Awkwardness and Protectiveness

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That day after the conversation they had, they each carried on with more shooting practices. The activity helped eased away some unavoidable jitters that came after the revelatory talk. Sakura got better with aiming after the very memorable guidance and began to enjoy the activity which did not happen often, given her deep love for the virtual world. Eunbi naturally was consistent with her shots and after a few rounds, they decided to call it a day. The agent volunteered to help Sakura with her way back to her room and Sakura didn’t say more. Admittedly, she is more comfortable with the agent’s presence and the conversation definitely changed things - if anything, it should be Eunbi who should feel apprehensive not Sakura herself. Being the gracious person Sakura learnt to see, Eunbi brought Sakura back to her room with tips on how to navigate the large mansion. Thus the day ended there, not quite fulfilled as Sakura thinks about it today.

 

Today is the first day back to school and she is still left with the unknown on when Eunbi is back to duty. Sakura didn’t ask that day and Eunbi didn’t say. She is well already so why is she not back. I mean… she doesn’t have to be on my detail but why haven’t I seen her on any KIS duties?

 

Anyways, she pushes her thoughts aside and gets her backpack. Today is the first day back to school and she needs to focus on that. First time out in the open, sorta. She opens the door and behold, the agent is right there waiting.

 

Sakura’s surprised expression is so unmistakable, Eunbi cannot resist saying. “I don’t feel welcomed back.”

 

The principal immediately gestures her response, “No! Welcome back. I am just surprised to see you. I was expecting Lightning.”

 

“Chief placed me back on your detail, unless you have any objections…?” Even though they both mutually agreed to call it a truce, Eunbi just wanted to ensure there’s no more miscommunication. Another sabotage would not fall well on her and if Sakura wanted any change, now is the time.

 

Sakura shakes her head furiously. “Nope! Not when you forgave me for my sabotage and like save my life, I can’t complain.”

 

“You can if you want to.” Eunbi smiles, it is indeed a fresh start. “You ready, shall we?”

 

They head down towards the driveway and Sakura smiles widely when she reaches the living room.


“Unnie!” Yujin squeals and runs over with her eyes curled up and her ponytail swaying around like the tail of an excited dog. She does feel like a golden retriever at times! The joy on Yujin’s face is unmistakable and Sakura realises at that moment that she does miss the younger girl. Or… not?! Did Yujin grow taller! The girl runs and pounces straight onto Sakura, engulfing her principal in a warm hug.


Eunbi eyes the two of them.

 

“I c-can see that your arm has already h-healed.” Sakura chokes in the tight embrace. Yujin is really strong.

 

“Better than before!” Yujin sways Sakura around to prove it before she releases her. Sakura immediately takes in a deep breath and her dramatic actions make the young agent laugh.

 

“Alright we should go.” Eunbi interrupts their moment. Yujin recognises her Captain’s serious tone and glances at the clock. Still on track of schedule though… Either way, she follows her senior’s order and prompts Sakura. The principal follows before she does a second glance at the staircase she just came down from and Eunbi guesses what she is thinking. “Minjoo has already left. I heard she is going to Hitomi’s place before school.”

 

Sakura turns towards the voice. She doesn’t even ask why the agent knew what she was wondering. All Sakura does is smile and adjusts the backpack on her shoulder and she walks.

 

Yujin watches the whole scene play out in amazement. Where are all the glares and stare-down and near fights and and and- When Chief told them their reporting date and that Eunbi is back to being team leader of Sakura’s, Yujin was worried. Sure, Eunbi protected Sakura and all that but Yujin’s trauma ran deep for her time being in the crosshairs of Eunbi-Sakura. Now, it seems like things are not so troubling after all...

 

--

The car stops outside the familiar house. Minjoo heaves out as she glances at Hitomi’s front door. They haven’t spoken since the driveway incident in which she revealed Hitomi’s biggest secret and Minjoo regrets that deeply. She turns back into the space she is sitting in and gazes at the backs of her two agents up front - Yena in the driver seat and Chaewon beside her. Their wordless presence comes as much support for the girl and Minjoo appreciates it very much but she knows if she hesitates any longer, Hitomi will see them eventually when she heads for school. I already came all the way here, I can do it. She is your best friend.

 

Minjoo bravely walks up with a bag in her hand. The agents decided to watch her from the car; they want to give the friends their privacy. Minjoo knocks on the door and waits. She has never been this nervous in awhile, what if Hitomi is still angry? Will they still be friends? Can they-

 

Hitomi opens the front door and meets an equally surprised Minjoo. “Hi-i.”

 

“Hi.” Hitomi replies. “W-what are you doing here?” She looks down at Minjoo who is carrying a bag from a familiar brand.

 

“I brought you bread from your favourite bakery.” Minjoo tries to delay but soon realises that she should not avoid the hard part. She takes in a deep breath, “I am here to apologise for what I said the last time.” Minjoo looks unwaveringly into her best friend’s eyes. “I am sorry Hiichan for saying those hurtful words and most importantly, revealing something you trusted me with.”

 

Hitomi stayed silent for awhile and Minjoo is really getting nervous. She can feel the sweat on her palms as she grasps the bag tighter.

 

“Did you buy the cream bread?”

 

Minjoo makes sure she hears Hitomi’s words right. Did she not hear her apology? “S-sorry?”

 

“I hope you bought cream bread to ask for my forgiveness. Without it, I am afraid it’s going to be hard.” Hitomi says with a poker face.

 

“I-I did.” Minjoo croaks before she attempts to dig through her bag full to find the said one. Before she can find it, she is suddenly wrapped in a hug.

 

“I am kidding Kim Minjoo. I forgive you.” Hitomi mumbles against Minjoo’s shoulder before she releases her best friend with the familiar raised cheeks.

 

The smile lifts all the weight on Minjoo’s shoulders because not making up with her bestest friend in the world would have made it very painful - she had already lost so much. But being the girl who cannot hold back her emotions, tears naturally fall out of her eyes and Hitomi immediately hugs Minjoo again. The taller girl cries in relief of her stress and her best friend soothes by rubbing her back, patiently waiting for Minjoo to calm down. “I-I am really sorry for telling the world about your fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter