25 - Old Friends

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 25

 

Whistling Rock Golf & Country Club

 

 

Soojung’s POV

 

 

I bit my index finger trying to hide a grin, watching Jessica, in her all stylish glory of a golf outfit that looks like she came out from a catalog, looking so grim and serious. Her golf ball ended up in a bunker after her drive from the tee box, the curse that left her lips earlier laced with pent-up frustration.

 

Even the beautiful scenery in front of her can’t even take away the grumpiness she feels. Who wouldn’t be grumpy? When everyone in Korea is literally calling her names that should be illegal and not be included in a dictionary.

 

Jess can play Golf, she’s fairly good at it. Well, sure, we can call her a novice since she only started last year, and the sole reason was that it will help her in dealing with business people. ‘All good business deals are done in the golf course’ was what her douche of a bag ex-boyfriend said back then. I’m not a business person so I don’t know much about it.

 

When I asked Amber if it’s true, she gave a small laugh and nodded. “Because Golf is like a form of networking, love. It’s not about what you know, well good golf skills are a plus... but also it’s about WHO you know. You mix business with pleasure by using your waiting time discussing a deal with a prospective client, at the same time getting to know them personally, while your other flight mate hit the ball in the green. Dad, for example… entertains business partners by inviting them to play Golf and entertaining them. He also gets invitations when they want to present an investment plan to him, hoping that a round of Golf will convince him to sign a deal of investment in their company. That’s just how the majority of businessmen do their dealings.”

 

“But don’t think that the sport is solely for business only. Some play golf as their pastime, as their sport. I play golf as a pastime, you don’t really have to be a Pro when you play it, but of course, at least make an effort to be good at it.”

 

Well, she wasn’t lying. I may sound so biased but Amber is good at playing Golf. I don’t understand the whole system but I do know that she got a single Handicap, enough to be brag around.

 

Going back to my sister, I’ve done everything that will help her release all the stress that she is carrying. Yesterday, we had a meeting with her former investors and explained everything that happened. Of course, they were devastated and demands that she gives them back their investments. We expected it though.

 

I’m just glad Jessica has her Hermes collection. She ‘sold’ a few of them and the money collected was transferred to the accounts of the now-former investors as payment. She wouldn’t touch the remaining money under the B&E account because she said it will make her more depressed if nothing will be left.

 

Now, the only remaining investor is Me.

 

She needs to keep the business running not just for her pride but also for the people working under her. They are already preparing for the launch of the Spring/Summer Collection before the Tyler thing happened. Postponing it will only devastate Jess and her staff because they have been working so hard for months.

 

“Jess, relax your stance…”

 

“Bend your knees a little…”

 

“That’s right… swing it with more force… think that it’s Tyler’s head you are hitting with your 9-iron.”

 

I watch Jess swing her arm like what Amber said, the head of her 9-iron connecting with the ball hearing that distinct sound of the ball hitting metal, sands flying. The ball flew over and finally landed on the green after her second try. I clapped my hands thrice to get her attention, which she did with a smile on her face full of relief, even giving me a thumbs up.

 

This golf day idea came from Amber. She said the other day that Jess needs to go out and show everyone that the castle is still standing and functioning. Staying indoors and hiding from the rest of the population will not help Jess and her company to rise up again. I agree with her but at the same time, I’m afraid for my sister’s safety too. And of course, the humiliation she might encounter.

 

Then the idea came to her that we bring Jess to the Country Club this weekend since she doesn’t have classes at Yonsei. It’s the perfect place to start before we incorporate her again into the ‘real world’.

 

Where we are now is a place exclusive only to members and when I say members, people who have the capacity to spend $20 for a 100gram plate of Kale Salad and a fresh cup of Kopi Luwak for $80. In short, the kind of people who burns money without care. I need my sister to bring back the confidence she lost and to learn how to stand tall again with her chin up while meeting people.  

 

Amber knows what is happening in B&E. I can sense from her the urge to help and I know her very well, she will help whoever is in need. She’s the kind of person who will think twice before buying a Porsche but will sign a check without much ceremony for a charity or whoever comes to her asking for help.

 

I know that Amber will do everything that I ask her to do. She said it herself, and that is one of her weaknesses that she acknowledges. But this is different, and I feel like I’m using her if I ask her to help my sister financially. She and her Dad already did a lot of help and still doing it to capture Tyler, with that my family is forever indebted to them especially to Uncle David.

 

She opened the topic to me last night while we were preparing to sleep, about the possibility that maybe she can offer something to ease the burden. I entertained the thought and well, I already showed her the financial reports of the company when Tyler went in hiding. We need a huge amount to last until the end of the fiscal year and also pay the debts that Tyler left. The debts include credit card bills, which my dear sister has no idea exists, that her then-boyfriend was using a company card when they go abroad and splurges on their trips.

 

 

“I’m willing to help, love. You know it.”

 

“I know… but… this is about money. You know well how risky it is in business, I don’t know anything about it while my sister is handling the business all by herself for the first time. She studied Fashion, I studied Arts. What if you don’t get what you paid for?”

 

“Soojung, business is all about taking risks. You are not a real businessman if you are afraid to take a risk. Just like the entertainment industry. You have to take risks for you to achieve a good career, your agency took a risk on three teenagers and debuted them almost a decade ago. Look where they are now? You and your group mates brought money and fame to your agency.”

 

“But… I don’t know if Jess will welcome it. You know how prideful my sister is…”

 

“I think I have an idea… and you need to be with us.”

 

“Tell me again, why should I listen to an Environmental Scientist?”

 

“You shouldn’t listen to this Scientist. But you love this Scientist so what else can you do?”

 

“What will I do without you, Liu?”

 

“Awwwww~~ stop that pout and kiss me, Jung.”

 

 

I’ve done everything I possibly can to help her.

 

This time, I will let Jess handle it.

   

 

The two of them came back to the Golf cart to join me, Jess sitting on my left while Amber took the seat at the back. They were discussing the distance of their golf balls to the hole and seriously it’s alien talk to me.

 

I handed the water bottle to Amber which she took graciously. “Thanks, love.”

 

“I’m hungry~…” I said with a pout while caressing my tummy.

 

“Me too… don’t worry, this is the last hole,” she said.

 

My sister elbowed me, chuckling. “You’re not even doing anything yet you’re hungry! If I win our bet, I’ll pay for lunch,” she said with an air of confidence. Amber and I shared a look, my girlfriend giving me a nod of approval.

 

“And if you lose?”

 

“You pay for our lunch.”

 

“Yah!”

 

 

 

We reached the putting green of the last hole and I decided to join them. Jess went on ahead of us with her Caddie who handed her the Putter while Amber and I walked behind them.

 

Amber held my arm and whispered, “We have a bet…”

 

“What is it?” I asked curiously. We stopped near the green, the combination of the mid-morning heat and Autumn wind was tolerable enough for me. I turned to Amber to fix the collar of her white Nike Golf shirt, smoothing the fabric.

 

“If she manages to sink that ball in one , I’ll be an investor at B&E.” the way Amber said it was so natural like we are just talking about buying a carton of milk in the grocery store.

 

And I do admit, I felt so good hearing that. It's like a heavy burden was lifted off my shoulder. Finally!

 

“Really? Who gave the idea? I mean, was it Jess the one who made the rule?”

 

“Yep, Jess did. At first, we were talking about doing a small bet. Like the loser buying lunch or dinner or cleaning the house. But then, your sister s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter