11 - Stubborn Jungs

Our Spring of What Ifs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

CHAPTER 11

 

SOOJUNG’S POV

 

 

It has been a month since I came back from Paris and I already miss Amber so badly. We have been in constant communication ever since I left the city that reunited us. Facetime and WhatsApp is my best friend now, diligently communicating with Amber every day. I always leave a message whenever she is offline that she will answer immediately once she is available.

 

First week was a case of trial and error. Both of us have a very hectic profession, me in the entertainment industry while she in her scientific world plus the different timezone.

 

Dinner for me is Breakfast for her, working time for her is sleeping time for me. She had a very busy schedule when she was in the US, having 18-hour meetings and stuff that she barely had any sleep. She kept on apologizing for replying late to my messages because her phone will always be off while in meetings which I understood because it’s the same for me whenever I’m in photoshoots and filmings.

 

When she went back to their station in Antarctica, the line became better. She has more free time and well, we sort of made a schedule that we can follow. Now its been a month and everything is going on smoothly! Yes! Thank God!

 

‘Communication builds trust.’

 

That’s what Amber said and I totally agree. Not just about having open channels but also opening ourselves to each other. ‘No hiding now.. no secrets.’ she said. Telling each other what bothers our minds, sharing stories of our day and always reminding each other that soon, we will be together.  

 

We learned a lot from our mistakes in the past. I won’t let it happen again, because if it happens again...  if I lose Amber again…

 

I don’t know if I can take it this time.

 

 

 

 

 

Now about my sister, Jessica.

 

She came back from Hong Kong yesterday. She was away for a whole month! The last time we saw each other was in Paris after that disastrous dinner.

 

I was having lunch with Mom this afternoon when she broke the news that my sister has announced her arrival and wants to talk to me. Mom already knows about the misunderstanding Jess and I have, she told me to be mindful of my words if the two of us will have the talk.

 

I am ready for the talk. It took one whole month for that ‘talk’ to finally happen. I can say that my emotions now are more stable than the first few days of the revelation.

 

Yes, I was angry.

 

Right now it's more of disappointment rather than anger.  

 

“She is still your sister, older than you Soojung so, please… decent words only.”

 

Decent.

 

Tsk tsk.

 

I can’t promise Mom that I will only have decent words for Jessica but I will try.

 

Even Dad sent a text message a while ago, reminding me to be more understanding because I’m the younger one. That I should understand why my sister did those things.

 

“Don’t treat your sister like a murderer. She only acted based on her love for you.” - Dad.

 

I know, I should not feel this way. I know she is my sister. My sister who has been there for me when we were young, took care of me when our parents were away. The sister who lovingly hugs me when I cry over a wounded knee.

 

But she was also the sister who lied.

 

The sister who wants me to live a life just like hers. A life full of glitz and glamour, of luxury and prestige. Fame and money over genuine happiness.

 

She wants me to be with a man who can give me the life that every girl dreams of having. Big house, servants, a fleet of cars, a whole year of traveling. Be the trophy wife every man of rich and prestigious wants.

 

The thing is, I am not that kind of woman.

 

I am a woman who only wants simple things in life.

 

Fame? I already have it. And I’m not asking for more.

 

Riches? I worked hard to earn every cent that I call riches.

 

A fleet of cars? I do have my own car that I bought with my own money.

 

House? I am living on my own now, in my apartment with the view of the Han River. An apartment I purchased with my hard-earned money, too. Decorated the interior to my liking, filled it with furniture I bought.

 

Traveling? I travel a lot for work and also for leisure.

 

I am living the life I want and I am proud of it.

 

And now that Amber came back, I can truly say that I am happy. To have her back in my life again feels like a dark fog has been lifted up from my whole being.

 

I can’t wait to be with her soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Come to my unit, Soojung-ah. Let’s talk.’ - Jessica

 

 

‘Will be there in a few minutes.’

 

 

I heave a deep sigh and sent a reply to my sister’s message. After replying, I closed the message box and opened the new message from Amber. It made me smile and chuckle, shaking my head. Tss. Amber.

 

‘I miss you, I wish you were here Soojung… it’s so cold here… I need your hugggg 😭😭😭😭😥😥🥰

 

 

‘I wish you were here too! When are you coming over though… :( Mom and Dad has been asking… by the way… Babe, how’s dinner? Don’t work too hard :( ‘

 

 

I tapped the ‘SEND’ icon and stood up from my couch to get ready. Actually, I don’t even have to get dressed. Duh, I think this outfit is already fine. We’ll be inside her unit anyway… hahahaha…

 

I can see my reflection on the glass sliding door of my small veranda, the beautiful nighttime view of the city and Han River giving off a serene vibe. Inhale… exhale.

 

Let’s see… yup, I look okay. Hoodie, cotton pants,slippers.

 

I went on to tie my hair in a ponytail then smiled pointing at my reflection. “Jung Soojung you are cool. You are Soojung, you are cool.” I stared at myself for a few seconds then let out a small laugh. “Gosh, I’m going crazy.”

 

My phone chimed indicating another message. It was a reply from Amber that brought another smile and laughter to my whole being. This dork!

 

‘Dinner was Salmon and Steamed veggies, its good though… but my body is craving for you :’((( ‘

 

‘I mean MEAT. My body is craving for MEAT. That was a typo.  0_0’

 

HAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA

 

‘Don’t worry Soojung… I’m doing okay here. Working hard is part of my routine you know that. I try to get more sleep like you always say so don’t worry about me too much. :)) ‘

 

‘Please do tell Auntie and Uncle that I am more than excited to see them again. I’ll be there soon, my love. Like really soon, very sooooooooon hehehehe… :))) Can’t wait to see you again…’

 

‘I love you, Jung. <3’

 

Awwww…

 

How soon is that soon!?

 

I typed a quick reply while going out of my unit and sent it to Amber. Gosh before I forget anything else, I need to go and end this misunderstanding now.

 

That is…

 

If Jess will promise not to meddle with my life again, especially my love life. This is mine and mine alone, I don’t want her ruining this moment for me and Amber once again. Four years was such a long time wasted over nothing.

 

‘Aigooo~ poor Dr. Liu! Don’t worry babe, I’ll feed you a lot of meat once you are here. :) Let’s eat in my favorite places and I’ll also cook for you whatever dish you want! ^_^ ‘

 

‘I can’t wait for that sooooon so please just come immediately!’

 

‘BTW, my body craves for you too… >_^’

 

 

So much. I crave for you so much… it gives me sleepless nights.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JESSICA’S POV

 

 

 

 

You know that feeling when you suddenly regret something you have done, you want to correct it in the fastest way possible?

 

Because it’s what I am feeling right now.

 

The silence between me and my little sister is suffocating me. How I regret buying a wall clock and hear every tick it produces.

 

Every tick of the clock makes my heart pound, producing a feeling of nervousness with what lies ahead.

 

Ever since Soojung came, she has been quiet. Gone is the girl who jumps at me with glee every time we will meet. The girl who will go straight to my room and rummage through my luggage to get anything she will fancies.

 

What I have now is a woman, so confident and cold, sipping the coffee I made while lounging on my couch. She answers when I ask her about our parents or about her career. Short answers.

 

She didn’t even ask me how I am!

 

“Ehem…” she cleared , getting my attention. Soojung raised her gaze meeting mine and said, “Should we have our much-needed talk now, Jess? It’s been a month… you know..” she gave me a shrug then placed her empty mug on the coffee table in front of us.

 

Sighing, I took a sip of my Cappuccino before I spoke in a low voice enough for her to hear. “Yeah… we should.”

 

How do I even start this?

 

Apologize?

 

She folded her arms in front of her with a serious expression. Patiently waiting for me to start. Soojung’s eyes emit coldness it makes me shudder. I have to control this situation.. I am older than her anyway.

 

“Hmmm. Well first and foremost, I apologize if it took us a month to have this talk. My schedule was full overseas and--”

 

“You don’t even have any projects overseas, Jess.”

 

I stared incredibly at my sister, “I conducted business for B&E--”

 

“You were vacationing.”

 

“No, it was business. We were meeting up investors…”

 

“Why do you even need investors when I invested in B&E? You too… 90% of your life savings is invested in your business. Even Dad! I thought Tyler is your major investor?”

 

I thought so too….

 

“That is how a business goes, Soojung. You have to get investors to keep the business running and expanding--”

 

She chuckled cutting me off “Jess until now the business is not expanding as what was written in the proposal he showed to you… to US. How can he even get investors to put in their money in your business when his portfolio only mentions your career.”

 

Wow. When did she learn anything about business?

 

“What ever happened to B&E Japan? And the flagship store in SoHo… Jess, our expe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter