More than oneself

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The agents stop short of the entrance. “We will wait out here as usual.” 

 

Sakura merely does a quick bow with her eyes to the ground as she enters the game shop. Chaeyeon and Hyewon silently follow behind their friend and they feel the tension lifted once inside. Sakura had told them what happened this morning through Facetime which is funny given they are not oceans apart but Sakura wanted to avoid leaving her room until she had to. She was feeling very weak from vomiting and her body preferred staying still for as long as she could. Plus she knew she would have to face a certain someone and if she could delay it, she would. Meanwhile the two of them couldn’t come over because they had to pack before they fly off this evening. This is also the only reason why Sakura had no choice but to drag herself out. She did promise Hyewon that she would bring her to a game shop to get game titles that are unavailable in the US. 

 

Her friends were very supportive when they heard everything and even comforted her. But there was so much they could do because Sakura inevitably had to face Eunbi. When she saw hangover medication placed outside her door this morning, she knew who it was from but what use is there in knowing? While Eunbi kept with her professional self, Sakura felt that ignoring her presence as much as possible is her way of dealing with it. And the rest of them? Lightning, Yujin and the two friends have to deal with the obvious tension despite some not knowing what happened. 

 

Yujin figures keeping her curiosity in the back seat may be best too. She has never seen her senior looking forlorn before, from the way she watches as Sakura disappears into the game shop. However, the senior agent does not hold that expression for long as she instantly switches back to her work face.

 

“The game you want should be here.” Sakura walks over and traces her finger across a couple of titles before immediately picking out a box. “There.” 

 

Hyewon is impressed at the speediness of Sakura’s find. “Damn, do you work here?”

 

“Practically. I come here every two weeks.” Sakura glances around the familiar space. The game shop that she escaped into in the first week she was in Korea has now become her regular haunt. She has talked about it so much, her friends know they had to stop by before they leave.

 

“So that is why she said she will wait outside... as usual.” Chaeyeon deliberately mentions.

 

Sakura knows Chaeyeon was implying the familiarity between agent-principal but she isn’t in a mood to play into that so she responds factually. “It’s not a big space as you guys can see for yourself.” 

 

From Sakura’s response, her friends get the hint to just move on so they did. They browse through the wide variety of game titles available and in no time, Hyewon has picked out a stack she will buy home. Chaeyeon who isn’t as interested in games as her other two friends, ends up staring at Sakura who is toying with the physical boxes clearly disinterested. Chaeyeon walks over to her friend and leans on the rack. “So what are you going to do when we leave? You can’t  be pretending you don’t see her? How can you keep up with this tension forever?”

 

Sakura sighs. “Well eventually my feelings will go away, it’ll probably be easier then. I mean, it shouldn’t be hard. I probably don’t like her that much.” She turns to her friend. “It hasn’t been that long anyways.”

 

“Time doesn’t determine depth, Kura.”

 

Sakura frowns. “But what can I do? She has to be my agent, I have to be her principal so it just gotta be. Then she says it means nothing so that’s what it is too.”

 

“Sorry for dragging you to the club Kura.” Hyewon had joined in when she saw her friends talking.

 

Sakura shakes her head. “Not your fault. It was bound to happen anyways. In fact it actually sped things up otherwise I would still be speculating about what that kiss meant.” Sakura adds the last word in a soft mutter. “Nothing.”

 

“She stormed into the dancefloor, manhandled the man, walked us out, obviously very unhappy at the entire situation but said the kiss meant nothing. Pfft.” Hyewon refuses to believe that that is Eunbi's true feelings. 

 

“Okay Hye enough.” Chaeyeon reaches out and wraps her arm around her Japanese friend, resting her head on Sakura’s shoulder. “You know we will always just be one phone call away?” 

 

Sakura nods against Chaeyeon’s shoulder. Hyewon places her games by the rack and joins in the hug as well. “Is this the right time to ask for your membership card so I can get the discount?”

 

Sakura elbows Hyewon in the gut.

 

The girls had lunch with Sakura’s mother before it was time to send them off to the airport. There were some glistening eyes and slightly long hugs but the girls knew the two weeks they had together was enjoyed fruitfully. Sakura wishes she could have them here forever but she knows enough to understand that is no longer her reality. Her brain is muddled with sadness that her friends have left and also frustration from the situation between Eunbi and her. Right now she just wants to enter the comforts of her room and dive into the familiar virtual space. Her form of escapism.

 

Of course Sakura’s mother detects her daughter’s moodiness. She gently places her palm on Sakura’s lap as they are on the way home from sending the girls off. “You enjoyed having them here?”

 

Sakura nods.

 

“You will see them again. We can go over to the US in your next break.”

 

“That’s great. Thanks Mom.” Sakura pulls up a weak smile.

 

“So I am going to assume I am not going to see you come out of your room for the rest of the day?” Sakura’s mother says knowingly, it is obvious her daughter is going to lock herself in the gaming world for an unhealthy amount of time.

 

“Maybe… a little longer than that?”

 

Sakura’s mother her brows, giving Sakura the ‘I will not let that happen’ stare. “Sad for you because I expect to see you down for lunch tomorrow. I know you don’t have classes so I am giving you time to sleep in already.” 

 

“Okay…” Sakura responds knowing there’s no point arguing back.

 

“Please have your dinner. There’s kitchen staff so there is no excuse to miss your meals.” Her mother nags one last time and Sakura dramatically nods her head only for her mother to poke it.

 

Once they arrive back at the mansion, Sakura hugs her mother before heading in. Her agents follow behind but Eunbi is stopped by Sakura’s mother. The older woman keeps her eye on Sakura’s back and naturally, Eunbi follows suit. Even from afar it is obvious Sakura’s shoulders are drooping, her body language is not hard to read.

 

“She will be like this for a while, these friends are her closest after all. Leaving them again is not easy for her.” Mrs Kim takes her eyes off the space Sakura just left from and turns to Eunbi. “Can you let me know if she doesn’t take care of herself well?”

 

“Yes Ma’am.”

 

The older woman smiles and pats Eunbi on the arm before she takes her leave. Eunbi sighs. If only she can also agree with Mrs Kim that that is the only reason Sakura is behaving like this. Her words that night are every bit intentional, their purpose to hurt its recipient so why is it that seeing Sakura like this brings in an immense amount of regret? Was I too harsh? Perhaps. But did I have to do it? Yes.

 

Eunbi clicks on her earpiece. “Pluto, is she back in her room?”

 

Click. “Yes Captain.”

 

“Thanks Yujin. I’ll be taking a break, call me if anything.” Eunbi plucks her earpiece out. Admittedly the conversation they had last night is affecting Eunbi more than she thinks. Yet it was one that must be had if she wants to keep Sakura strictly in a working relationship; she is not planning on breaking the promise she made with herself - to never again blur the lines between personal and work.

 

Eunbi decides to take a walk outside the mansion, hoping some fresh air alone can clear her head but when she spots the bench where that very kiss happened, Eunbi’s thoughts are swamped again. She hates how she regrets it but enjoys it at the same time. The feeling of Sakura’s lips on hers when the girl initiates the greater intimacy by first capturing Eunbi’s lower lip. She kisses like how her personality actually is. Slightly rash but daring. Eunbi grins at the thought before shaking the fond memory off. Stop.

 

She quickly makes a turn to elsewhere, just not where they shared the special moment. Eunbi pauses when she spots the shooting range. Damn it, there’s a memory from there too! Eunbi groans under her breath and turns her head to the left when she vaguely spots a figure there. 

 

The place Eunbi is slowly venturing towards is not known by most people because it is hidden from sight by the tall trees around it. There are only a handful of people who know of the area behind it especially because it is of a special memory to one. 

 

“Minjoo?” Eunbi calls out when she is more certain.

 

The Princess turns around when she hears her name. “Eunbi unnie?” Her surprise is heard in her tone. “What are you doing here?”

 

Eunbi makes her way through the slightly overgrown bushes before getting to an area less forested. As this spot is not known to many, the gardeners have at times overlooked it, letting the vegetation grow and over time masking this spot. At first glance it is nothing more than ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter