

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since that moment at the arcade, Sakura seems to have opened up a new world because she is seeing and feeling things she has never had before. Everytime she comes face to face with Eunbi she gets the odd feeling in her gut. When all the agent does is some simple action like holding the door, Sakura finds herself holding her breath. Hence her friends are a much needed buffer. The chaos they bring helps to drown out any awkwardness Sakura inevitably develops. Their outgoing nature has made them new friends - Yujin has introduced Yena to the two and game nights seem to be a new thing after working hours. Eunbi and Chaewon joined them once and Sakura found herself losing a lot that night. Sneaking glances of Eunbi just laughing at the comedic gag trio seemed more interesting than anything else. Hyewon and Chaeyeon have gotten more bold with their obvious admiration for the Captain and it frustrates Sakura to no end that she is unable to be as free with her thoughts. It took her awhile but at least now she understands where all the newfound unhappy feelings stem from. It is no longer an ambiguity after that moment after the race. Sakura stares back at herself in the mirror.

 

I am 100% having a crush on Kwon Eunbi.

 

She catches herself with a frown before she wipes her face dry with the towel. Sakura is getting ready to go to school and this somehow becomes her favourite part of the day. Mornings are the only time Sakura gets to be with Eunbi alone. Her friends are most definitely deep in sleep as she gets herself up for school. Sleepyhead fellow late-night gamer Yujin has been struggling to wake and only meets them straight at the car.

 

Sakura takes a deep breath and she opens her bedroom door.

 

“Good morning.”

 

It’s a good morning indeed. Sakura’s eyes naturally scan the agent up and down. How is it that she wears the same thing every day but Sakura still gets wowed everytime. The simple white shirt black suit combination just looks amazing on her. How has Sakura not seen that last time? I am not getting used to these new feelings yet. She squeezes herself out of the not fully opened door. my actions are so awkward.

 

“Good morning. Ah, I am so sleepy.” She says robotically.

 

“Then it’s good that it is already Friday.” Eunbi smiles. Truthfully, she knows it is a good ‘tired’ for Sakura. In the time her friends are in town, it is the first time Eunbi has seen Sakura so comfortable in her surroundings and genuinely enjoying herself. There were no thoughts of homesickness or any wariness about being out of place. Seeing Sakura for the first time this way makes Eunbi feel comforted. Gone was the girl who cried in the movie theatre alone. But will she feel this way when her friends leave?

I really hope not. Eunbi cares about her principal but she reduces it to because of their mutual truce to an amicable relationship. That should be why. Eunbi convinces herself. Yes, don’t think about other things Eunbi. You can’t.

 

“Oh by the way,” She remembers something and reaches into her blazer to pull out something white. “I think you should wear this later when we go to Myeongdong.”

 

Sakura takes the item from Eunbi. “A mask?”

 

Eunbi nods. “It is going to be uncomfortable especially if it's your first time wearing it but it helps prevent people from recognising you.”

 

Sakura is surprised, both at the item and Eunbi’s consideration. “I have never worn a mask before.” Sakura awkwardly fiddles with the item and decides to try it on. “In the US nobody wears a mask. It makes people look suspicious.”

 

Eunbi laughs at the honest comment. “In Korea, it doesn’t.” She watches as Sakura puts it on. The girl is obviously not used to it.

 

“It feels weird breathing. Am I-” She adjusts the strings around her ears. It actually hurts. “Wearing it-wrongly?” Sakura grunts at this small yet troublesome object.

 

“Let me.” Eunbi reaches over and unhesitantly corrects the mask. Sakura stands frozen at the gentle touches and she doesn’t even blink once. When Eunbi is certain the mask is now put on correctly, she wants to ask Sakura if she feels alright but the agent suddenly realises the proximity they are in. “Sorry. I didn’t r-realise.” Eunbi hurriedly steps back. She gulps.

 

“It’s fine. T-thanks.” Sakura mumbles behind the mask.

 

“Oh look at the time. We got to go.” Eunbi prompts for them to move.

 

Sakura nods, very thankful that Eunbi quickly move things along. The two walk.

 

“Are you going to wear it to class?”

 

“O-oh.” Sakura embarrassingly takes the mask off. Not cool.

 

The agent laughs and strangely, Sakura feels happy knowing she’s the cause of it. Then her heart skips a beat when she hears the agent say softly.

 

“So cute.”

 

Me?!?!?!?!?

 

--

 

Her friend is taking extra care of her appearance today. Sure, all the girls here do that even Minjoo herself does it but she knows her best friend long enough to sense that she is staring at the mirror… long enough! The class is changing into their PE attire and Minjoo is waiting for Hitomi to be done. The girl has been fiddling with her fringe - to have it or not, if so side parting or not and the variations can go on. Minjoo lets out a soft sigh.

 

Hitomi hears it. “Sorry, I am done.” The girl decided on no fringe.

 

Minjoo smiles. “It’s okay. Come on let’s go.”

 

The class gathers at the field. It is a good day to have their class outdoors as it isn’t too warm a day. “Okay class! Squeeze closer so I don’t have to shout.” Their teacher announces and the students all slowly oblige. “We are going to play softball today. Does anybody know what softball is?” Crickets… so the teacher jokingly continues. “That’s why I am going to teach you all today.”

 

As their teacher talks, Minjoo wants to whisper to Hitomi but Hitomi is clearly preoccupied with something. The girl keeps taking glances away from the teacher… and towards her agents. Chaewon unnie? When Minjoo asked Hitomi about the movie night - she was being a concerned friend and not for any other special reason - Hitomi said it was pleasant. That is the exact quote. Pleasant. That means good right? Just nice? Not amazing? Just nice like how Chaewon unnie’s nonchalant demeanor is.

 

Hitomi adjusts her hair again. Minjoo frowns. She looks at the agents. Chaewon is preoccupied with something Yena is saying animatedly; even though it looks as if Chaewon doesn’t care about what Yena is saying, Minjoo knows Chaewon is listening. Subconsciously, Minjoo also starts touching her fringe. She sits a little straighter.

 

“Nobody is listening to me.” The teacher says.

 

The class suddenly looks up and the teacher shakes her head in amusement. “Go pick up your gears and get into position. Game on kids!”

 

The one thing Minjoo can’t do well is things with her body. Unlike the amount of agile people she has around her, Minjoo’s lack of ability to get her limbs coordinated is strikingly obvious. She is assigned to one of the easier jobs - the right fielder - because it was expected that people would fail to even hit that far, yet that is on the contrary. Her classmates on the other team turn out to be better batters than anybody expected. Balls were flying far into the field and Minjoo and her fellow fielders had to run more to catch them. Sweat trickles down the side of her face as Minjoo catches her breath during the change of batters. She watches for the new player to step up but she also notices Hitomi in her line of sight. Her best friend is assigned to second base.


Player is up. Please don’t hit far. Or not towards me at least. Minjoo chant

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter