8 - Late Night Fill

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CHAPTER 8

 

SOOJUNG’S POV

 

 

 

[Night time]

INT. [LA TOUR d’ARGENT; FINE DINING RESTAURANT IN PARIS]

 

 

Back then, dinners with my sister has always been one of my favorite bonding times with her. The two of us dining in our favorite restaurant, drinking the finest wine, chatting about everything we missed about each other’s lives over a scrumptious slice of Moist Chocolate Cake that we share.

 

It all changed when she met someone. That very someone whom I consider as the reason why my sister has been acting different than her past self.

 

Insert Tyler Kwon.

 

>Korean-American businessman she met through a friend.

>Former boyfriend of a famous Hongkong actress.

>Google him you will know the answers.

 

Being a good sister, I tried so hard to get to know him and be nice. Civilized is the right word I think. I’m doing this for my sister and no one else.

 

I love my eldest sister so much. She is 5 years older than me but sometimes I act and think like I’m older than her. I respect all her decisions in her life and career but sometimes… hmm. Sometimes I don’t get it.

 

For Jess, he was that person who stayed by her side when everyone else left. The man who encouraged her to once and for all put her dream into reality. That’s why Blanc & Eclare was born.

 

My sister knows fashion but when it comes to business, she has zero knowledge about it. She has the talent and the bank account but no background on how to bring her dream to life. That was where this Tyler Kwon entered.

He helped her build the business. The concept was sunglasses that Jess designed, the company structure was made. She was named the Creative Director while he serves as the CEO which made me wonder with raise brows.

 

Sure, he invested on the business. But my sister’s investment is bigger than his. Jessica practically used all her lifetime savings, money she earned from years of being Girls’ Generation Jessica just for her dream to become a reality.

 

Sure, he gets the investors and keeps the ball rolling by introducing my sister to people in the industry she needs to be acquainted from then on. Even launch Coridel Entertainment with the sole purpose of managing my sister’s music and acting career. But…

 

There is something really fishy about him. Especially when there are ‘news’ circulating that he is a ‘billionaire’ and has a lot of connections with influential people. Believe me, I tried to talk to my sister about it just for clarification because I’ve seen some tags on my SNS account. Those posts tagged on me saying a lot of information that can beat a college student doing their thesis report. I didn’t even know my sister is getting married soon nor already engaged to him!

 

I don’t know… I hope he isn’t a con man or anything. Some said he used his ex-girlfriend before to get business connections. Then when he met my sister he dumped her for Jess. That’s the rumour in Hongkong anyway, Jess didn’t say anything to me about it. *shrug*

 

He always accompanies my sister wherever she goes. Tyler is like a manager/bodyguard/assistant/driver/sugar daddy to my sister. He is always at her beck and call that I sometimes playfully labels him as Jessica’s Pet in secret.

 

She looks like she cares for him and he cares for her too. Wedding bells? Maybe. Jess is not getting younger anymore. She needs to get married and have a baby before she turns 35. I told her before that I plan on getting married before her and have a daughter before I reach 30. She answered me with a raised eyebrow “You? Get a boyfriend first.” she scoffed.

 

Haha… I really plan on having a kid. Actually, I already planned it years ago when I was still secretly dating Amber. Hehehe… anyway.

 

Did I made the right decision when I gave in to my sister’s call for help and invested a part of my hard earned money in her brand?

 

Because everytime I see the two of them traveling like jet setters in Europe and United States… hmmm… I feel a little annoyed knowing part of that money they spend came from all of us investors of the company. The CEO living like a rockstar while the investors are waiting for good results. Why am I saying this?

 

I haven’t seen any good results as of now. Sure, the New York store can be considered as a good result but then for me it was also a bad decision. The rent for that space in Soho is so expensive and lets be real here, the brand only earns from Jessica’s legion of fans. The sales target is rarely met, just enough to pay the rent. I rarely see any improvement in terms of customers. The Japan headquarters were also opened and yes, I also invested in it to help my sister. Its not falling down but also not thriving.

 

Oh well…

 

I’m not the one who will spend the rest of my life with him. I’m not the one who will see his face when I wake up in the morning. Hehe.

 

Mom said my sister is ‘smart for choosing him’.

[Some months ago…]

 

Mom: “He is a nice man, finished his degree from a prestigious university. I’m sure your sister has valid reasons to choose him.”

 

Me: “As you say so.”

 

Mom again: “Like how you had a valid reason to choose Amber before. Tell me honestly Soojung, what happened between you and Amber? She was such a nice young woman, gentle, respectful, also sweet and funny. She is a nice catch! Why did you let her go?”

 

Dad said she has an ‘interesting taste in… people’.

[A year ago…]

Dad: “Your sister has… an interesting eye for… everything. Just give her the benefit of the doubt. But being a man, I don’t trust him at all!”

 

Me: “Okay.”

 

Dad: “I trust that Harvard Scientist more than him.”

 

Me: “Wow… so you do like Amber for me back then.”

 

Dad: “Of course! She’s from Harvard! Getting her PhD, a smart conversationalist too. Such a nice young woman, respectful and has manners. I enjoyed exchanging ideas with her and prayed my grandchildren will inherit her brains.”

 

Me: “Oh… okay.”

 

Dad: “Most importantly, she loves my daughter and treats her with utmost respect. That’s why I trust her.”

 

 

 

See? Told you all. My parents love Amber Liu.

 

My mind says my sister is hypnotized.

[Just last month]

 

Jess: (looking at Tyler from a distance talking on his phone) “Tyler looks cute, isn’t he?”

 

Me: “So as Hani, DooE, Prince, Ginger, and Zero.”

 

Jess: “Yeah…-- wait, who?” (looking Kwonfused) “Anyway, admit it. Tyler is hot.”  

 

Me: (trying not to gag) “Ummm… Are… you… okay… Jess?” (feeling her huge forehead wishing my sister is feverish) Are you sick? Do you feel sick?”

 

Jess: (swats my hand away with a cold glare) “Stop it Soojung! I’m just saying my boyfriend is cute! Why do you act as if I’m crazy?!”

Me: “Well putting ‘cute’ and ‘Tyler’ in one sentence is not approriate at all dear sister.”

 

Jess: “Oh shut up! You need a boyfriend so you will know why I act like this.”

 

Me: “No thanks. I’ll pass if its a douche bag like your pet-- I mean, ‘boyfriend’. And by the way, I also acted like that before when I still have my girlfriend.”

 

Jess: “Until now you still haven’t forgotten about that silliness you had before?”

 

Me: (getting annoyed but calm) “Like how until now you haven’t let go of your feelings for Yuri unnie? Or how until now you still want Taeyeon unnie’s forgiveness?”

 

Jess: “Wake up Soojung! You and that Harvard fellow are not meant for each other! You are born to be a star! Korea will not accept that homoual relationship you had with that commoner. It will only ruin the years of hardwork just to be where you are now.”

 

Me: “At least I was happy. How about you Jess… are you truly happy?”

 

 

 

  

 

“Soojung! Is it too hard to be nice just once?” my sister hissed at me in a low tone. She is sitting on my left, sipping her Merlot. I rolled my eyes and gave her my nicest smile. Tss.

 

Her pet-- I mean Tyler, her boyfriend and business partner, left us for the wine cellar with his guy friend (“We are going to check the wine cellar downstairs. Only VIPs like us are allowed to see it!”). The ‘friend’ whom my sister mentioned yesterday when she texted me. Tsk tsk. Jessica is trying to be a cupid again setting me up with every men out there in Tyler’s circle.

 

They picked me up from my hotel and my bright sister can’t stop praising the guy in front of me. I swear to God she could have save her saliva and just gave me the LinkedIn account of the guy.

 

Kim Tong.

 

>Chinese, son of a Billionaire, studied in the US with Business Management degree and currently is a private investor.

(“Dad said he’s going to hand the Internet company to me soon, I told him I’m not yet done with my bachelor life… ).

 

>Has an extensive collection of luxury cars, fashionable, loves wearing luxury brands like Balmain, Balenciaga, Gucci, etc (he is wearing Gucci now from head to toe and possibly even his undergarment is Gucci).

 

>Loves women, socializing, traveling using their private jet, and attending parties.

 

>He won’t tell his age but he doesn’t have to. Just one look at his foundation filled face that fails to hide his acne scars - I can say that he’s in his early to middle 30s.

 

From the hotel to the restaurant, he talked about him and only him. I just nodded, smiled a little, then pretended I was busy with my phone. How I wish I can say No to my sister but I can’t… I love her too much and I don’t want Jessica to be mad at me.

 

The moment he opened his mouth to speak, its a big No for me.

 

Duh…?

 

I’d rather listen to Amber talk about how Climate Change affects the Polar Bears than hear this Tong guy talk about his LV bag collection and newly acquired Bugatti he uses to get coffee.

 

I’m Team Amber Liu all the way!

 

Speaking of that Amber Liu… I wonder where she is now…

 

I hope she already had dinner… she must be tired from her council meeting today… awwww… I miss her…

 

Sighing, I took a sip of water from my goblet admiring the beautiful night time view of Notre Dame from our seat. Paris is beautiful at night time… maybe I can ask Amber if we can take a walk tomorrow evening.

 

She said she will be staying for a week. I asked her if she can extend for a few days, she said its impossible because her work schedule is hectic. But she will try, she said. I understand her because even me, I have a schedule so hectic sometimes I don’t get a complete 12 hour sleep at all.

 

Jessica unnie broke the silence between us and spoke again getting my attention. “By the way, join us tomorrow for lunch. Kim said we can use their yacht and go boating in Cannes the whole day.”

 

I bit my lips hiding a smirk. “Hmmm. I’m gonna pass Jess. I need to get some rest before we fly back home the day after.” hehehe… a little white lie won’t hurt.

 

“Are you sure? Its going to be a fun day tomorrow, we get to go around Cannes and spend time together. Kim also invited us to Barcelona. He has their jet ready anytime.”

 

I turned my attention to Jess and saw her eagerness to make me say Yes. Her eyebrows raised waiting for my answer. I raised my eyebrows too copying her. “Tempting but No.”

 

“Oh come on! Soojung!~ a few days of traveling won’t hurt. Its a chance for us to have a short vacation of sorts…” I rolled my eyes at what she is saying then took a sip of my water again. Jess was still pitching her idea of a perfect luxury short vacation when my attention was caught by a group of newly arrived guests being ushered by the Manager of the restaurant. They look familiar…

 

The group is just 2 tables away from us and also with a table overlooking the view. The moment I saw the back of a certain person, I instantly knew who it is. Oh my God….

 

Amber!

You know that feeling? Like your chest is rumbling? The butterflies in my stomach fluttering non-stop. I feel so giddy just seeing her tonight, I don’t know anymore how I can hide this smile from breaking.

 

Awww… she’s here too…

 

She sat on her seat that luckily is facing me. A beautiful and regal looking old lady sat on her left while the guy whom I finally recognized as a very famous Hollywood celebrity sat on her right.    

 

Gosh. I feel like a teenager seeing my crush from afar. I shook my head and looked away, the smile on my lips never fading. Okay Soojung… calm yourself… pull yourself together… its okay… just act normal.

 

I turned my attention back to my sister trying to listen on how she describes the tiles she wants to put in our Bay Area family villa. She wants to renovate our family villa with much eagerness, thank God Mom said not too soon. Heck, she just had the kitchen renovated last year!

 

But my mind is still on that handsome Scientist 2 tables away from me. Oh gosh… did she see me?! I mean… maybe… I hope so.. the table lamp is bright enough though. I hope she does… oh God do I look alright?! My hair?!

 

I consciously threaded my fingers on my hair combing it and biting my lips. Lowkey looking at my reflection on the wine glass in front of me. Okay, I look alright. My lipstick will last…

 

Arrrrrrghhhhh!!!! I should go to the Rest Room!

 

Amber… save me from this doomed dinner. (T__T)

 

I smiled at my sister and pretended to take a sip of my wine. The truth is, I took that chance to take a glance at a certain someone 2 tables away. My heart flipping out and fluttering when our eyes met, those same beautiful brown eyes staring softly back at me yesterday while we were making love. What caught me offguard was the sudden wink because it got me choking on my wine. This Little !

 

“Oh my God! Are you okay Soojung?!”

 

I placed the wine glass down on the table and took the napkin, wiping my lips while coughing a little. Jess was rubbing my back chattering about how clumsy I am and everything but my attention was on that Little looking at me while scratching her nape. She mouthed a ‘Sorry’ looking so apologetic. I sent a glare to her direction mouthing the words ‘I hate you!’.

 

“I’m okay Jess, its just wine.” I said to my sister. Just wine and that Little over there making me do stupid things again.

 

My eyes rolled again when Jess said in a whispery tone without looking at me. “Well you better go and clean that up. Kim might see stains in your blouse… it will be embarrassing.” What the hell?

 

I looked down on my blouse and didn’t see any stain on it. I didn’t even sputter! “Its not stained at all, Jess.”

 

She only shrugged her shoulders and got busy with her Crepe spooning it. “Kim is a potential big investor for Coridel. Please be friendly and presentable when he gets back.” even pointing on me her dessert spoon filled with glaze. “He’s a really good friend of Ty.” before bringing it to .

 

Deep breaths Soojung…. deep breaths.. “Okayyy… he’s not going to invest on me so why the hell do I care? You know I don’t like being in company with strangers.” I took my dessert spoon too and scooped a small piece of the buttery glazed Crepe.

 

“Kim is not a stranger.” she said looking at me. I shared a look with her and shook my head in disappointment.

 

“For me he is.”

 

“Then be nice and get to know him Soojung. In that way he will not be a stranger anymore. I don’t see any problem with getting to know him. Who knows?…” Who knows what?

 

I scoffed and brought the dessert on my mouth, tasting the sweet and zesty flavor of the glaze. Its good but reducing the glaze will be fine. Its so sweet, the rum flavor is so strong, the butter tastes fresh though. My eyes drifting again to the direction of a certain tomboy. She was watching me while sipping her water, her stares making my cheeks feel hot. Stop it!

 

“He’s interested in you.” she said.

 

“Who?” I was too busy glaring at someone that I don’t even understand what my sister is saying now.

 

“Kim! We are talking about Kim! Hello Earth to Soojung!” oh.

 

“Well I’m not. Sorry.” I turned to my sister again and she was still busy eating her dessert. Thank God!

 

Or else she will witness my silly eye conversation with Amber tables away. *Sigh* I better go to the Rest Room and fix myself. I want to look good for her of course!

 

I took a glance at Amber again and saw her being in a conversation with her colleagues. Awww… she’s busy now.  

 

“Umm… I’ll head to the Rest Room.”

 

“Soojung--”

 

I didn’t even wait for my sister to acknowledge it and calmly stood up from my seat, my right hand on my chest to prevent my blouse from dipping low.

 

I’m done with the ‘Kim this, Kim that, Kim etc’ conversation. Eeew. I want this night to end immediately!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AMBER’S POV

 

 

I never thought I will see Soojung in this place tonight! I was already wondering when I can see her again after this very tiring day.

 

She did say last night that she and her sister Jessica has dinner plans today but I didn’t expect it to be at this restaurant. Our reservation was placed six months ago, considered lucky because some even does their reservations 1 year in advance.

 

I hope Soojung is fine, I think I saw her choking on her wine. Her sister is rubbing her back when she threw me that death glare. Hahaha! That woman...

 

Scratching my nape, I mouthed the word ‘Sorry’ smiling apologetically at her. She shot me with another glare mouthing ‘I hate you!’. Hahaha!

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter