Not So Super

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 29

 

Not So Super

 

Four Season’s Hotel

Milan, Italy

 

Soojung’s POV

 

 

“Soojung…”

 

I opened my eyes upon hearing Hojoon oppa’s voice calling me. He was an arm’s reach away holding out his phone.

 

“It’s… it’s Mr. Liu.”

 

I took a deep breath trying to be calm and preparing myself for anything Uncle David will say.

 

All I hope is that Amber is not hurt.

 

I don’t know what I will do if…

 

My hands trembled as I took the phone from Hojoon oppa. I took another deep breath before bringing the device to my ears and spoke, trying not to choke. “He-hello… Uncle David?”

 

“Soojung! I won’t ask you anymore if you have seen the news ‘cause I’m sure you did. Don’t worry, Amber is safe.” the moment Uncle David said the word ‘safe’; I released the breath I was holding back. A powerful wave of relief washed over me, my heart full of overwhelming feelings that I started to cry.

 

Amber is safe. That’s all that matters.

 

He was consoling me over the phone, telling me that I shouldn’t worry about Amber and that she is out of danger. I can only answer him with sobs and ‘Thank you’ all throughout our conversation. He didn’t elaborate much about the situation but assured me everything is already under control. I want to ask him more details about what happened but decided not to. Amber will surely tell me soon.

 

“Have a rest first Soojung, my daughter is already on a flight to be with you. You take care of yourself, okay?”

 

“Is she hurt?”

 

“She— “ a pause. “She’s fine, no need to worry.”  

 

I hummed as an answer. The sudden pause made me anxious for a moment but I shrugged it off. “Thank you, Uncle David. I don’t know what I will do if something bad happened to Amber.”

 

“Me too, Soojung. Me too. When I learned about what is happening in the Capitol, I almost lost my mind knowing my daughter was there. Thank Heavens they didn’t let anything b-bad happen to her… I-I thought I’m going to lose h-her…” I bit my lips holding back another sob hearing Uncle David’s voice breaking on the other line. Amber is too important for all of us to lose, not now, never.

 

“Is Auntie, okay? How is she?” I asked. Auntie Val loves her youngest so much I’m sure she was also feeling what I’m feeling right now.

 

“She was so worried earlier when we heard the news since we know Amber was there in the Capitol. She even talked to Amber on the phone this morning… you’re Auntie is fine now and resting so you should rest too, okay?”

 

“O-okay… Take care, Uncle…”

 

“You too, Soojung. Oh, and by the way… can I ask for a favor?”

 

“Anything, Uncle… just say it...”

 

He paused for a while then sighed deeply on the other line before the sound of his voice came out from the receiver. His request brought a teary smile to my face.

 

“Please hug my daughter tight for me.”

 

 

After my call with Uncle David, Hojoon oppa and my staff tried to persuade me to eat because it was already past dinnertime. I can’t, my stomach feels so queasy I feel like I’m going to throw up again. I also felt so dizzy that I decided to take a nap after drinking the medicine the Hotel doctor gave.

 

I wanted to wait for Amber but my body and mind doesn’t permit it. I tried sending her messages but all were unread, the last time she was online was this morning before her meeting.

 

If I only knew taking a nap will give me nightmares, I shouldn’t have done it. 

 

I dreamed that I was running, running away from someone coming after me. My bare feet hurt from the endless chase along the gravel road, but I kept on going even though my feet are already full of blisters. A sudden force knocked me on the ground, falling face down. I tried getting up but the unknown creature has its full weight heavy on my back that blocks me from moving. I know it was there, I can feel it but I can’t see it.

 

My eyes went wide when the invincible creature started murmuring near my right ear, voice cold as ice but enough to terrify me. The volume of the murmurs increased…

 

‘Dead… she’s dead… you won’t see her again…’

‘Dead… dead… dead…”

‘She’s not coming back! She’s dead! Dead!’  

‘DEAD!’

 

“AMBER!!”

 

 

“Hey… hey… Soojung… I’m here…”

 

I open my eyes and the bad dream disappeared like thin smoke; Amber was above me holding my arms tight.

 

“Soojung… it’s me… it’s me…” she says gently. My eyes watered seeing her gentle but worried smile beaming upon me, her face having small bruises and a very obvious patch on her forehead with a red tinge in the middle. She pulls me into her and I bury my face into her neck letting out a sob and a sigh of relief. “I’m okay, Honey… I’m okay…”  

 

“I thought something very bad happened to you, Amber…” I hug her as hard as I can to confirm this is not a dream, that I am awake and this is reality. She takes my arms and pushes me back gently to look into my face, her thumbs wiping the tears on my cheeks. “Don’t worry anymore, okay?” she said. I stare at her dark brown eyes, her nose, her bruised cheeks. My right hand reached for her face caressing it.

 

“I thought I was going to die.” There was a slight crack in her voice when she said it. Her lips formed a small smile, her eyes watering. It’s as if she was holding out the emotions inside her but failed. I pulled her face closer to mine and planted a lingering kiss on her forehead and on the tip of her nose.

 

“And you didn’t. Thank Heavens…”   

 

She took my hand that is caressing her face and brought it to her lips kissing my knuckles. “I love you, Soojung. I love you so much.”

 

A teary smile escaped my lips, followed by a chuckle, “Well, this is your lucky day. I love you more, Professor Liu.” pulling Amber into my arms especially when I saw how the tears she’s been trying to hold finally fell. She wrapped her arms around my body, head resting on my chest as small sobs escaped as she let it out. Her body trembled as I hold her that I pulled her tight to my chest, kissing the top of her head and murmuring the nightmare is over, that everything will be fine. That I love her so much, more than I love Bacon.

 

I guess it’s the fear, the fear she felt while dealing with the situation earlier. I rarely see Amber break down like this. She was always this calm and composed person, the nightmare she experienced in Washington surely made a mark in her being.

Her body relaxes slowly against my hold as I the top of her head, down to her back in soothing circles. We stayed in that position until I felt her breathing become even, a cute snore escaping making me laugh.  

 

 

 

 

 

Professor Liu’s POV

 

 

“I won’t allow you to go back to Washington again…”

 

Soojung said in a small voice while my head. I fell asleep earlier while she was hugging me to her chest, as I cry like a child in her arms. I couldn’t help it anymore and broke down in front of her.

 

I felt so many emotions that threatened to burst from my chest, reuniting with her – alive and conscious – gave it all out.

 

I… I felt so scared. No, horrified. So horrified of that experience we had in the Capitol. Never once in my life that I e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter